MRE'S

Options
jruch23
jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
What do you guys think of them as far as nutrition? I heard some people order these regularly if they are trying to bulk because they are high in protein and calories.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness they taste terrible, have low protein, they'll plug you up like you've never known before, and they usually have very high saturated fat. An entire MRE usually has around 1200 calories, so they don't even have that many calories for the amount of damage they'll do coming out of you. They're also expensive unless they're expired. A jar of peanut butter would be better in every way.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    *Shudder*
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    In all seriousness they taste terrible, have low protein, they'll plug you up like you've never known before, and they usually have very high saturated fat. An entire MRE usually has around 1200 calories, so they don't even have that many calories for the amount of damage they'll do coming out of you. They're also expensive unless they're expired. A jar of peanut butter would be better in every way.

Lol really? I've had one before and it wasn't so bad. Sounds like you've eaten a lot of them
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    jruch23 wrote: »

Lol really? I've had one before and it wasn't so bad. Sounds like you've eaten a lot of them

I have eaten too many and she is 100% right. Have you had the "eggs"?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jruch23 wrote: »

I have. The longest I had to live on them was a little over a month. The first few are a bit exciting, but eating more than a couple of days worth takes a toll on your body and your taste buds. I eat a lot of "junk" food and still do fine fitness wise even when I am cutting for a competition. MRE's took a toll on my performance and overall well being even when we supplemented with extra protein sources.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've had them and I didn't mind them so much
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Aren't they really high in sodium? Not to mention low in fiber and EXPENSIVE.

I looked up one: Beef Patty = 4,305 mg of Sodium and 61 grans of sugar (holly shirt).
    http://foodassets.com/info/why-do-we-not-recommend-mre.html
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity, I did a little research on MREs and discovered this is by design. I supposed when you're in a combat situation you can't take a break for a little quiet time.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was on a primarily MRE diet for about 2.5 months once, and I lost a ton of weight. After a while, you just can't keep forcing them down. They are terrible and probably have more carbs than protein, so if you're bulking maybe not the optimal one for you (I dunno what your macros are like). They are 100% not worth buying or eating unless you're in a truly desperate situation.
    FWIW, most people won't eat an entire MRE just straight out. They're designed to break apart into components that you can easily eat on the go (for the most part). The newer evolutions are much better than the older menus, but they're all terrible. I've never wanted fresh vegetables more in my life.