Body recomp

Options
Links welcome. I'm wondering when and where to start. I have 13 lbs left until my goal. My plan is to finish insanity and possibly a recomp after that? What has worked for everyone in the past? What would you suggest to move onto next after insanity?
I'm basically looking for ideas.

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I figure I have 10lbs of fat remaining, give or take. I decided to try a recomp. I'm eating 10% above Maint on my lift days and 15% below on non lift days. Lifting program is Stronglifts 5x5. Running a about 3 days a week or more if i can fit it in...no calorie intake adjustment on running days.

barring this back injury, it was going pretty well. about to ramp back up as my back is feeling better.

I don't have any hardcore results to share yet as I was just getting going.
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Checkout BodyBuilding.com, lots of strength training programs there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes it's worked for loads of people whether they call it recomp or not - check out the Maintaining Weight forum.

Training effectively is key. If you have little experience of weight lifting (the optimal stimulus for recomp) then would make sense to start with a beginner's routine to learn good form and build a foundation of strength.
    Don't wait until you get to goal weight though.

Here's a useful link - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    A balance of diet and exercise has worked for me.

My current opinion about diet is controversial on MFP. I have used a high protein/high carb but low GI/low fat diet w/macros of 40P/40C/20F. You can do a simple Google search for what constitutes a low GI carb.

Over the past year, I have lost 38# (196 to 158) and dropped my BF% from over 20% down to 8.7% using this diet and these macros. Most of the weight loss was in the 1st 5 months. I have been in maintenance for the last 5 months and in the last 3 months I effectively "recomped" (coverted, if you will) about 2.5# of BF into LBM (lean body mass).

My exercise program is not very rigorous but it does involve doing a split upper and lower body workout routine 4-5 days a week doing only compound lifts and/or body weight exercises. You can see the details in my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance subforum.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    To go with the useful link by sijomial about lifting programmes, here is a link for recomp. You could start lifting now, when you finish insanity, and just keep at it through to maintenance and it will become a recomp.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Cheers, h.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help!!!