How to stop over eating?

Options
I used to be very good at sticking to my calorie limit, but lately I have been going over due to parties, going out to eat, etc. I dont mean a little bit over...a lot over. I dont know how to stop. I used to have such good will power, now when I see cake or chocolate I have to have it. I am at a party right now and have already gone 1,500 calories over my limit! This needs to stop! Please help

Replies

• dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been the same way lately
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been like that lately too! I've decided to start pre-planning my days (food-wise), so that I assure that I won't go over (as long as I stick to the plan). I understand what you mean about being at parties and it being hard... I guess all there is to it is that you have to make a decision; eat your limit or have a good time and eat over.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you have your goal set too low. What is your height and activity level? I'm sure you could afford to eat 1400-1500 and still lose. 1200 for most people is not sustainable. As someone who tried to go that low before, it's really hard psychologically to stay that low for such a long period of time without binging. Additionally, I would also suggest some different food choices. Maybe try and cut out some of that processed junk that is very good at messing with your cravings. I would obviously suggest more fruits and vegetables; stuff you can eat more quantity of and feel fuller for longer with.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would have to pass on the parties. If my presence were required I would make it short. Priorities.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, in the end, you have to decide which you want more. . . Your health or the party life.
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have a sedentary activity level...I rarely do physical activity
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Do more activity. Then you can eat more!
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go, plan what you'll drink ahead, and log it before you head to the party to make sure it fits into your day.

Also, I looked through your diary a little. Are you gaining weight? Going through a growth spurt? You might just need more calories than 1200. You might also consider getting more protein and eating more veggies.

I'd recommend bumping up your calories, and working out. Instead of going out to eat with friends, go swimming or to play frisbee at the park or just on walks together.

My BFF and I plan for two, hour long walks with our dogs weekly (or if the weather is crappy we mall walk), solely so we can gossip and catch up. We used to just "hang out" and sit around at my house or the dog park, but since I wanted to increase my activity level, I suggested this and we both get our girl time while I get a little cardio.

Honestly, you're at a healthy BMI, and this might be your body's way of telling you you need more food. If you don't like the way your body looks, start some strength training to tone up, that will probably make more of a difference than eating less for you right now.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Said simply....and to quote Dennis Leary. "Put the fork down". I know it's not really that easy but you have to make the commitment if you really want to lose weight.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

You're...125 pounds? I can't make the exact weight out on your ticker. Well I plugged your numbers in the link below for 125 and your BMR comes up at around 1400, and your TDEE comes in at 1679. Very few people are truly sedentary, so chances are that your burning more than you think you are. I would seriously consider raising to 1400 for a trial period. The less you have to lose the smaller the calorie deficit should be.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Cut back on your partygoing.
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this changes anything, but I am also a peskatarian
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cut back on your partygoing.

Life has parties. She has to learn to control her eating. It's about learning to make the right choices.
  • slimyouth
    slimyouth Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've done that myself today, done brilliantly for two weeks and then, bang, we have a family get together bbq and i'ts all gone pear shaped, just couldn't keep off the burgers and party food, plus had a few more beers than i had planned for. It's so hard, especially when all the guests arn't dieting. Back on track as of tomorrow, starting with a good, long fast walk. Stick at it.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't think not eating non-fish meats has anything to do with this. I have to agree that your calories are probably too low.

I'm 5'0", and 120 lbs. I just started exercising 3x a week for 30 min. Usually, I only walk less than 3 miles a day doing normal living. I eat between 1200 and 1800 every day depending on how hungry I am. I also go to parties sometimes, and I have eaten over 3600 calories in one night. Those weeks I am not losing weight but my total trend is toward weight loss.

At your height and weight, you have little to lose and it will be slow. You should have a small deficit from a much higher calorie goal. My BMR is higher than your calorie goal, and I'm 3" shorter.

You are likely eating because you are hungry; it's easy to overeat when you get "over-hungry".

As for party strategies, just think about the food you are eating, log it as you go and make choices. Have 1/2 cup ice cream instead of 1.5 and call it a day. There is no easy answer except treat yourself better on non-party days, and say no to crazily excessive amounts of food at parties.