GPS Advice (Sat nav!)

Options
alisonengland
alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
Just in case anyone thought GPS was a new workout or diet pill...I need to buy a GPS as soon as I get to the US. I am going to be in LA and have never driven there before. Can anyone recommend a good one, I have occasionally gone for cheap ones which seem to want to kill me. My first one kept urging me to drive straight ahead when there was a cliff and a 300 ft drop ahead!
I don't really want to spend more than $150 though.

Thanx!

Ali x

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a Best Buy when you get in. The two brands that most GPS lovers like are Garmin and Magellan. Garmin has a new system called the Nuvii and it has turn by turn direction and is portable. They range about $100 USD to $350 depending on the model and features. The Magellan is called SE4 and out of 126 reviews gets 4.5 stars out of 5. That one runs about $100 USD.

Good Luck. Have a safe trip.

You can go to their website ahead of time and check them out: Bestbuy.com
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have a TomTom and I paid $100 for it. Sometimes you need to update it through your computer since road construction changes aren't automatically detected by the gps.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I got a Tom Tom for my birthday that I absolutely love! It retails for about $90-100. I highly recommend doing the computer updates periodically to keep things current. Mine has never led me astray and I take lots of random, spontaneous road trips with it!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I too absolutely LOVE my tom tom, you do need to update it on the computer as mentioned above from time to time, but its SUPER easy and the updates are FREE!!!
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have Garmin and LOVE it... I got mine on Overstock.com, Amazon also has them at good prices... good luck!
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will look into all those....I have a Tom Tom here and it was good until I loaded extra European maps into it. Now it thinks I am in Austria all the time. If I set out to go to Liverpool for example, a 45 mile trip, it tells me it will take me 22 hours!:laugh: