Phentermine 37.5

Options
I started using phentermine and I would like to know if anyone else has tried it and had good results. I'm struggling as it makes me so full that I don't even want to think about food. It may be a good thing but I have to literally force myself to eat and most of the time I get nausious while taking it. This is now day#4 of taking it and I have lost 4 pounds already(water weight). How do I get myself to eat with this medication without feeling sick?

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I took it for several months after I had my 3rd child. It was helpful and I lost a lot of weight, but it ultimately lead to other issues, so I'm not a huge fan of these types of medications.

However, since you are already taking it...

My advice, is to talk to your doctor. They may tell you to cut it in half. It significantly lowered my appetite but never made me nauseous.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I took it for 2 miserable weeks. I got just about every negative side effect on the list, other than heart damage..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I used it for one month. It worked great. Then I weaned off of it because it did make me irregular and I didn't want to deal with that any more once I had my good habits established.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    I started using phentermine and I would like to know if anyone else has tried it and had good results. I'm struggling as it makes me so full that I don't even want to think about food. It may be a good thing but I have to literally force myself to eat and most of the time I get nausious while taking it. This is now day#4 of taking it and I have lost 4 pounds already(water weight). How do I get myself to eat with this medication without feeling sick?
    Stop taking it? Have you even considered why you're taking it? And once you reach your goal, what the hell are you going to do about controlling your eating if you can't do it now WITHOUT a drug?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    Stop taking it? Have you even considered why you're taking it? And once you reach your goal, what the hell are you going to do about controlling your eating if you can't do it now WITHOUT a drug?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is true. I was once on a pain killer (6mths) which drastically reduced my appetite and gave me amazing energy. Long story short, within days of quitting it my appetite went way back UP to normal.

Phentermine may help you lose weight, but it will NOT help you maintain it. This you have to learn all on your own with no chemical backup. It artificially blunts your appetite, it does not get you or your body used to eating less (which some people think), you eat less because it makes you not hungry. Your hunger and appetite will come roaring back as soon as you stop taking it.
    Phentermine usually equals repeat business, folks are fine and dandy while taking it, they stop and regain, and then jump back on to the phen merry go round.
  • RoseBlossom2017
    RoseBlossom2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is not healthy due to side effects! Several years back I tried it and figured out if I got the lowest dosage and cut in half, it eliminated side affects... but after stopping it seemed other medical problems developed and I am convince due to phentermine! It takes 21 days to break or develop a new habit! The safest and best way to lose weight is naturally with healthy foods and good nutrition and encouraging family and friends! Be careful using medicines for weight loss! What others wrote to you is true...the appetite comes back and the weight comes back too! You can do it... try and try and if you fall just forgive yourself and get up and try again! Have a blessed day!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Your profile is closed so I can't see your stats OP, but if that is you in your profile pic, you are nowhere near the recommended weight for phentermine at all, let alone a 37.5mg dose. A dose that high is meant to be for people with a BMI in the 35-40+ range.

As the above posters said, it may help you lose weight, but it doesn't help keep it off. As a person who has been on the same dose of phentermine as you, I can say with a certainty it doesn't help that part. If you truly believe you need it, then ask for the minimum dose, not the highest (more doesn't mean better!), and learn the skills you need whilst you're on it to keep your weight off.

If used correctly, mfp as a tool can help you lose the weight you need without the use of diet pills. If you're nauseous taking it, and don't want to eat at all, there's going to be some longer term effects on your body that certainly aren't going to be good for you.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    been taking it off and on since 2010 when i was over 300lbs.. now im 180lbs and still take it. only half. I had to stop for like two years as it was causing me heart problems. but im back on that crack.. wish there was something that worked as well without the health issues
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    been taking it off and on since 2010 when i was over 300lbs.. now im 180lbs and still take it. only half. I had to stop for like two years as it was causing me heart problems. but im back on that crack.. wish there was something that worked as well without the health issues
    Didn't you say you lost your weight just "clean" eating in previous threads?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I took it back when it was part of the Fen/Phen combo a lot of doctors were prescribing. It gave me headaches, but that was my only big side effect. It felt like a miracle, I'd eat like 1 shrimp at dinner and feel stuffed. Lost 15 pounds in a month and felt like I'd found my miracle weight loss solution. Then a co-worker, who was also on it, didn't refill her prescription on time and went a day without taking it... her hunger was so extreme, on the way into work she bought a package of English muffins, a brick of butter, and a jar of jelly... and scarfed it all down that morning. She told me it was like she couldn't control it. I immediately called my doctor and said I wanted off of the stuff. I'd much rather be patient and do it the right way now, rather than wanting a quick fix that doesn't last.
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am honestly just using this as a temporary aid. I am not looking to use this long term. I got off track with my eating and exercise 2 months ago because of vacationing and such and I just needed that extra little boost and help to start over again. This is day#5 of being on it and it has helped with my energy in the mornings as well as curving my appetite. I actually have to force myself to eat which is never a the case. I also have lost a total of 7 pounds (most likely water weight) and I'm feeling great Thank you for your opinions and helpful facts as this does help me decide whether or not I want to continue :)