Shoes for gym training

Options
I've been a runner (on and off... more off lately) my whole life, and I know all I need to know about running shoes. Zero-drop, minimalist, maximalist, stability, cushioning, racing flats... I've tried em all.

Can I use running shoes in the gym? They seem to roll my foot forward a good deal. What should I look for in a gym shoe that's not running-specific, and should I take into consideration my overpronation/flat feet?

Replies

• ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Would this be for lifting? If so, you need the exact opposite of a running shoe--you want a solid, flat, stable base. No squish. Many people use Converse/Chucks; I myself am a fan of Vans classic slip-ons.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I use Vans also. The toe box is wider than chucks and much more comfortable. I am looking at getting some Sabo deadlift shoes as I don't need a heel raise for squats. Some people really like about a .66 to .75 inch heel raise for squats and olympic lifts. I just want a stable flat shoe. Hell sole could be made from wood and I'd be fine.

If you plan on doing crossfit or any cardio in the same shoes your requirements might be different than a straight lifting shoe.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Aha just what I thought! I may go in my skate shoes, the sole has no squish and they're nice and wide.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about floor lifts, any type of flat shoe will do - chucks, skateboard, minimalist, etc.

Any other type of lifting, it really doesn't matter as much.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I wear wrestling shoes
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I wear the two same shoes for all of my workouts: nike free rn, and nike free run. They are super comfortable, lightweight, don't have a huge heel, and easily slide on and off. To make that process even easier i use Zubits.

For squats and deadlifts i just pop my shoes off and lift with socks only. I find this works best for me personally and i can feel it in my feet. I have used lifting specific shoes and i simply prefer to lift barefoot.