Does anybody have one "eat as many calories as you want" day a week & lose weight?

Options

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    No, as I could easily blow through my deficit for the week with one day over eating. I do have a reefed day about once every 10 days. I eat 200 past maintenance on that day, no more than that. Really don't change what I eat just up the portion sizes.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    no...Being an adult who wants to get healthy stay healthy and maintain it healthily means i tossed the whole "eat as many calories as you want" mindset out of the window...Not a healthy way to think. A day of that would easily blow 1-2 weeks of my hard work away...Not worth it...Plus that would likely make me binge hard im not sure why anyone would do that to themselves. Make what you like fit...Be consistent. Cheat days weekly are rediculous enough, Let alone eat as many calories as you want days.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger and there's nothing I can do with it. This said, I keep Mondays (weigh-in day) to indulge and I still have 6 days to get back into routine. It works for me and I'm loosing steadily (17.5 lbs in 11 weeks)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    I'm on OMAD and eat as much as I want and lost 12lbs in 6 weeks to get to 98lbs. And with no exercise.

98 lbs. is a good weight if you are very, very tiny. It's a low-healthy BMI if you are 4'11". If you are taller than that you are probably underweight and should talk to a doctor about gaining.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It happens once in a while, but not intentionally. My deficit is way too small and the margin of error way too thin for that.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have "cheat meals" twice a week. Usually Thursday and Sunday nights. I still log everything I eat and I still try to not overeat but I try to genuinely not think about the calories and enjoy the food. I also let myself have a little booze those nights too. Since it is not a whole day and it is spaced out I have always felt like it lets me feel less deprived during the week.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I quite overweight and have been eating enough for two folks to get to twice what I ought to weigh and maintain that long term. Thus, I am now in re-training mode. Not only am I restricting my caloric intake but I'm training myself to think of that intake as my "new normal."

"Cheating" would imply I'm getting away with something -- that something being consuming too many calories. I will not get away with it. It will do what it's always done: prevent me from having a healthy weight.

When I do go over for a day, even if it's a take-out Chinese supper, I do my best to log it in the diary. If I go into the red (eat more than my allotment) on a particular day, I take that number of calories and and use quick-add to add it to the next day's breakfast. It may take me a couple days to get back to my limit but it does mean I have still eaten the correct amount for that week.

There's a current example in my diary. A couple nights ago, I fell back into some late night snacking habits. I went over by 474 calories for the day. I quick added them to yesterday's breakfast. I was still over 250 for this morning and hope to undo the rest of that 250 calories today. I did my late night snacking but instead of feeling guilty, I'm paying for it. Next time I think about late night snacking, I'll remember that it requires compensatory action on my part. And today, I'm just trying to end the day at zero instead of "in the red."
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Nope never done that I have had over days When in the midst of losing my weight about once every 2-3 months.
    Eat whatever I want would easily clear out my whole carefully built up deficit of the week
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as I want every week? No. That would completely wipe out my deficit. A higher calorie meal now and then though is fine in my opinion.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight doing that?

No way. I can eat 5000 calories in a day easy. I try to balance my calories over the week so I can indulge a little some days.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight doing that?

No way. I can eat 5000 calories in a day easy. I try to balance my calories over the week so I can indulge a little some days.

I find having a little bit of something I crave spaced out also cuts down on the binge desires. If you are constantly having a bit of what you crave, you never hit that point where you want to over eat on it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I could easily blow my entire weeks deficit in a day like that.

Me as well. Without even trying. Nope. Would never do it or advise it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    No. If I had that kind of self control I wouldn't be on here needing to lose 120lbs. 80lbs. :)
  • NotATrain
    NotATrain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every Tuesday, we go to my in-laws' house (or out with them) for dinner. They often make very high calorie (or at least high something) dinners. I don't have a cheat day, but I do have a cheat meal I guess. I think I'm going to start taking half-servings, though, because I'm not getting very far (although that may be because of bad late-night choices, too).
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do that once a year - Thanksgiving. Definitely not once a week.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I eat over by a few hundred calories semi-regularly. Not enough to undo an entire week's worth, but maybe only a day or two's worth. No regrets.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I gain weight when I do that. And generally end up feeling lousy. However It's not nearly as much if an issue when I limit it to one meal. It's much easier to accommodate and work off one very large meal than several.
  • briana_aka_bunny
    briana_aka_bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a general rule of i can eat what i want.. I just have to burn it off. Like i can eat that brownie but it will cost me an hr on the treadmill
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options
    Heh. No.

Even as a li'l ol' lady (61) weighing in the 120s, I'm more than capable of eating and drinking 5000-7000 calories in a day if I go fully off leash. I wouldn't lose weight very fast if I did that once a week! ;)

I also think the whole "cheat" idea is dysfunctional. I had some over-goal days here & there while losing 50+ pounds, usually on special occasions, and always with understanding of how much delay it meant in meeting my long-term goal. That means, among other things, that I logged all of it to the best of my ability.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    No.