Advice for weight maintenance

Options
Hello! I'm currently eating in a calorie deficit range to lose weight. I'm 21 and I weight 172 pounds as of now, but have lost 10 pounds so far, and plan to lose as much as possible for the next 4-5 weeks. After those few weeks are up, I have to have my wedding dress altered, and therefore will be unable to do anything but maintain my weight as best as I can until September 16th. If I lose about 10 more pounds, how many calories should I be eating? I would weigh 161-ish and I'm 5'3. Has anyone else done this before? What's your best advice to stay the same, not continue to lose or gain it all back? I'm worried that I'll fall back into old habits or get discouraged and not continue to lose weight after the wedding.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. <3

Replies

• giburns5388
    giburns5388 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You have to track the calories you eat while you are losing. Then up them when you want to start maintaing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Put your goal to "maintain" and the calculator will calculate an estimated maintenance level of calories...

The difference between maintenance and losing weight is a handful of calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I suggest you talk with you fiancee about how to establish and maintain a healthy lifestyle together. That will make it much easier to successfully maintain on an ongoing basis. Talk with him about the things you've already changed and what you can do together to encourage both of you to be healthy, whatever that means to you guys. I cannot over emphasize the importance of establishing a good foundation now, to save yourself many troubles that some of us have had to overcome as we grow "older". That's the most important wedding gift you both can give.

I just celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary and tried on my dress for the first time since my wedding day. It fit me perfectly (after losing 150 lbs the last 3 years) but there have been very few times in the last 40 years it "would have fit."
  • pkdragok
    pkdragok Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is so much more difficult then losing or atleast for me.. this might help you it's the official NHS Bmi scale it will tell you all the info you need carb wise to maintain gain or lose

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
  • pkdragok
    pkdragok Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    To add to that we are similar height and weight... I am eating 1500 calories a day and walking 2 miles a day 1500 - 264 and losing a steady 2lbs a week.. i dont deny myself anything and it works for me.

So

4mph (average walk) 2 miles = 264 calories takes around 30 mins
  • andreajean2014
    andreajean2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice <3
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Based on what you gave, about 2200cal - 2754 cal would be your maintenance.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    pkdragok wrote: »
    To add to that we are similar height and weight... I am eating 1500 calories a day and walking 2 miles a day 1500 - 264 and losing a steady 2lbs a week.. i dont deny myself anything and it works for me.

So

4mph (average walk) 2 miles = 264 calories takes around 30 mins

So you are getting about 1236? As a man? Are you obese? Because if not, the nutritional minimum for a man to maintain health is 1500 net per day. Less than that for prolonged periods can result in things like energy loss, hair loss, stressed internal organs, brittle nails, high cortisol levels.. well, you get the picture. Not a pretty prospect.
  • sudakbyk
    sudakbyk Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can change your eating style.It's the easiest thing to lose weight. Almost most people lose weight again because of diets and sports.What you need to do is eat slowly and chew well.Your brain will be believe thats way.And you shoul not take a low calorie this will lead to binge.''High protein low carb no fat" of course low bad carb and no additive and unhealthy fat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find two things important for maintenance. One is weighing myself every week so I know whether I am staying where I should be. The other is exercise. Because of the large number of calories I burn I often feel like I'm eating too much when I am still near my goal.