Why are Carbs bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• MsFreeman
    Options
    Listen.....I am 22Months Post Op. The first year after Surgery I severly LIMITED my Carbs. Reason being was NOT because I didn't want them but it was tough getting in PROTEIN First....then Veggie....then Lastly Carbs if I had any room left. The weight came off of course but I really don't think it was because of a Carb deficit but mostly a calorie intake deficit. Let's face it we ALL could only eat like 400calories a day for a long time and slowly was able to increase. Anyways....after about a year I was able to hold more food and now I can hold about twice as much. So I EAT ALL the carbs I want...mostly complex ones (potatoes....bread....rice) and it DOES NOT affect my weight loss. I am a HUGE Sandwhich Lover...Always have been so I eat a Sandwhich pretty much every day and with White Bread. I also LOVE French Fries....and I eat them at least twice a week. I use little oil in them but still they are potatoes. I eat rice occasionally. NONE of these have stalled my weight Loss. Bottom Line is no matter what we eat it is calories in verses calories out. And we DO Need a Balance of Carbs...Fat....Protein...Water...etc to Feel Good Each Day. I hear people who have had Surgery CONSTANTLY say I don't do Carbs.....but I think that is not Healthy for any of us cause the body NEEDS them. Plus I have noticed that for a year when I was eating very little carbs (NO COMPLEX only the carbs that came in veggie and meats) that I had a LOT of Dizzines...Lightheadedness etc. Now that I ENJOY them regularly I don't get those feelings anymore. I still make sure I get in Adequate Protein & Water Each Day and then I include my favorite carbs and I am still doing Great in this Journey. This WORKS for me. HOPE this Helps.....Rachel
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic and I can see a marked difference in my blood glucose on a low carb diet. I love carbs but have given up the majority of them for now to reduce my blood glucose and get this under control. There have been recent studies regarding this that supports doing this. Duke University has done one of them.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to wheat, so no bread, pasta, etc. for me! I eat rice occasionally, and potatoes rarely. I don't miss them.

There are carbs in fruit, and carbs in vegetables, so it's all dependent on where your carbs are coming from. And as others have said, maintaining the proper ratio with fats and proteins is very important.

But, here's something I want to say because of your comment that you lost weight and gained it back.

Just because you hit your goal weight doesn't mean you're at the end of your journey. I might get pounced on for saying the following, but it's true. You need to maintain your weight loss for at least a year to enable your body to adjust to your weight loss. Many people have had the experience of losing weight, and then in a year they have gained it all back and sometimes more. It's because your body has to adjust it's "set" point and it takes a year or so for it to do it. So let's say you've lost 50 lbs, and now your weight is 150. That's great! BUT, your body still thinks that normal is 200, and it will keep trying to get back to 200, because that's where it thinks it is supposed to be. After a year or so at your new weight, the body resets itself, so finally, 150 will be the new norm.

I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm saying this to motivate you.Next time you get to goal and maintenance, what that means is that you don't get to go back to how you ate before. You don't get to stop working out. There is a set amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight, and you need to meet that set amount. You need to continue working out. Your journey has at least another year to go at that point, and after that year your body will adjust, you will have the knowledge of what you need to do to maintain and the confidence to keep healthy.