My son has a google voice activated thing on his desk. Could I say "ok google add 5 oz avocado to?

Options
Could these voice devices be tied to MFP? It would be so easy to say:
Ok google, 4 oz of orange juice breakfast. I think Alexa and siri are others similar.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Try it! I don't see it working all that well with MFP, when there are ninetyseveneleven entries for OJ.

I love Siri, though. She's awesome. Windows has Contana.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I am a big huge fan of ok google and it's 1000% better than Siri, but no, I haven't had any luck getting it to add to my MFP diary.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OP you should suggest that to MFP developers. It would be great to be able to voice-add food to diary. (and I don't even own one of these assistant things)
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you want voice activated fitness tracking, they're coming out with a new health/fitness app called Evolve that lets you do that. It's in the beta stages for iPhone right now I think, but if you download it and then sign up for the wait list, they'll email you a code within a week or so. I know, I know, its not MFP... but it's an option if you really want that. I downloaded it and played around with it for a day or so, but... well, I'm here. Haha. I'm a creature of habit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Well you could voice search the USDA database and put the appropriate entry into MFP. There are just WAY too many user-created entries in the MFP database to make searching that directly a viable option.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Could these voice devices be tied to MFP? It would be so easy to say:
    Ok google, 4 oz of orange juice breakfast. I think Alexa and siri are others similar.

Developers are adding "skills" (i.e. automated tasks) to voice commands for the Amazon and Google devices all the time. MFP's developers might be looking at it already, but they have to weigh the cost of development and support against the number of people who might use these devices now.

The challenge would be how to select an accurate item in the database from a voice search. Just doing a text search on "Avocado" yields tons of garbage entries, doing it by voice without a screen to verify would probably get an inaccurate entry.

Simple commands like "repeat my lunch from last tuesday" would probably be pretty easy to do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you could tie it to your saved foods, that would be cool.

(I have yet to use any voice commands and don't want to, but I still see the value in that.)