Need help

I have been on MFP for a few months now, and just when I think that I have it figured out….. something happens. I eat about 1200 calories a day. I jog 3 x a week for 35 minutes giving me 2.6 miles. I also lift weights 2x a week. It just seems to take forever to lose any weight. I have been down to 185 previously, but then ate some sushi and gained 3 pounds! I am still trying to get back to 185 a week later :( Any thoughts?

TIA!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    wdedoelder wrote: »
    I have been on MFP for a few months now, and just when I think that I have it figured out….. something happens. I eat about 1200 calories a day. I jog 3 x a week for 35 minutes giving me 2.6 miles. I also lift weights 2x a week. It just seems to take forever to lose any weight. I have been down to 185 previously, but then ate some sushi and gained 3 pounds! I am still trying to get back to 185 a week later :( Any thoughts?

TIA!

Can you be more specific? What was your starting weight? How many months has it been? How are you measuring your portions?

Weight loss isn't linear, even if you do everything perfect some weeks you'll lose and some weeks you'll gain. Mostly due to water weight.
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Sorry. I have lost about 10 pounds which is why I thought that I had it figured out. I was not joking about the sushi. I love sushi, but there s a 3 pound difference from the morning before and the morning after and my diet was no different. Its very difficult for me to lose it.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Sorry. I have lost about 10 pounds which is why I thought that I had it figured out. I was not joking about the sushi. I love sushi, but there s a 3 pound difference from the morning before and the morning after and my diet was no different. Its very difficult for me to lose it.

How much soy sauce did you have with your sushi? A high sodium meal can definitely show a few pounds on the scale. Combine that with normal hormone fluctuations and it's no big deal. It will go back down in a few days.

You may be eating too little in general, as well, if you don't eat (at least a portion of) your excercise cals back.

ETA: Also, I don't know what type of sushi you ate, but it it's more rice (carbs) than you've been used to, that will also cause some water weight. Seriously, unless you had a 10k blowout, it just isn't possible to gain 3 pounds if fat, no matter what the scale says.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Did you eat 10,000 calories worth of sushi? If not then the sushi did not make you gain 3 lbs of fat.

Gaining and losing water weight is completely natural, it's going to happen regularly for the rest of your life. If you are eating your calorie goal and logging accurately and consistently, have patience through the ups and downs. If you feel the need to do something, focus on tightening up your logging if necessary. Use a food scale whenever possible, double check the database entries you are using are accurate, and be patient :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,582 Member
    I'll try again.

Are you weighing your food and logging everything?
  • wdedoelder
    Yes, I am weighing it and logging it all. Apologies.
  • wdedoelder
    It just seems like I am doing well, but then when I go out (even though I am eating less and healthier than I used to) it ruins it :( The last few months I have been able to lose about 2 pounds a month. It is still a loss, but I thought that it would be more given the exercise and healthier choices that I was making. I am only using the Sushi as an example. But literally 3 pounds and I am still trying to get rid of it a week later…lol. I drink only water and tea, no sugar.

Thank you again :)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    If you open your diary, people may be able to give you better advice. Best of luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If you'd be willing to open up your diary, people can probably pinpoint the issue fairly quickly. Otherwise, we're just kind of guessing. Here are some other questions to consider...

What does "about 1200" calories mean? What is your actual average? Do you have very high calorie days sometimes?
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    When you log foods, are you using the recipe builder? Do you ever use combination entries (like "1 scrambled egg" or "PB&J") instead of logging each component individually?
    Do you use generic entries?
    Do you use other people's homemade entries?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2017
    Log everything, everyday.
    Use food scale for solids. All of them. Even slices of bread, pieces of fruit, etc.
    Use cups/spoons only for liquids only.

Don't forget to account for cooking oils, beverage calories, condiments.

Other than the above, the best way to make sure you're accurate is to be in control of your food. Make/prepare your own as often as possible. Unfortunately eating food from restaurants or prepared by family/friends means you have to guess at the contents/portions. Nothing wrong with this, as long as its working for you. If you're not happy with your rate of loss and you weigh approximately 185 now, then you need to improve your logging accuracy.

Also, avoid using database entries for 'recipes' and instead enter your own recipes. You can't really know if my lasagna is made the same way as your lasagna or how it compares in serving size and calories.

Last, if you tend to take a bite of this, taste of that, finish a child's food, etc.: avoid this behavior.

OTher than that, try to understand the difference between a change on the scale and weight loss. Weight loss happens over time. The things you do today can alter your water weight, but you're not going to gain or lose 2-3 pounds in a day or so.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    It just seems like I am doing well, but then when I go out (even though I am eating less and healthier than I used to) it ruins it :( The last few months I have been able to lose about 2 pounds a month. It is still a loss, but I thought that it would be more given the exercise and healthier choices that I was making. I am only using the Sushi as an example. But literally 3 pounds and I am still trying to get rid of it a week later…lol. I drink only water and tea, no sugar.

Thank you again :)

You'll typically ingest way more sodium eating out vs. preparing your own food, which a big spike when you're body isn't adjusted to those levels can cause the aforementioned water retention. Another poster mentioned the carbs in sushi rice; similarly, if you're used to eating very low carb (say 20g/day or less) even a moderate amount may be problematic for the body to metabolize efficiently for some.

You also reference exercise, what are you doing and how often? Are you tracking and eating back all of those calories? if so, that could be part of your issue as estimated calorie burns, and fitbit-like activity trackers often skew high. You'll want to make sure you're getting enough fuel for your activities but exercise isn't a justification for eating more.

Also, depending on how much you have to lose 0.5lb/week is pretty solid progress. I know this might be considered blasphemy by some on here but, it doesn't always have to be about the number on the scale. Personally, I much prefer weekly weigh-ins (at most frequent) vs. daily due to the fluctuations that can occur due to a variety of variables. "Progress" might not always show on the scale or in the mirror; do you feel better, sleep better, have more energy, can you lift more weight, run faster/longer, do daily tasks easier? That sort of thing may not be what you're shooting for, but it's not nothing.
  • wdedoelder
    Thank you for the advice. I am jogging 3 times a week which ends up being about 2.6 miles each time (slowly building up), I also go to the gym twice a week and use the elliptical/bike/weights for a variety of times depending on availability usually totaling about 40 minutes. The sodium is possible, but would it take that long to lose it? We seem to have cut rice out of our menu and make Cauliflower rice. I usually do not eat a lot of soy sauce and I am not a fan of adding salt to my food.

The app suggests 1200 calories a day. I usually end up with 1100-1300 a day. On most days I do not eat my exercise calories back. I give myself a treat once a week that gives me extra calories (usually an ice cream). When putting in my calories, if it is a recipe that I have added via website, I follow the serving size. If it is something that my husband or I make, I add each individual item.

For history, I was at 236 (at 5'6") in Dec 2015. I began exercising more and managed to lose about 40 pounds with just that. I hit a plateau that lasted months. I was really ill last October and decided that it was time to give up soda's. I managed to gain 20 pounds back without changing my exercise or diet after that. I went to a nutritionist and learned a few things, but I still feel lost with all of it. After the nutritionist, I managed to get back down to where I am today at 187. But the last few weeks, I have been riding between 185 and 190. This is why I was hoping to understand what is going on. As for sleep, I do not get a lot of "good" sleep. My youngest was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago. Sleep is kind of hard to come by when you get up at least once (sometimes every hour) to check someones glucose. I just become frustrated when I feel like I am doing so well, and then the scale says differently. Thank you again! I hope that I have answered all questions asked :)