Fitness Options

2»

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Or, if you want to walk outside, get a dog?
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    sheepingly wrote: »
    You can lose weight without exercise.

How about steps in your building? I live in a condo complex with 45 units. We have 8 stairwells with 23 steps in each stairwell. I have many times walked up and down all of them. I start at one end and work through all of them and then back to the beginning. Nothing like 400 steps and some walking in between to get the heart moving. Alternately, are there steps where you work, or in any building near your work? No reason you can't walk up and down them a bunch of times.

I live in a 200 unit complex with individual stairs (1 flight) for every 4 units. There is no "walk way" or "cat walk" for them though. Going up the stairs though because of the thin walls vibrates all 4 units and you hear everything even when one of your 3 neighbors open/closes their doors.

The one bright side about the complex is that the mailbox and big garbage bins are at least 200+ feet away including the carport. So I try to use that to get my steps in daily besides the walking around at work (that's usually around 5K steps).

Who cares if it vibrates the units? That's one of the things you deal with when living in communal housing. I also hear people on steps and opening and closing doors. That's no reason not to find ways to exercise. Find a way. Walk back and forth to the mailbox 20 times. Tomorrow do it 21.

Why can't you join a gym? Many cities have senior centers with cheap treadmills/elipticals/light weights in their centers. Anyone can join and you don't have to be old. Planet Fitness has extremely inexpensive memberships. You can't continue to poo poo every suggestion. If you have a car, park further away. If you take a bus, get off a couple stops early. Be creative. Every little bit helps.

I've explained that in previous posts:

People complain and cause drama in this complex.

I can't join a gym right now because of fixing financial situation. I can't add on anything at the moment (even little stuff) and I'm not poo pooing every suggestion.

And i'm doing those "little things" you point in your last statement but i was looking for more things becuase i feel like its not enough.
  • sheepingly
    AliceDark wrote: »
    So, here's an alternate idea: don't worry about exercising right now. You can lose weight purely through your caloric intake. I know you said in your post that you want to exercise, but it seems like that's not really the case, because you have a lot of reasons why nearly every suggestion won't work. While some are probably completely valid, I'm not sure there's absolutely no way you can walk for 15 minutes without it being a huge hassle.

If you take exercise off the table for yourself right now, how does that feel emotionally? Does it make you REALLY want to exercise, or does it seem like kind of a relief?

I want to exercise and like do things like go walking before work but i sweat easily (due to the weight) but add in cali weather i get to work after walking before work sweating and sure I have like wipes and deoderant etc. but i just feel gross anyway and i get paranoid because i'm new at work.

If traffic isnt too bad (it's an hour commute home) and not doing OT then i can do the walking when i get home cause if i get sweaty who cares i'm at home and can shower.

But i want to do more than just walk. I have this urge to expend energy but with my overweightness and my body used to not doing much for a period of time (severe couch potato) from January - June doesn't want to handle very much cause its not used to it and rather than quit becuase i'm cold turkeying it i'm trying to build up to it.
  • sheepingly
    I love doing Darebee.com workouts. Most are bodyweight only, and while some require jumping many do not. If you look at the individual workouts, you can filter for "Strength / Tone" and "no equipment", etc. Quite a few of the Strength / Toning Workouts should be ok without disturbing the neighbors.

Thanks! Never heard of it. I'll look for stuff that doesn't require like "jumping" due to noise complaints from neighbors. Body weight stuff should work.

Does stretching kind of activities burn calories?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I suggest you ask your employer to get you a standing desk. Using a standing desk to do office work burns 0.5<calories<1.0 per minute. This does add up in a day.

Look into doing isometric strength exercises. You can do quite a lot at your desk with no-one noticing.
  • sheepingly
    My PCP worked with me when I was in a similar spot. She explained the the sweat from going up and down stairs at work was A. not any more noticable than my weight, and B. something that would improve /reduce over time. When I explained that my knees hurt from walking/taking the stairs she told me to invest in four freezable gel packs and to ice my knees after exercise, that the damage I was doing to my knees was less than the damage to my heart. When I told her Yoga hurt, same thing, use ice packs afterwards, learn to tolerate the pain it will help you grow emotionally.

I'd start with the steps at work, walk down then back up two "extra" times a day for a week, then three extra then four... At your apt I'd do the same thing, walk the steps but here you can let yourself get a little more sweaty so do an extra flight each time. walk the halway or around your building. It stays light late now, so adding steps from the train or bus stop, or if you drive to work walking around your parking garage or lot three times before and after work...

YOU CAN DO THIS!

