Do I eat too much tofu ?

Options
Hi guys. I'm not looking to gain weight/muscles/bulk, only to lose fat. MFP recommended I have 105g of protein a day, and I eat one half block (150g) of tofu each day in addition to proteins of other plant and lean animal sources to match my requirements. But today I had a light lunch at 5pm, and by the time 11pm rolled around I was so hungry I had an entire block (300g) of tofu ! I am a woman. Am I consuming too much tofu ?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Some hunger is to be expected and tolerated when you're eating at deficit. My advice is to keep protein at 25% of calorie intake or less (or about .5grams of protien per pound of body weight, to mix units). MFP gives suggestions, but you don't have to follow them!

Over-eating protein is not necessary to maintain muscle while dieting. What is needed is continued exercise. Also, protein is a poor energy source, so if you eat too much of it, you steal too many calories from your fats and carbs, which run the engines and satisfy hunger. I think it helps to go higher in fats, meaning nuts, oils, cheese, and butter, and cut the carbs, still eating at a deficit. This satisfies hunger maximally. A salad with nuts, cheese, olive oil (in a vinagrette), and tofu is very filling.

Tofu fits pretty well with a low-carb approach: It has both protein and fat and is low carb.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've had some people caution me about soy's effect on estrogen levels, back before I joined MFP. TBH, I haven't looked into it enough to know how to separate the 'woo' from the 'real'. And many of the people who warned me were people who held with the blood type diet and the evils of aspartame, so I'm sort of considering the source here.

I eat tofu and other soy products without restriction and haven't had any medical advisory to do any differently.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've had some people caution me about soy's effect on estrogen levels, back before I joined MFP. TBH, I haven't looked into it enough to know how to separate the 'woo' from the 'real'. And many of the people who warned me were people who held with the blood type diet and the evils of aspartame, so I'm sort of considering the source here.

I eat tofu and other soy products without restriction and haven't had any medical advisory to do any differently.

I heard that it's not good for estrogen hormones. I was reading about vegan choices. I can't remember the exact source tho. I haven't don't enough research to figure out either.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yuck, that's a lot of tofu. I try to stick to 3oz of fake meat (vegetarian) like tofu, tempeh, seitan, tofurkey, etc. and get the rest of my protein from yogurt, shakes, nuts and beans. Unless you just live tofu, there are wY getter options.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff on the estrogen and studies, and something I'd never taken note of.

As for the original question, just don't let too much of any one food crowd out any other macros or micros. If you like something you can eat it, but the end goals are still there for overall calories/macros/micros. I'm not sure if I would eat that much tofu in one meal, but there is certainly no real harm in it if you make it fit with the rest of your day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Yuck, that's a lot of tofu. I try to stick to 3oz of fake meat (vegetarian) like tofu, tempeh, seitan, tofurkey, etc. and get the rest of my protein from yogurt, shakes, nuts and beans. Unless you just live tofu, there are wY getter options.

why? not all fake meat is equal, some is made of soy... sure. But seitan is wheat gluten, quorn is made with mushroom, etc.

Anyways, OP, i always recommend this video on the topic by unnatural vegan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQFYONMcTg

I personally love tofu and soy in general and i get probably 3-4 servings a day 3-4 days per week.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about tofu. It's been proven to have little to no effects on hormones again and again. Tofu is delicious