So I lost the weight... Now what?

Options
Alinamariec
Alinamariec Posts: 42 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
After a very long time I have finally lost most of the weight. I know I have more to go but I want to change my focus from strictly weight loss to toning and have no clue where to begin. Any advice on workouts that would help or diet tips would be very helpful!!

Replies

• Alinamariec
    Options
    Thank you! That was very helpful. I guess the problem is I don't know where I need to be or how much weight would be appropriate for me to gain in order to achieve this
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle as a female will be harder for you than a male. It takes a fair bit of time to grow the muscle tissue to see a change. You will easily be able to see the changes coming to scale back or increase training depending on your goals.

I agree with @RavenLibra you need to figure out what you want to look like or do. From there research out a program that fits that goal. A crossfitter looks much different than a runner, and they both look different than a power lifter.
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Aside from the cardio work... consider some body weight work for strength training... push ups sit ups crunches, bicycles, squats and walking lunges... 4 sets 10-12 reps you will be amazed at how much that will boost your physical confidence... think of any work out plan in 12 week increments... okay so maybe push ups are tough and you can't get a full 4 sets in... start with planks... on your elbow then move onto a full arm extension from that position... as for adding muscle weight... don't be too concerned... if you set your diet to maintenance... you will be lucky to gain 1-2 lbs over the course of a 12 week period... you have lost the weight... so you have the tenacity ... as you do gain strength and muscle... and with a proper diet you may actually lose a few more lbs... I have been lifting regularly for about 8 months... haven't lost a lb... but my waist is 2 inches smaller... and maybe 3 ... the tough part is making time... schedule your workout into your daily routine... and stick with it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Were you exercising while losing weight? While you lose it is a good idea to do some resistance training or lifting to help retain the muscle you have. Not sure how much you have left but I would definitely start now. Then once you get to/closer to goal you can work on recomposition.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am about in the same place you are except a little older (OK a lot older lol). I am just about at the body fat goal I had set.

My main method was walking, lots of walking 20 or more km's a day in hilly country. In the past running or swimming had worked until I would pull a muscle or tendon, or the pool would close for maintenance or something and I would stop. The weight would come back on and I would have to start over again so I decided walking would be a lot easier on my body. I would bike but that is out of the question due to my circumstances. (Living and working in a third world country at the moment, no good roads.)

I have started adding in some body weight exercises to get more muscle tone. I am not interested in bulk just tone, so dips, squats, pushups, burpees, planks and similar exercises for now. I will also be adding in some basic yoga for flexibility.

In a couple of months, I will be leaving here and heading somewhere a little more civilized. I will have a routine consisting of about an hour low-intensity cardio like walking or biking. I will add in strength, I have both the P90 and P90X videos and will follow one of these a day. I also have a couple beginners and intermediate yoga video’s and will use them for flexibility. If possible I will also join a gym not only for the exercise opportunities but the social aspect.

I am interested in all three legs of fitness, muscle strength/tone, cardio/endurance and flexibility and will keep them all in some balance.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like to follow a video with a full upper body or lower body routine, it takes the guesswork out of it. There are tons on you tube. The first few times you may want to follow the video without using weights, to make sure you're concentrating on developing good form. Then add light weights. You can increase your weight when you feel ready for more of a challenge.

For cardio I do a preset routine on the treadmill (usually intervals of running and walking), go walking or hiking outdoors , or do workout videos in my living room. Find something you enjoy that gets you moving and do that on a regular basis!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Were you exercising while losing weight? While you lose it is a good idea to do some resistance training or lifting to help retain the muscle you have. Not sure how much you have left but I would definitely start now. Then once you get to/closer to goal you can work on recomposition.

Definitely this.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    to tell you the truth, i've been lifting three or four times a week in very busy public spaces, and i've seen women with all the different body types powerlifting. i really mean all the types, at all the different ranges of strength and 'heavy' lifting. not that i'm selling my personal 'thing', just that it's the only one i feel like i have enough info to comment about.

just saying, it makes sense to pick a personal-aesthetic direction you want to head in, but i wouldn't pick whatever you do just on the basis of 'i want to look just like her!' factor in what you're going to enjoy and what interests you too, because the chances are good that whatever that is, there will be a similar gamut of 'looks' doing it.

congrats on your progress and gl with the next step.