The Poop Question for Runners

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
There I said it; poop, now that I got the giggles out of the way, it's time for my question. I'm an early morning jogger, before work, and I'm now going for longer runs now. About halfway into it my body has decided that it's woken up to and it's time to "flush" the system. Do any other runners have problem with a bowel movement showing up in the middle of a run? I even try to go before the jog but nothing happens. Do any other runners have ways to put the "BM" on hold while running?

Replies

• Natalie7227
    Options
    Actually I have read in the Body for Life Book that you are supposed to drink a glass or two of water right when you wake up and it helps the lazy bowels move. This actually does work if you are pretty regular.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hahaha :laugh: you said poop. :smile:

Okay...now that thats out of my system. Yes, I have had this problem before. It happens mostly with long distance runners. If I'm running in the morning I stay away from fiber the night before. But if I feel like it might happen I jog a 1/4 mile first right next to my house just in case.

I know someone who swears that a hard boiled egg an hour before a run solves this problem. I've never tried it but who knows....
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon right now. I have been running since February and I know exactly what you are talking about! I have heard that making sure you are properly hydrated is supposed to help. I am terrible about drinking my water so I am not sure if that is the solution. I do find some days I have an "urgent" inspiration to run faster! LOL

So try drinking lots of water! Good luck and happy running!
  • richiewoowoo
    Options
    I have heard that just eating a few bites of food when you get up will stimulate your bowels!! That cannot be a very comforting thought when you are running...best of luck!!:happy:
  • Loisandrev
    Options
    This happens to me pretty regular- I start walking or exercising and have to poop. It happens almost every time. It's horrible when your away from home. I still have not heard a solution. Sometimes I go several times a day so the fact that I have already gone once is not comfort to me. Afraid of having an accident and even more affraid of this discouraging me from exercising. Any suggestions????
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You are experiencing what is referred to as "runner's trots" it is very common and the cause is the lack of blood that gets to the bowels during vigorous running and even walking. Runners world just did a big article on it in the September issue and they have given many suggestions on how to avoid it. You can just visit runnersworld.com and search runners trots and it will most likely come up. It was a good article and makes you think about how you are fueling your body in the hours prior to a run.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hehehe...I love when topics like this come up. :laugh:

This used to be a problem for me but now it's not. I don't really know why, so I have no advice for you. Maybe just stick with it and always try to go before you go? Perhaps in time your body will learn to go before your run instead of during.

In the meantime, stay close to home or run a route that offers a place to take a potty break.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    For me, it was clearly nerves... But then I learned that if I woke up a little earlier, have a breakfast (which you should do for long runs) and have a cup of coffee - I could let 'er rip before the run... Sometimes just thinking about the run would get my nerves going and it would be enough to go to the bathroom... Just some tips!

Another thing I did to 'ease' my mind was locate the bathroom stops on my runs so I knew that I wouldn't have to 'run faster' to get to a bathroom.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry but I couldn't find the actual article but I did find this but when it comes down to it you have to experiment with what works for you. I know that I love my coffee before my runs and coffee is proven to help get more out of your workout but I also know that coffee is a natural laxative so I personally try to time mine just right so I don't end up in some bushes on the side of the road :laugh: I have my coffee about 1 hour prior. I feel like I'm giving all kinds of TMI right now :blushing:

A sudden midrun need to hit a bathroom
    CULPRIT The gut receives less blood midrun, causing poor GI function—earning this malady its nickname, the "runner's trots." The longer your run, the more likely you'll experience it.
    FOOD FIX Avoid high-fiber foods 24 hours before running. Pass on coffee (it stimulates intestinal motion). Dehydration and too many midrun carbs worsen the problem; don't exceed 30 to 60 grams of carbs per hour.
  • Loisandrev
    Options
    You know thats hard because I am trying to diet and high fiber is good for dieting. I drink 1 cup of coffee in am. I walk almost daily so in order to cut out fiber for 24 hrs would be impossible. I am going to stay close to home for now and see if it does not improve. I have only been dieting and exercising for about a month, It may just be changing my diet and exercise has my system going through a change. I even have to stop exercise videos to go to the bathroom. I am going to keep searching for help.I might go buy sept issue of runners world.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    Options
    I suffer from this as well. I have tried many things but nothing seems to work. I drink tons of water...at least 10 per day, so I am well hydrated. I run first thing in the morning but don't have time to wait an hour so I usually plan my runs where there is easy access for a "break". It's also dark and just getting light out so that helps too! I will check out the article on Runners World too.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I only seem to have the problem when I run over 5 or 6 miles or when the really is really hot so it must at least be partially related to hydration. I have taken to eating a couple hours before I run which means I have to get up earlier, and drinking some water. This seems to help for during the run, but I find I am still having trouble right after. I got a water bottle to wear on my fuel belt for my 10 miler tomorrow. I think I will put G2 in it. We'll see if that helps at all. Seems like i have also read that when your body gets used to working a little harder that the condition might improve. I don't know.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - early runner (I get up at 4am if I have to work, 5 am on Sundays). I haven't found a way around it. I usually have some sort of caffeine before I head out. I have a 7.5 mile route on the schedule for tomorrow and I going to try avoiding it and see what happens.

Thanks for posting the topic!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me every run! lol, I thought it was just me.

Eventually, it went away, but while it was happening, I just planned my runs around a place with a restroom.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee in the morning before my run usually gets "the machine" working so I use the bathroom before my run. However...I have found myself having to "visit the trees" a few times. Most inconvenient and embarrassing! On race days, I have not run into the problem. Too focused and excited about the race? Dunno...but I have always checked out the placement of the port-a-potties pre-race! If anyone has a solution, short of Immodium, I'm all ears!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There's a permanently parked porta potty next to the university's track oval a couple of miles from my home. I usually head out in that general direction, just in case.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Coffee! One or two cups right when I get up and 15 or 20 minutes later, nature is calling me. Then I go out for my run and I'm awake, hydrated, and "relieved".
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    im wondering what you do with the boiled egg to make it help...
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run fasted. Ran 9 miles (for the first time) last Sunday, and neither number ones nor number twos caused a problem :happy:
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    1 km into my run and well its time lol
    I run in the country so its into the bushes with my pocket full of potty paper :)