Skinny School

Options

Replies

• kathynorton12758
    kathynorton12758 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's really helpful. I'm feeling a little light headed and weak - enough not to exercise, so I've got to make some adjustments. I've lost 3.8 lbs in 1 week, whether it's water or fat, it's too much and is affecting how I feel.
  • JullzGood
    JullzGood Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You may want to just look up IIFYM, it will save your life and not leave you so drained and deprived of macros
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    wolfe1234 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there's an online keto macro calculator, and maybe @nvmomketo knows where it is and can recommend it.

50g carbs per day is not a ketogenic diet.

I second that. It's 20g or less.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    wolfe1234 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there's an online keto macro calculator, and maybe @nvmomketo knows where it is and can recommend it.

50g carbs per day is not a ketogenic diet.

I second that. It's 20g or less.

There is a range that can be considered ketogenic; how low carbs need to be for someone to be in ketosis can vary somewhat based on individual factors. Under 20g is more strict/extreme (and virtually guarantees ketosis for most people) but under 50gm is not uncommon. (And of course, there's also a difference between a therapeutic ketogenic diet, e.g. for epilepsy, that needs to be more strict, and people who are simply aiming to be in ketosis to reap the benefits.)
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if a diet plan asks you to severely reduce carbs and fat but does not give you any idea on how to get proper nutrition and calories with it, it can't be good for you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    OP, you never said how tall you are or how much you weigh, but with only 12 pounds to lose you probably don't need to go on some fad VLCD diet. Plug your numbers into MFP with a goal to lose 0.5 pounds a week. Adjust your macros a bit if you'd like. Eat within your calorie goal.
  • kathynorton12758
    kathynorton12758 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    mitch16: I'm 5'5", 133.6 lbs. I've lost from 137 lbs. in a week. I've never had to watch my weight or what I ate, but with age... the pounds won't budge more than a pound or two then back up. I've always been in the low to mid 120 lbs., so to me, this weight is too much.
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    To answer your actual question 50g of carbs is about 200 calories so you'd divide 200 by your daily calorie goal to get your percentage of carbs. Then split the remaining calories how you want between fats and protein. For example I'm at 1210 calories a day so for me 50g carbs would be about 17% carbs, and with the remainder I'd do 36% protein which leaves 47% from fat.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please remember that the getting started and general help boards are designed to answer questions. Please keep discussions on these board relevant to the questions asked by the original poster of the thread. If a somewhat related topic comes up you are always welcome to start your own thread to continue the conversation. Please refrain from hijacking other users threads.

Thanks,
    4legs