Starbucks

Options
2»

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It'll blow your mind how easy it is to make a great chai tea latte at home with lower calories, better flavor, and higher quality ingredients.

Most Starbucks drinks aren't far removed from the stuff that squirts out of the machine at the gas station. Nothing wrong with liking it, but it's lousy for you and you can do better making it yourself. You can even make a big, airtight container of it for your fridge and have it a few days in a row. Think if the time you'll save not waiting in line.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    My pre-work out - Venti cold brew black, 4 scoops of Amino Energy (mocha latte flavor), a couple tablespoons of Walden Farms Mocha coffee flavoring. It's not overly sweet and give me a nice jump in the morning without all the cream and sugar, etc. I think there's 10 or 20 calories in a venti cold brew? maybe 25 but not more than that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly care for Starbucks coffee (I do enjoy an occasional cold brew, black), but why it is bad for you?

For that matter, why is some coffee from a gas station or rest stop machine bad for you?
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Grande cold brew with coconut milk, a shot of caramel and a shot of mocha, Tastes just like a Samoa girl scout cookie and around 80 calories :D
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't particularly care for Starbucks coffee (I do enjoy an occasional cold brew, black), but why it is bad for you?

For that matter, why is some coffee from a gas station or rest stop machine bad for you?

Because of the scary chemicals, Lemurcat12. Gosh! Can you pronounce all of the things in a terrifying gas station "cappuccino"??? No one can! Everything in gas stations is just 100% garbage for the human body, of course. It is known.

/sarcasm, obviously.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I always get flavored Starbucks lattes with 1/2 syrup - I love the seasonal lattes through Winter and Fall, but they're way too sweet for me.

The iced coffees or cold brews are tasty and I can add in my own half and half and vanilla powder or cinnamon. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll add in a Splenda.

I treat the occasional tall latte as a "snack" and order it with whole milk, for around 190 cal.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Iced green tea unsweetened light ice, all day.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A venti cold brew with coconut milk and a Splenda rings in at something like 50 calories and is TASTY
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I always get flavored Starbucks lattes with 1/2 syrup - I love the seasonal lattes through Winter and Fall, but they're way too sweet for me.

The iced coffees or cold brews are tasty and I can add in my own half and half and vanilla powder or cinnamon. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll add in a Splenda.

I treat the occasional tall latte as a "snack" and order it with whole milk, for around 190 cal.

The salted caramel mocha is my favorite fall drink. Getting it with fat free milk and half the syrup makes it way easier to work into my day every now and then.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew (tall), 100 cals.
    Download the app and search "light" or "iced." Easiest way to see all the lower calorie options.
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tall blonde roast + 2 tbsp half and half + 1 packet stevia
    Iced Grande Cafe Latte (I get nonfat; most can do with their standard 2%, or substitute whole milk)
    Grande Iced Coffee + 2 tbsp half and half +1 packet stevia

I'll regularly get an unsweetened iced tea (Green/Black/Passion/White tea all good!). Sometimes I'll ask for "no extra water" for a stronger flavor.

On occasion as a treat, I'll get a tall Iced Toasted Coconut Nitro Cold Brew :)
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think you should get it exactly the way you like it and fit in into your calories for the day.

• cheechie0709
    cheechie0709 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm also addicted to Starbucks but I am not a coffee drinker either. Starbucks has been my savior actually because I treat it as my dessert or treat during the day. My favorites are:

Iced Green Tea Latte with Coconut Milk, unsweetened. Tall and grande are under 200 calories.
    Pink Drink or Ombre Pink Drink, both tall and grande under 200 calories.
    If you want a real dessert, go with a small Green Tea Frappucino at about 230 calories or something.

Hope this helps! Also, if you go by the calories on the app, it doesn't actually adjust it correctly when you customize it. So you have to customize it on their website to see the difference in calories.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »

The salted caramel mocha is my favorite fall drink. Getting it with fat free milk and half the syrup makes it way easier to work into my day every now and then.

I get so excited about a half syrup Gingerbread Latte that it's just embarrassing, lol. Embarrassing, but delicious ;)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It'll blow your mind how easy it is to make a great chai tea latte at home with lower calories, better flavor, and higher quality ingredients.

Most Starbucks drinks aren't far removed from the stuff that squirts out of the machine at the gas station. Nothing wrong with liking it, but it's lousy for you and you can do better making it yourself. You can even make a big, airtight container of it for your fridge and have it a few days in a row. Think if the time you'll save not waiting in line.

I tried making my own chai tea many years ago. Several different recipes I found around the WWW. With Tazo quality tea, even, back before Starbucks bought them out and they were a small batch specialty tea company. The chai teas made were universally gross to my palate. I very much prefer Starbucks concentrate. Whatever ingredient ratios they accomplished in their formula, I cannot even remotely manage to recreate/clone at home.

I drink "gas station coffee" - well truck stop, actually - most of the time when I drink coffee on the road. Namely because I know it has a higher turn over rate than gas station coffee as truckers fill up their 48+ oz guzzlers with the stuff so keep the staff brewing pretty heavily. Especially in the a.m. Plus I cannot justify spending more than $2 for a 20+ oz coffee with all the free half and half I could ever want. It accomplishes the purpose purchased for with no adverse physical effects beyond any caffeinated drink.