Protein confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    There are a handful of studies out now that show if you keep your protein intake high you can loose fat while gaining muscle while resistance training, even with trained individuals.

Well that would be recomp but there's high protein intake relative to lean mass and there's, what on the face of it, seems excessively high.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There are a handful of studies out now that show if you keep your protein intake high you can loose fat while gaining muscle while resistance training, even with trained individuals.

Okay, I'll grant that but there has to be a limit to that. The greatest I've seen is 1.4g per pound of LBM which is still 60g less than her recommendation.

Maybe I missed something but she weighs 138lbs. 138x1.4= 193.2. Her nutritionist wants her to eat 200g a day. That is 6.8g over the highest recommendation.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Okay, I'll grant that but there has to be a limit to that. The greatest I've seen is 1.4g per pound of LBM which is still 60g less than her recommendation.

Maybe I missed something but she weighs 138lbs. 138x1.4= 193.2. Her nutritionist wants her to eat 200g a day. That is 6.8g over the highest recommendation.

LBM.... she's 138# with 27% BF. She doesn't have anywhere close to 138# of LBM
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I have not read that the 1.4g/lbs should be based off of lean body mass. If there is a study that says such please let me know so I can read it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have not read that the 1.4g/lbs should be based off of lean body mass. If there is a study that says such please let me know so I can read it.

yes, it's based of lean body mass often referred to as "FFM" in studies. imagine if you had every obese individual eating per pound of total body weight.

i'm out and about right now, but i can certainly provide info later tonight.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Thanks.

Lemon sent me a study the other day and it had the 1.4g/lbs but I thought is was per pound of body weight. I also thought I saved the study but I did not. In most of the studies I have read it describes the upper limit as 1.2g/lbs of body weight with at least .24g/kg of protein (from a good source) in each feeding with .2.5-3g of leucine to trigger muscle protein synthesis to be ideal. I skimmed the study Lemon sent so maybe it said 1.4g of lean body mass and I just read over it. Ill see if I can find it in my History.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Often times, when referring to BW, those studies are done on competition-level (often close to comp-ready) bodybuilders that have little body fat in the first place. As such, there isn't a real big difference between FFM, LBM, and BW.

In any case, that's really just majoring in the minors for the vast majority of people.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    They typically say if the study was done in trained or untrained individuals, some even describe specific body compositions.
  • stebolaz
    stebolaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please accept my apologies. My nutritionist says my protein goal is 158 grams a day. I must have been looking at a day when I did a lot of exercise and my fitness pal added in extra grams for a total of 200 for that particular day. I do a crossfit program 3x a week/cardio 2-3x a week. My LBM went from (Sept'16) 32-27% (May'17) and my RMA more than doubled during this time up to 2250. My registered dietician said I need toads more calories to support this new gain in muscle I have achieved or I will feel tired and lose the muscle. My weight has gone up, yet I fit in my same "small" size clothes, but they are a tad tight. I think I look chunky, hence the "ugly duckling" comment. My trainer assures me this is normal because I am retaining water during this building phase. I was happier with my look back in February when I was thinner in my midsection. But several trainers and dietician say, based on my numbers, to keep doing what I am doing. I have another dexascan on 8-10. Hopefully, I will see the my BF number drop below 27%.