What I think I will do is:

- Walk before work (pending heat conditions)

- Move around more during work and at lunch time and also look into exercises can do while sitting at my desk

- Go walking after work + body weight stuff plus dumbell stuff (i have dumbells at home)

and when that gets alot easier and i can afford to -- start jogging after work + enroll in gym or things of that nature.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,222 Member
    Ultimately, you can't keep doing the same things you've been doing that got you where you are and expect a different outcome. You also can't out-exercise poor nutrition, though with proper nutrition, you can lose weight without exercise. It may not be easy, it will be a change, and it most certainly can be done. Fix your diet to get you moving in the right direction and then maybe you can add in a exercise/fitness component when it's more feasible or palatable for you. A number of other posters have made what seem like very reasonable suggestions, pick one... or several. If you really think you need a workout buddy, find one. Maybe someone else in your complex is facing the same dilemma about working out at home, maybe it's a coworker, maybe another one of your friends wants to get in shape too but hasn't outwardly expressed that desire because they think you're also not a "gym person". You could also try to find a gym and make a new friend who you know is a "gym person" since they're already there. Depending on where you work, talk to someone in HR, many companies are putting an emphasis on employee health for insurance reasons and may be amenable to subsidizing memberships to a nearby gym and/or allowing time during the day for fitness.

Think about the fitness community at large; there are a myriad of different opinions of what the best nutrition and fitness strategies are, the constant is that the people that find success make a commitment to do so. Part of that commitment also frequently involves identifying and removing obstacles, however difficult, drastic, or initially disruptive as that may be. That's going to look different to everyone, maybe it's finding a new job closer to home, or a new apartment closer to work or at least one that allows you to exercise at home, and/or bringing your friends along on your fitness journey or finding friends that will join and support you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    My PCP worked with me when I was in a similar spot. She explained the the sweat from going up and down stairs at work was A. not any more noticable than my weight, and B. something that would improve /reduce over time. When I explained that my knees hurt from walking/taking the stairs she told me to invest in four freezable gel packs and to ice my knees after exercise, that the damage I was doing to my knees was less than the damage to my heart. When I told her Yoga hurt, same thing, use ice packs afterwards, learn to tolerate the pain it will help you grow emotionally.

I'd start with the steps at work, walk down then back up two "extra" times a day for a week, then three extra then four... At your apt I'd do the same thing, walk the steps but here you can let yourself get a little more sweaty so do an extra flight each time. walk the halway or around your building. It stays light late now, so adding steps from the train or bus stop, or if you drive to work walking around your parking garage or lot three times before and after work...

YOU CAN DO THIS!

- Move around more during work and at lunch time and also look into exercises can do while sitting at my desk

- Go walking after work + body weight stuff plus dumbell stuff (i have dumbells at home)

and when that gets alot easier and i can afford to -- start jogging after work + enroll in gym or things of that nature.

That sounds like a great plan. Another idea you may not have thought of...every apartment complex I've ever seen has some kind of outdoor common areas that are usually relatively safe. Take your dumbbells outside with you and do your bodyweight/dumbbell workout there. (Maybe not at noon, but before/after work should be relatively cool unless you live in Death Valley.) Don't worry about what the neighbors think; you have just as much right to use the common areas as they do. Bring your phone or iPod or whatever you use to listen to music, and just do your thing.
  • sheepingly
    AliceDark wrote: »

YOU CAN DO THIS!

That sounds like a great plan. Another idea you may not have thought of...every apartment complex I've ever seen has some kind of outdoor common areas that are usually relatively safe. Take your dumbbells outside with you and do your bodyweight/dumbbell workout there. (Maybe not at noon, but before/after work should be relatively cool unless you live in Death Valley.) Don't worry about what the neighbors think; you have just as much right to use the common areas as they do. Bring your phone or iPod or whatever you use to listen to music, and just do your thing.

Thats a good idea. The carport is really wide and my spot is near the back of the carport area and the back as a big wide open space (kind of how like cul de sacs are). I think what i can do is buy a jump rope and do that too.

I also have a skateboard, I'm such a newbie and still trying to balance but the effort at trying to balance and ride it does expend energy I think?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    So I'm in a dilemma. I've gained 60-80lbs over the past few years by over eating and volume eating and I have a desk job, and then 2 hours commute total every day.

Anyway, I'd like to get back into working out but I have limited options right now in terms of fitness. I can't get a gym membership just yet and when i do I don't really have someone to go with (everyone i know is lazy or not the gym kind of people) so I'm not sure what I can do in terms of working out.

I can't do DVD's for home workouts because neighbors will complain about the noise.

I can go for a walk outside but i can only do that on weekends so what can i do to get my fitness on during the week. it would have to be something i can do on a week night before or after dinnertime.

Any ideas of what i can do until i can attend an actual gym?

Low impact workouts won't upset your neighbors.

Yoga - not a noisy endeavor at all, a yoga mat will help muffle any noise even more.

Strength training - start with bodyweight exercise. Push ups, planks, squats.....not noisy. Pilates is a form of resistance training....not noisy.

Walking DVDs / walking style videos are low impact. You aren't jumping up and down. If it's the TV that annoys your neighbors, these are cardio workouts with zero choreography. Because there is no choreography - I can mute the TV and use earbuds......I can play my favorite music.

Videos here:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia