Cardio and Lifting

Options
So I've been working my tail off at the gym. Down 354 to 264 in 7 months. First three months solely cardio daily at 1hr. Month 4/5 until now...this. I'm doing about 45min cardio on Cybex (weight training setting-burns about 780 for me) daily AND 45-1hr of weight training (3 sets of 15 reps at weights where I start to feel fatigued at 11-15).

Weight gained has wayyyy slowed down. Guessing in gaining decent muscle.

What is the right amount of cardio and strength to lose? I'm loving the muscle but scale is slow. Calories 1800-2200 daily.

Help!

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    So I've been working my tail off at the gym. Down 354 to 264 in 7 months. First three months solely cardio daily at 1hr. Month 4/5 until now...this. I'm doing about 45min cardio on Cybex (weight training setting-burns about 780 for me) daily AND 45-1hr of weight training (3 sets of 15 reps at weights where I start to feel fatigued at 11-15).

Weight gained has wayyyy slowed down. Guessing in gaining decent muscle.

What is the right amount of cardio and strength to lose? I'm loving the muscle but scale is slow. Calories 1800-2200 daily.

Help!

How many days a week are you doing both of those?

You will not be gaining as much or anywhere close to the same amount of muscle as fat you're losing. If your weight loss is slowing, which can happen, especially after doing so much and eating a low calorie diet for 7 months, you might think about taking a 2 week break at maintenance and start again at the same calorie amount and you should see weight loss continue. Otherwise if you're interested in not stopping and continuing, then you're going to need to lower your calories.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    @RAD_Fitness 7 days a week. I've missed 6 days since January. Should I be doing cardio daily and lifting 3 days a week?

I really love the gym now. Couch potato to gym rat and still have 90lbs to go. I want to do it right. What's the correct amount?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts generally look like? What sorts of exercises are you doing?

Have you been feeling super tired recently and somewhat forcing yourself to workout? Are you accurately tracking your calories the same way you were when you were consistently losing? Have you had any days recently that you've not tracked and clearly gone way over calories?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    @RAD_Fitness
    I'm eating 80/20 clean. Tracking pretty good but I don't log anything extra other than what machine says. I don't generally feel tired from workouts...other than normal got my butt kicked for two hours. I sleep harder, take no blood pressure meds anymore...overall feels good.

Workouts usually 10-12 of a variety of weight machines at planet fitness. Recently added two exercises on smith machine. Try to work most muscle areas. For cardio, always Cybex machine (do you know it)...like elliptical stairs for 45 min.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As long as you are still dropping weight there is no problem. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't forget to update your mfp as you lose weight. As the weight goes down so does the amount of calories you can consume and continue to lose. Sucks I know but that's how it works
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you;ve lost a significant amount of weight, which means you need to readjust your calories, since your bmr will have dropped. Also , you should be losing about 1% of your bf a week, so when you were 354 it was safe to lose 3.6 lbs a week, but now that you are 264 you should be looking at 2.6 lbs a week at the most. I personally think 2200 calories is too much for weight loss at your weight, what does MPF say you should be eating? If i was at your weight, i'd probably drop to 1600 plus about 100 calories for every hour of cardio. I know that's aggressive, but that's what i'd do. Also, if you are eating back your calories, you may be overestimating your calorie burn on the cardio, are you wearing a fitbit or an hrm? the machines estimates are never near accurate, they are way off. And slow weight loss is still weight loss. You aren't going to continue to drop at the rate you were for the last 7 months. As you lose more weight it will continue to slow.