Are carbs bad for my diet?

Options
I've lowered my calories to about 1600 a day and trying to stay under 120 carbs because I'm working on defining my abs. Should I really be so worried about carbs (my fav foods are fruit and they are high in carbs) or am I good as long as I stay around my calorie goal to work towards that six pack?

Replies

• ewebbw
    ewebbw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm in good shape already! 5'5 and 125 pounds. I lift and have started doing more cardio but wanted to challenge myself to see if I could get more muscle definition in my abs and arms. Thanks everyone!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ewebbw wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in good shape already! 5'5 and 125 pounds. I lift and have started doing more cardio but wanted to challenge myself to see if I could get more muscle definition in my abs and arms. Thanks everyone!

So do you want to lose some fat?
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have been dieting for 3 years with not one result. I decided to give low carb a try and lost 15 lbs this month alone. I have tried to avoid going low carb for a very long time. I used to make fun of low carb people and now I am one of them. I have not seen a single result and I eat clean and work out a lot. Carbs literally were just not working for me.

you either have an un-diagnosed food allergy/medical condition, or you were not in a consistent calorie deficit...

more than likely you replaced calorie dense carbs with less calorie dense foods...

I'm not sure what it is. I researched every kind of eating and found this is working for me. Whatever the reason, going from not losing for years to now losing in a month is enough to tell me something is working the way I need it to!

• DharmainHeels
    Options
    I should also say I was tested for everything before trying this diet because I couldn't get answers on my weight gain or inability to lose based on what I was eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

are you following a structured lifting program?

you are also going to want to keep protein around .8 to 1 gram per pound of body weight to retain muscle and lose fat...

• ndj1979
    Options
    I should also say I was tested for everything before trying this diet because I couldn't get answers on my weight gain or inability to lose based on what I was eating.

were you previously using a food scale and tracking/logging all your food?
  • DharmainHeels
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

were you previously using a food scale and tracking/logging all your food?

Yup. I was obsessive. LOL.

• ewebbw
    ewebbw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to lower any body fat I can and I do have structure lifting program and do protein shakes every day and try to have protein as the largest part of my meals. I also do at least 15-20 minutes of cardio before every lift

• ndj1979
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to lower any body fat I can and I do have structure lifting program and do protein shakes every day and try to have protein as the largest part of my meals. I also do at least 15-20 minutes of cardio before every lift

what program are you following?