Olive oil screws up my calorie data. Is it fair?

Options
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Newbie in calorie counting as well. All is good except one thing. MyFitnessPal counts the olive oil intake without taking in account that it's not 'bad fat' per se. Yeah, I get it that's 'a bit' healthier than other oils/butter but that makes the numbers change dramatically.
I'm Greek, and so 90% of Greek food is olive oil based, we put it in everything, loads of it, in fact we even have a meal category called "ladera" (which means roughly, "oiled"). Imagine my surprise when just 3 tablespoons of olive oil end up to be 358 cal. Even a light Greek salad has at least 6 tbsp in it.
I'm also breastfeeding my baby so I have to have a set goal of at least 1800 calories daily to have a healthy milk production but breastfeeding on it's own burns 500 calories. So, I'm pretty careful with my numbers and that's why I get puzzled with it. It's not as if I can eliminate oil or skip it altogether and be slightly hungry; I'm not supposed to be hungry or else that can potentially lead to problems.
Also, do you guys calculate naps and sleep? I know that you constantly burn some calories but since I'm suppose to count every spoonful of olive oil oh you bet I'll count every nap, breath and arm twitch I can!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is any of that oil left in the empty bowl?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to use so much oil, but if you do and are counting calories, yeah, I'd definitely count it!
  • MrsTomato
    MrsTomato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I never said I don't count olive oil calories so I don't see how I'm "cheating" myself, I just figured I should count siesta naps as well. I didn't know that the sleep is already counted but that's fine cause I haven't changed the data on that.

Also, I thought I was clear but I'll explain myself; I cook for my family and me, so there has to be some oil to have the cooking going, of course I have changed the amount of oil I cook but there is still enough oil that you would consider excessive, yet I can't eliminate it completely.
    My plan is to loose half a kilo per week, that's the healthy amount I can for my situation (postpartum, breastfeeding etc). I don't want 'fast diets' if that's what you guys are thinking.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Hey logging everything is a challenge at the start. Nobody knew it all to begin.
    Kudos for the lifestyle change.
    Try olive oil spray in the pan instead of a pour of oil. It works as well.
    Also on salads I love Greek salads try feta crumbled instead of cubes same amount goes further and for the dressing up the herbs and lemon juice and half the oil .
    Hummus is amazing with veggies like pepper strips instead of pita.
    Basically smart swaps plus saving room for the most delicious things in moderation
  • MrsTomato
    Options
    Correct. It's the amount I use to make the salad. But I don't eat the whole salad myself, nor I soak bread in it. For me it's not the oil, I never had weight problems before. My problem is sugar (I had gestational diabetes in both pregnancies in fact, and family history) and nowadays I can't even leave the house as often as I used to. I normally walk absolutely everywhere and I guess all these years that alone helped so I didn't have weight issues.
  • MrsTomato
    Options
    It's probably a half rant, half "do I need to extract calories because it's 'good fat' or is such a high calorie number normal for a diet"?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    MrsTomato wrote: »
    It's probably a half rant, half "do I need to extract calories because it's 'good fat' or is such a high calorie number normal for a diet"?

No, you don't want to take away any calories in your food log based on their source. You'll end up under counting your calorie intake. The number of calories you need to lose weight is based on a few factors. I kind of think you're already using MFP to track, so I'd recommend logging everything you eat and giving it a few weeks to see if you're losing the way it says you should. If so you're good. If not, you know you're eating more or less than your plan says.

I hope that's at least somewhat helpful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Calories are calories are calories. Sugar calories, fat calories, protein calories. Oil in particular has a LOT of calories. They all count. You have the power to choose what stays and what goes.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a low carb diet? That may be a good fit for you. If you cut back on carbs, you will have more calories to spend on oils, plus it's a diet which is good for blood glucose. I'm diabetic and while I don't eat a low carb diet, I do have to keep a careful eye on my carbs. I don't know anything about low carb diets and breastfeeding, but you could ask your doctor if there are any drawbacks.

If you want to eat many of your calories as olive oil, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you are under your calorie goal and getting enough of different nutrients.