Protein counts confusion...

Options
Hi there!
So, here is where I am confused. This morning I ate a Light and Fit greek yogurt for breakfast. California roll and shrimp/cucumber roll for lunch, and baked chicken for dinner. My protein limit is set at 70 and I am over by 1. NO... I am NOT concerned that I am over by only one. My question is that is there really a weight loss issue with too much protein? I'm really never over that limit, but I was just curious.....

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're over your protein goal and still within your calories your fine. Many here actually look at their protein number as a minimum to reach rather than a limit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When using MFP numbers I consider protein numbers to be a minimum. They're usually on the ow side.

Too many calories cause weight gain - not protein.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is what I thought. Thanks for the feedback!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am currently doubling my calculated RDA of protein to spare as much lean body tissue as I lose weight since the studies I've seen concerning support it. It's the first thing I pay attention to when planning my daily food menu. Then calories, then fat, then carbs. Currently, that means 144 grams a day since I weigh almost 200 lbs at 5'7" and 43 years of age with a very sedentary lifestyle. :) (I do log...just not on MFP)

When people write about ingested protein ending up as "sugar" or "fat", they are talking about what happens to excess protein (that may be more than RDA, depending on individual needs) in the face of a huge calorie surplus - hundreds to thousands of calories more than you needed for the day, depending on the individual.

No, those are not the exact figures so never quote me. They are generalities to make the point: The calories from eating even twice over ones RDA (which is low to begin with for women) of protein is not going to end up being stored ultimately as adipose (fat) unless you are consuming an overall surplus in calories so large that it allows them to end up being shuttled down that metabolic pathway.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    wow, 70 is a super low protein goal (unless you weigh 70-90 lbs??) - definitely nothing wrong with going over that as long as you are within your calories for the day - you may want to look at adjusting your macros so you can get more protein in!
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wow, 70 is a super low protein goal (unless you weigh 70-90 lbs??) - definitely nothing wrong with going over that as long as you are within your calories for the day - you may want to look at adjusting your macros so you can get more protein in!
    Thanks. I thought so too! (And I am certainly NOT 90 lbs!). However, I was wrong. It is set to 80, but seems to have changed since yesterday? So strange! Still trying to figure this all out once and for all!

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Consider your protein goal a minimum, not a maximum. And in general allow yourself some leeway on carbs/fat also. Perhaps +/- 10 grams for fat and +/- 25 grams for carbs. That is, if you really want to closely track carbs and fat.

IN general, make sure you're eating enough protein, and not cutting your fat too low. Other than that, aim for your calorie goal (+/- 75 calories can be a stress buster) and adjust your food portions if you find that your meals are not sustaining you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    bandbmc wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought so too! (And I am certainly NOT 90 lbs!). However, I was wrong. It is set to 80, but seems to have changed since yesterday? So strange! Still trying to figure this all out once and for all!

Well, it will go up as you add exercise and get calories from that, but it shouldn't go down unless you adjust your weight down or manually change your macros.

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings