3 months of sticking to my diet... but the last couple of weeks I keep going over!

Options
I started logging about three months ago. I've tweaked my calories a few times as I was trying to find what worked for me and while I tried to decide if I want to try to loose weight or to do a re-comp. The last couple of weeks I seem to be hungry all the time and I'm going over my calorie limit nearly every day. It's so disheartening to constantly go over especially when I was feeling pretty comfortable other times.

My diary is open if anyone wants to see. I'm aiming for 1360 calories a day and I lift weights (I'm a newb so not too heavy) 2-3 times a week for about 20 minutes.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I started to type this response several time and I realize the problem is that I don't know what question you're asking. What would you like help/advice/opinions on?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love your name, LOL!

I went back a few weeks in your diet, and was thinking it looked really good, especially with your protein level, but then I realized that, while you are logging a small variety of fruits and veggies, you are probably not getting all the servings you need. You're not tracking fiber, and I don't know if there is a way to take a look at it, but you might want to take a look and see if you are getting 25+ grams a day.

At any rate, the recommendation now in the UK is to eat 800 g of veg and fruits a day--a few of us did this as a challenge a while back, and it was EXTREMELY eye-opening. Basically a serving is 85 g or 3 ounces (or one ounce for a dried fruit or veg). I was stuffed when I ate that much, and I still try to get in an obnoxious amount of veg, although many days I fall short.

So easy things you could do would be to double the amount of spinach you are eating on spinach days, or supplement it with some romaine so that you are getting 3 cups of greens instead of 1 cup. Also, grapes, while not bad, tend to be higher sugar, so is there a fruit that would better meet your goals for lower calories that you enjoy? the blueberries are great, but maybe try doubling the amount you are eating so you are getting a full serving. Obviously some days you are getting a lot, as when you do the brussels sprouts salad, and that zucchini bread is probably giving you a bit as well. You might also want to try including steamed broccoli, raw carrots or celery during your snacks, etc.

When I first started, I was on a 1200 base, and I rapidly learned that, if I wanted to eat the way that I wanted (restrained but not depriving myself) I would need to increase the CO side of my equation, so I now lift 3-4 days a week--two 30 min classes that are a bit lighter, and two heaving lifting days of around an hour. I also do cardio just about every day, whether it's biking, "running" on an Arc trainer or down a gravel road, or spending hours in the garden. Even walking for an hour or playing with your kids can give you an extra buffer. My TDEE now is between 2000 and 2500 calories a day, and I am much happier being able to fit in the occasional burger, while reaping the benefits of lifting and being active.

How "metabolic" are your workouts--for example, are you throwing in plyometrics or pushups etc. along with intensive reps or are you just doing slower, lower rep lifts, planks, crunches, etc? If your workout is more along the lines of the former, you body may be hinting that you are not fueling it correctly, as a more intensive workout will need to be fueled. I do see that you are eating at least a portion of your calories back.

Finally, I can't see where you are restraining all day, and then just going crazy and eating crap, which is something I have to be careful up--I try to have a piece of fruit or veg before I go home and eat multiple servings of club crackers. But still, you might want to see if there is something that is triggering not-the-best eating, and see if you can head it off at the pass.

I know it is hard. Hopefully these musings give you something to consider that might work for you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I find I am the same way at times trying to decide if I need to cut more or recomp. And as a result I become wishy-washy with my intake and then I get frustrated. I think having a clear goal of what you want to do can help.
    What are your stats?
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started to type this response several time and I realize the problem is that I don't know what question you're asking. What would you like help/advice/opinions on?

Just some random support or observations. Is it common for things to feel easy for a few months then impossible? I figured it would be the other way around. What do others do when they're in the same situation? Should I switch to maintenance as a break from my deficit? I'm just frustrated since I felt like I was doing so well and now I'm really struggling.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE? You are going over your MFP goal, but are you going over maintenance? If you aren't going over maintenance, then you are still in a (smaller) deficit. Maybe 1360 is too low for the long term.

Try the TDEE calculator at scoobysworkshop.com if you don't know what yours is.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I find I am the same way at times trying to decide if I need to cut more or recomp. And as a result I become wishy-washy with my intake and then I get frustrated. I think having a clear goal of what you want to do can help.
    What are your stats?

I'm 33 years old, 5' 6", around 124lbs and eating at 1340 calories. I have 2 kids so I try to be active on the weekends but I work a full time sit down desk job during the week and am happy if I get a walk around the parking lot a couple of times during the day. I have been following the 5x5 strong lifts program for about 8 weeks now and just did a substantial de-load because I was noticing some back/knee pain and my weight wasn't progressing.
  • quiksylver296
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You're 5'6, 124 lbs and you want to lose weight?

I would eat at maintenance and stick with Stronglifts and go for recomp, if I were you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your 5'6, 124 lbs and you want to lose weight?

I would eat at maintenance and stick with Stronglifts and go for recomp, if I were you.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you must be close to goal weight, but your cals are quite low.
    Here are a few options-
    Take a maintenance break for a couple of weeks.
    Adjust your weekly deficit so you are losing .5 lbs a week, or less.

Start eating back your exercise cals, it may only be 100 or so cals, but that may be all you need.

Switch to maintenance at your goal weight. A little early, but the weight will still drop- slowly.

If you are hungry, eat. It won't set you back much, just be sure to log as usual so you have that data if you need to reference it later.

Cheers, h.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ya well based on your stats you are at a pretty decent weight.. so lean getting leaner is HARD and will cause pretty much what you are experiencing.

Do you add exercise calories to that? I am an inch taller than you and that would be way too low for me so that could be why you are hungry and going way over especially since you are now lifting.

Unless you have significant muscle base with your stats, I would probably switch to recomp if I were you. You can lose more of course, but to be honest I don't know if you will get the results you desire unless you plan on running a bulk after.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options

Initially I wanted to lose because I'm trying to get rid of my mummy tummy. I figured 1340 calories a day would be okay since it's just around 200 calories under my maintenance.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Sounds like you must be close to goal weight, but your cals are quite low.
    Here are a few options-
    Take a maintenance break for a couple of weeks.
    Adjust your weekly deficit so you are losing .5 lbs a week, or less.

Start eating back your exercise cals, it may only be 100 or so cals, but that may be all you need.

Switch to maintenance at your goal weight. A little early, but the weight will still drop- slowly.

If you are hungry, eat. It won't set you back much, just be sure to log as usual so you have that data if you need to reference it later.

Cheers, h.

I have been eating back my exercise calories but lifting doesn't seem to burn much. I'm amazing when I see someone burn 600 calories with cardio. I never get anywhere close to that.
  • quiksylver296
    edited July 2017
    Options

Initially I wanted to lose because I'm trying to get rid of my mummy tummy. I figured 1340 calories a day would be okay since it's just around 200 calories under my maintenance.

My answer remains - You want to recomp. Especially if you cannot stick your caloric deficit and keep eating over it. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Take measurements before and every month or so. Stick to it for 6 months. I'm pretty sure you'll see the changes you are looking for.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    What's your TDEE? You are going over your MFP goal, but are you going over maintenance? If you aren't going over maintenance, then you are still in a (smaller) deficit. Maybe 1360 is too low for the long term.

Thanks for the info! My TDEE came up at 1880.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

So you could eat at 1630 for a .5 lb a week loss - which I still don't believe you need. But, whatever you decide, good luck!
  • abbynormalartist
    Options

So you could eat at 1630 for a .5 lb a week loss - which I still don't believe you need. But, whatever you decide, good luck!

Interesting! Wonder why MFP told me 1340 for .5lb a week loss with the same stats. Thank you!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am with @quicksylver0922.
    Now I have seen your stats a recomp is the way to go. Slow but effective.

What lifting programme are you using at the moment?

I don't get much for lifting, about 200 cals for an hour. When I first started lifting I followed the general advice on the board - one doesn't burn enough to make it worth eating them back.
    In the first 2 month I lost too much weight and became a couch potato. If your calories are relatively low every calorie you can add to support your life style is important.

Cheers, h.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Definitely cosign on the recomp. You're doing a great program and you want to preserve the muscle that you have. I have been recomping for a year, and unfortunately although I can now see the sides of my abs, I still have a 1-lb sliver of tenacious fat sitting over the middle of my belly likely along with some loose skin from kids, but the fat keeps it shapely; it is just genetic, but it is annoying and I keep plugging away at it, although I am 44 and don't know what the heck I would do with abs if I ever find them. Abs are a b*tch to reveal for women. I am 5' 6" and have 15 lbs on you, but I am loving my results from recomping for a year with heavy lifting. You have to fuel those lifts, however.

And I still recommend a crapload of veg, because it is delicious. But you can occasionally fit in the splurge on chips and Dos Equis too. ;)
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts! I'm increasing my veg and upping calories closer to maintenance for a better recomp. After just two days I'm feeling better and my lifts have a bit more energy. Even if it's all in my head, I'm happy. ;)
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts! I'm increasing my veg and upping calories closer to maintenance for a better recomp. After just two days I'm feeling better and my lifts have a bit more energy. Even if it's all in my head, I'm happy. ;)

I am enjoying a delicious 230 grams worth of overgrown cucumber from my daughters 4-H plot as I read this, and am no longer ravenously hungry. Either it is very filling or it just makes you hate life after a while. :D One down, eight more monsters to go...