Cucumber recipes

Options
MrsW1915
MrsW1915 Posts: 33 Member
I may have planted a few too many cucumber plants. (First year gardener) Help! What do I do with them? What are your favorite ways to eat cucumbers or Recipes you put them in.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho! There are a lot of different varieties. Red (w/ tomato), White (w/ grapes), Green (w/ lettuce and spinach) and then there are others with fruits like peaches.

I put them in salads, lettuce wraps, summer rolls, on burgers and sandwiches. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/thai-turkey-burgers.html

I use them as the main ingredient in salads. Like greek salads such as Shepherd's salad, Tahini salad and Tabbouleh. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shepherds-salad.html

Make dressing with them for salads. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html

Make salsa with them. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/cucumber-ranch-salsa.html

They are great in fruit salad too. Adds a melon like flavor and great crunch. Good with strawberries and melon.

I also like eating them sprinkled with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This recipe for tabouleh is my go to when I have lots of cucumbers:
    http://rickacooks.blogspot.ca/2009/03/minty-tabbouleh.html

Cucumber relish.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/cucumber-relish-11147
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches - I'm planning on making it for tomorrow.
    https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/07/avocado-shrimp-salad.html

I modify this recipe to suit what I have on hand and usually use about 4x as much cucumber as this recipe calls for.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lacto fermented pickles! http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-kosher-dill-pickles/

Knew I was missing out on something from Farmers Market yesterday. We need pickles! I'm allergic to peppers and sensitive to additives so a lot of store bought pickles are out of the question, but these are so delicious and so good for you and super easy (just waiting time) and will last for a long time in the fridge.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Corn and cucumber salad! My own version of a friend's recipe. Diced cucumber, roasted corn cut from the cob (or frozen/boiled), diced red onion, feta cheese, dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.

I dice mine up fairly small, but you can do it any way you prefer. My friend puts olives in hers, but i'm not fond of olives.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Peel, slice, and salt 3-4 English cukes (or approximate volume equivalent in other varieties) overnight. I use 1 tbsp of salt for 4 cucumbers. If not using English cukes, seeding is optional. So's peeling, come to think of it.

Rinse in colander, drain, and put a plate with a 2-5 weight over them for at least 2 hours. Rinse and drain again.

Transfer to a bowl or tupperware. Add one sliced onion (red is nice for color, but any will do), 1/2 tbsp sugar and a few good shakes of pepper. Add 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Stir, cover and refrigerate. The longer it sits, the better. I typically have it in the fridge by Friday noon and by supper time, it's okay. By Saturday lunch, it's great.
  • cleatusbo
    cleatusbo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are great for smoothies added with apples or bananas etc....
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love cucumbers! They are so low-cal and delicious!

My favorite ways to eat them:
    • Quinoa tabbouleh salad - main ingredients are quinoa, cucumber, cilantro, lemon juice. I also add chopped peppers, celery, rinsed black beans and mango for a super-healthy and hearty version.
    • Fresh salsa with mango, cucumber and avocado
    • Sliced cukes with hummus for a snack
    • Added to stir-fry. Especially good with a sweet and sour stir-fry. Just add them at the very end and stir just enough to warm them up but still keep them crunchy.
  • tekki1967
    tekki1967 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cube them small with a little bit of olive oil, onions and dill. Maybe a little bit of garlic salt.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I just bite into them whole.

I really like them in salads with sesame oil and chili oil though
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Little cucumber sandwiches ( replace bread with cucumbers put turkey and cheese in between ) ..soak in fresh lemon juice , pepper and tajin seasoning ...make a cucumber salsa ( chop finely cucumbers , add cilantro, lime juice , garlic , tomatoes and fresh Mango. Whole wheat tortillas with cream cheese and cucumbers . Cucumber alcohol smoothies - 1 whole cucumber peeled , crushed ice , fresh lemon juice , salt and tequila :smiley:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daughter had the same problem. She sliced the cukes and added chopped onions and pickled them with sugar.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is refrigerator pickles which will last a couple weeks. Or you can go whole hog and learn to make and can real pickles ...

Refrigerator pickles - seconded!

Also, cucumber soup. Cucumber/onion salad. Here's an interesting, weird salad concept: smashed cucumber salad (http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/05/smashed-cucumber-salad-i-crushed-this.html) - try it with seeded cukes if yours are not the English style.

Some good ideas on this thread: salsa, relish, etc. ... Yum, in the summer, I'm not sure if a day goes by without some form of cucumber in the diet. Good luck.

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat them cut into chunks with golden plum brand chinese black vinegar, soy sauce and some chili oil on top of them.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Spiralize and eat with peanut sauce.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • PeachyFit
    PeachyFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Volumetrics book by Barbara Rolls has an amazing recipe for a cold soup that uses cukes blended with greek yogurt and lemon juice as a base, then you also add more diced up cukes, corn, tomato and herbs. It is so, so good it's become a part of our regular rotation. I can't find the recipe online, though.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    PeachyFit wrote: »
    The Volumetrics book by Barbara Rolls has an amazing recipe for a cold soup that uses cukes blended with greek yogurt and lemon juice as a base, then you also add more diced up cukes, corn, tomato and herbs. It is so, so good it's become a part of our regular rotation. I can't find the recipe online, though.

This actually sounds really good.