How to track canned salmon

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
ignore this i just found worms in the can im never eating this again anyway...i ate half the can.....-.....- puke

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Yum, protein. B) Funny how one culture's delicacy is another's trash.

Fun fact: Canned salmon is more nutritious than fresh because of the bones (which get softened from the canning process). :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Worms?

I eat canned salmon all of the time and I've never seen this.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Does all canned salmon have those bones? I tried it once and wanted to like it but thought the bones were so gross. I really am not a picky eater either.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that it wasn't bones/cartilage (which are included in the canned salmon)? I found what looked like tiny white worms in fresh salmon once, and returned it to the store completely grossed out. Turns out that it's pretty common and either freezing or cooking the fish properly eliminates the issue. Empirically, I'm "ok, NBD". In reality, I only buy wild caught frozen salmon (or canned, for certain recipes).

From Seafood Health Facts.org:

All living organisms, including fish, can have parasites. Parasites are a natural occurrence, not contamination. They are as common in fish as insects are in fruits and vegetables. Parasites do not present a health concern in thoroughly cooked fish.
    - http://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood-safety/general-information-patients-and-consumers/seafood-safety-topics/parasites
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Does all canned salmon have those bones? I tried it once and wanted to like it but thought the bones were so gross. I really am not a picky eater either.

I get boneless and skinless. I don't love the bones either.. even though they are small that crunch just turns me off
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fish are only allowed to have 2 worms in each fillet. QC, you know.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Not all canned salmon has bones and skin...I don't get enough calcium in my diet so whenever I buy it I get it with the bones...and make sure to mash it up so that you can't tell there are bones in the final product. (90% of the time I'm making salmon cakes)
  • bbell1985
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I get boneless and skinless. I don't love the bones either.. even though they are small that crunch just turns me off

Makes me sick. I guess I have to read the can better. I just didn't realize my first time and I never tried again.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

Not all canned salmon has bones and skin...I don't get enough calcium in my diet so whenever I buy it I get it with the bones...and make sure to mash it up so that you can't tell there are bones in the final product. (90% of the time I'm making salmon cakes)

Whoaaa. That's a cool way to get your calcium though. Bones for bones.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    yeah no im 90% sure they were worms XD i eat salmon all the time never had an issue now im scared because canned fish is my main source of protein/only meat xD gross >.<

And yeah to those saying its cooked, I agree im not scared for my health just extremely grossed out (rightfully so id say) I know they were cooked but theres still worms in my food LOL
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    By all means if these arent worms in my salmon tell me what they are, My stomach is still turning >.<
    qbni17fzxzfk.jpg
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I have no clue but I'm eating dinner dude!!!Gah!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    I have no clue but I'm eating dinner dude!!!Gah!

yup i didnt notice till i had eaten my entire dinner -.- barf
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Gross!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You should email that pic to the company.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    You should email that pic to the company.

What good would that do :o ? aparently its semi common but these were huge >.> Wish they were tiny so i didnt notice and wanna die inside lol
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not anxious to have it now, but can we go back to the original question? I always clean out the bones & cartilage... is that altering the calorie count/gram weight?