This is what worries me about maintainance...

Options
2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    I've lost about 46lbs since March. I wasn't massively overweight but was unhappy with how clothes fit etc, and the idea that if I go up I'll stop fitting into 32 inch trousers freaks me about because of all the hard work to get there. It's the summer break for 6 weeks now so I'm aiming to run 6 days a week, at least 7KM a day, possibly 10 on some and want to move up the rankings at the running club, so I'm sure that would counteract any bad choices or mistakes?

The bad choice you are making right now is not eating enough to fuel your activity! Not sure how you are functioning!
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Keep making the best choices, allow to have a weight range, if it goes under, knowing needing to eat a bit more for a while, if it goes above over time, needing to adjust a little..

Let go of being at a fixed number, though aim staying in a healthy weight / body fat range.

• _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    On Saturday I posted about how I had finally met my target of 12 stone, by cutting to 1660kcal p/d and not eating back exercise calories. I'm now starting the road towards maintainance and plan to gradullay increase my intake. Sunday morning I was bang on 12 stone, I consumed 1800kcal (+140 on old target) but also went running and burnt 400kcal. Today I get weighed and I'm 12 stone, 3 and a half lbs! How is that even possible?! Being at that 12 barrier was a big deal for me, and this is what worries me going into maintainance as that's quite a jump! I just don't get it, I didn't even eat enough to put that on! Any advice?

Recast static "12" as a fixed range you will live with, to accommodate the inevitable fluctuations - water, food volume in your body as you digest, etc.

I had a similar inflexible "number" - and I wanted to maintain that number (not a range). Doesn't work that way.

Really, my # was an "upper limit" number that I wanted to stay beneath. I should have therefore continued my journey, dieted a few more pounds below that number (e.g. in your case, maybe 11 stone 9 or 10?) and then gradually transitioned to maintenance. That way, I would fluctuate between 11 stone-whatever and the magic, mental "12".

Also... congrats!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I've kind of accepted that anything beteeen 11 stone 8 and 12 stone 6 is a good range. Would that sound right?

How many calories should I be looking at to maintain? Bearing in mind I just don't like eating back exercise calories so I'll leave them as I have been doing! 1600 has been manageable for the last 6 motnsh but obviously isn't long term. It just pretrifys me and I get a little obsessed that after all this hard work it'll go to waste!

It's going to be a bit nerve-wracking at first, but remember that it took a long time to lose that weight; it also takes a lot of time to gain. You have plenty of wiggle room to figure out what you need to eat to keep your goal range. I found the MFP algorithm to be spot-on.

Also, you may find you log for the rest of your life, which is OK. I've accepted this as part of taking care of myself.