Adam Ruins Everything: Weight Loss

13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So disappointing. Shot down some myths by supporting other myths. Shot down low fat, superiority of specific diets, and the Biggest Loser.

But did so by pushing Big Sugar is diabolically making us fat. Genetics means many of us are destined to be fat. Closed with the idea that it's fine being overweight. Actually said weight is not directly related to health. <facepalm>

I honestly don't think I can watch this show anymore :cry:

It was same when John Oliver did his episode on sugar. Lots of the same rhetoric as this show and episode.

True, but I guess I see the shows differently. I know that John Oliver is taking a stance on what everyone is talking about and voicing his opinion, whereas I never saw ARE as an opinion show, which obviously I should have. I often disagree with what Oliver is saying and I'm fine with that. He did annoy me with the sugar is just like cocaine stuff, but I still laughed through the whole thing, especially "Cranberries taste like cherries that hate you" so I forgave him. :innocent: Plus the only conclusion he drew was to support the then suggested new FDA rule to call out "added sugar" on the label.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Every 20 years a macro is demonized... still waiting on the provocative, desperately needed Put Down the Fork era.

But then it's my responsibility, not the evil government in bed with BigSugar conspiring against me to steal my tax dollars for health (or rather sick) care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Is this the whole show? 24 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptuiUskToQ

• kshama2001
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So disappointing. Shot down some myths by supporting other myths. Shot down low fat, superiority of specific diets, and the Biggest Loser.

But did so by pushing Big Sugar is diabolically making us fat. Genetics means many of us are destined to be fat. Closed with the idea that it's fine being overweight. Actually said weight is not directly related to health. <facepalm>

I honestly don't think I can watch this show anymore :cry:

It was same when John Oliver did his episode on sugar. Lots of the same rhetoric as this show and episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepXBJjsNxs
  • kshama2001
    folgers86 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    ^^ It *could* be, if taken in the right light.

Big Sugar IS a thing, utilizing tactics similar to Big Tobacco for marketing, branding, and product composition

Anyway, main point is that we don't eat foods that are bad for us because of Big Sugar. Big Snack Food (sugary and not) saw an opportunity and seized it. Many humans will easily overeat in a situation where they are surrounded by foods they perceive as tasty and little or no cultural restrictions (eating times or cultural norms) that prevent it.

There once was a heated argument between Fat vs. Sugar in the diet and which was more detrimental. Fat lost and Sugar won (mostly by appealing to consumers) - manufacturers had to add sugar to help make up for he lack of flavor due to low fat. We now know that certain fats, like saturated fats, aren't particularly good for you but there are healthy fats as well. We also know that a diet high in sugar is strongly linked to insulin resistance and type II diabetes. So at one point in time you probably could argue for the presence of Big Sugar, but whether it truly exists today...we probably won't find out for years to come.

Conspiracy theories aside I thought it was a pretty good episode. Unfortunately I think they oversimplified their explanations a bit which is leading to some debate. For instance, aeloine's point about obesity vs health and correlation and causation is absolutely correct. The writers could have explained that better. Obesity in and of itself is not the source of health problems. That's like saying the increase in murder rates during the summer drives the sale of ice cream higher in the summer. Lifestyle and diet cause both obesity and other health problems. You can lose fat by eating a bag of Twix every day, but you sure won't help reverse any insulin resistance by doing that.

Given that this show seems to be written to be accessible to below high school grade level, I thought they did a decent job explaining the sugar/fat conflict of the last few decades.

I've just finished the sugar section, so have no opinion on the overall message of the show.