Aerial yoga calories

Options
Hey y'all! How would this Texas girl count the calories for anti gravity or aerial yoga? It is a great strength for the core bit also some cardio, lifting yourself upside down and hanging from one leg, flipping upside down and whatnot. Any ideas?

Replies

• sdhaysrx
    sdhaysrx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I googled it and it's supposed to be approx 350 cals for a 50 minute class.
    I'm loving aerial yoga! Just started two weeks ago.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just like some cardio machines, proponents of an exercise type tend to exaggerate the calorie burn of the exercise or class in order to promote it. From the videos I watched, an aerial yoga class would like burn around 150-200 net calories in an hour (i.e. In addition to what you would have burned anyhow just sitting in a chair).
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just finished a class and was barely sweating. There is no way it would be in the high 300's. I would rate it the same intensity as a pilates class so around the region of 160 calorie burn is more realistic. It is great for balance and flexibility which is just as important as calorie burn.
  • JenniferSavageHurley
    Options
    I almost see it more like strength training with resistance being your own body. Yoga and gymnastics, I guess.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend what you do in your aerial class and how much you currently weigh. I do quite a few different types of aerial classes and the yoga one is the lower end of the scale re intensity and energy usage, even with flips and suspended planks.

If you are working out the calorie burn for the purpose of eating back calories, i always prefer to underestimate calorie burn just to be on the safe side so I don't accidentally eat more than I should while basking in the warm zen glow of a class completed.
  • JenniferSavageHurley
    Options
    I turned off that feature and am keeping to a 1400-1600 calorie intake. I am also swimming at least 1-2 times a week with nightly aerial yoga 3 times a week, using lots of suspended handstands. I kept additional fabric hanging from each side of my swings, allowing for wrist wrapping, facilitating a few more tricks.

For my birthday a few weeks ago, my hubby bought me a spinning set that can hang in the trees. It will have enough fabric to continue wrist wrapping, but look really cool while spinning...lol. I have determined aerial yoga is a is a good core workout. Upside down sit ups are more intense for sure.

Swimming is relatively new. I used to do a lot of taekwondo, 4 years in fact, but I burned out and needed something else to motivate me. I at my peak in taekwondo, which was 4 classes a day, 2-4 hours a day I weighed 205. I put on 45 after I left and it took a year and a half to start thinking about my health again.

I became the Arlington Foodies lady and decided I better do something lol. So I currently stand at 230 and am working my way down to where I feel comfortable and healthy, and can maneauver the swings easily. I know when I add spinning, there will be force and I don't want to hurt myself.

I started doing Aerial Yoga as a hobby 2 years ago, no real routine yet. I am now working a timed routine to see if that with the swimming will help me.lose. I see few overweight women doing aerial yoga so I figured women who do aerial yoga regularly get skinny fast lol.

I have been off and on with calorie counting, but hopped back on the wheel about a month ago. My whole family is counting now. We counted our whole vacation, only 1 cheat day lol.