My sister is being weird again...

Options
Jdismybug1
Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
I've always been pretty certain my oldest sister has some kind of OCD and/or control issue. She has only ever been diagnosed with anxiety as a child.
(Both of my older sisters live my husband and me. The oldest doesn't make a lot of money at her job so the middle sis buys her groceries. Older sis makes the middle sisters food to help out.)
I've been cooking more often and using the crockpot. (Usually only on sundays)
She came in the kitchen and asked why I use a food scale, that she just eyeballs all the servings that she makes for my other sister.
Then she asked "oh you bought more Rubbermaid containers?"
Yes, because she gets irritated when I use any Rubbermaid containers and will ask me a thousand times if I remembered to bring them home.
Then she came back and asked if I was using the crockpot next Sunday because she needs to use her grill (at 1 am) and we don't have a lot of counter space.
I'm certainly not getting up in the middle of the night to make my food. So yes the kitchen will be free.
If I use certain bowls to mix she will comment that it's hers, and make sure I don't put it in our fridge. She needs it. Then I will look and it's washed but never used by her.
Doesn't this sound a bit weird and possessive? I feel like I can't seem to do anything in my kitchen without her trying to be controlling. 99%of the utensils, pots, pans, bowls have been bought by me, my middle sister, or my inlaws left it here for us to use.

Replies

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    You are being more patient than I am. Don't get me wrong, I am very patient with my sister. She is bipolar, and have gone through so much with her. I am just not as patient as you seem to be in this post. I would have done told her that this my damn kitchen, and if she doesn't want anything of her used, than put it up with her belongings (room/box/chest/drawer/closet etc.), and I can cook any time I want.

However, if she is having a behavior that is completely different than her normal daily behaviors, I would take a note of it. I would try to keep an eye on her, just in case her anxiety is a little more than anxiety. The biggest thing is determining if these comments/behaviors are stemming from an underlining issue or if this is one of her personality trait.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Why not talk to her. There should be some house rules.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I think you're being weird again

Your face is being weird.

ejx7jrf64kkl.gif

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maybe someone needs to move into different living arrangements? I assume it would be your sister. But yeah, no thanks to living with other adult women. I'd cut someone...
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I think you're being weird again
    I'll take that as a compliment
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Why not talk to her. There should be some house rules.
    We've tried talking to her and telling her to cool her heels about things and she repeats the same behaviors over and over again eventually . I know she likes cooking, and she cooks for my other sister, I'm thinking she's afraid that for some reason the tools she needs won't be there? That's all I can fathom.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    Maybe someone needs to move into different living arrangements? I assume it would be your sister. But yeah, no thanks to living with other adult women. I'd cut someone...

I wish that were the case, she doesn't make enough money, with the way rent is out here she would either be homeless or in a shelter. No matter how much she drives me up the wall I can't do that to her.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »

I wish that were the case, she doesn't make enough money, with the way rent is out here she would either be homeless or in a shelter. No matter how much she drives me up the wall I can't do that to her.

Ah, that is too bad. I understand. Sometimes I forget how bad it is in areas with higher cost of living. I'm sorry it's a stressful situation though.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options

Ah, that is too bad. I understand. Sometimes I forget how bad it is in areas with higher cost of living. I'm sorry it's a stressful situation though.

Definitely. I just bite my tongue most of the time. I'm actually at a point I want to laugh at her sometimes because she gets a little ridiculous. I have to vent about it.
    She's a very loving and compassionate person in her own way, her quirks make a person want to lost their "kitten" with her sometimes tho.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    200w.gif[img][/img]
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    200w.gif[img][/img]
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    200w.gif[img][/img]

:D:D
  • BoosDimples
    Options
    If it's your place_ your rules. Simples.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    If it's your place_ your rules. Simples.
    :D:D I want this to be simple. I really do. It's just easier said than done. I'll at least say there's never a dull moment in this house.
  • BoosDimples
    Options
    Yeah, I hear that... still, be the wolf or be the sheep... :wink:
  • Jdismybug1
    Options

I put my foot down as much as I can. It just gets to a point you have to pick your battles.
  • BoosDimples
    edited July 2017
    Options

I put my foot down as much as I can. It just gets to a point you have to pick your battles.

I used to do that too.... 'til I discovered "affects my life? my fecking battles". Would they prefer a warrior, or a doormat...? The answer says more about the people you're surrounded by...
  • Jdismybug1
    Options

I used to do that too.... 'til I discovered "affects my life? my fecking battles".

I'm just not going to fight my sister when she's going to repeat the same actions again and annoy me.
    I'd rather battle over making sure the bills are paid and everyone has a roof over their head.
    I'm more than willing to vent my annoyance and thinking it's weird rather than have the same fight over and over.
  • BoosDimples
    Options
    Venting your annoyance doesn't trump facts. Believe me. I know.