Help with weight training

Options
Hey im lou, my weight loss journey so far as mainly been due to diet and cardio exercise, few sit ups and squats, but i want to start toning more and using weights but im a absolute beginner, how do i know what weights to start off with and how often do i train? Any advice would be helpful

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    achong0 wrote: »
    Hey,

A couple of things you can do.

If you want to bulk up (like a gym dude), you will need to do some weights at heavier weights with less repetitions, if you want to get leaner, you need to do more repetitions at a lighter weight.

Byyour post, you look like you want to get lean, you could try googling something called german volume training, which would help with your start, what I would do, is pick a starting weight, where if you do your first set, you would rate it at a bout a 4/5 out of 10 for each exercise.

You can then get on with the other 9 sets :).

Hope this helps.

That's exactly backwards.

If you want to get stronger, heavy weights/light reps. If you want to get bulky, you'll have to do more reps.

This is what someone who lifts heavy looks like
    Screen-Shot-2013-08-29-at-9.20.57-PM.png

http://powerlifting1.com/2013/08/day-4-report-junior-world-powerlifting-championships/
    Marte Elverum (NOR) was beyond impressive during the squat. She finished with 230kg/507lbs!

Interestingly, Marte Elverum (NOR) is very familiar to Texas; she spent an entire year of High School in Tyler, TX. I’m sure she considered today a successful homecoming. She totaled 515kg/1,135lbs for the gold medal.[/b]
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hey,

If you want to bulk up (like a gym dude), you will need to do some weights at heavier weights with less repetitions, if you want to get leaner, you need to do more repetitions at a lighter weight.

Byyour post, you look like you want to get lean, you could try googling something called german volume training, which would help with your start, what I would do, is pick a starting weight, where if you do your first set, you would rate it at a bout a 4/5 out of 10 for each exercise.

Hope this helps.

wow, what awful advice! first off, for a female, lifting heavy will not make you "bulk up." More repetitions at a lighter weight will also do nothing for making you leaner.

and then, you think she wants to get lean (which you previously said required light weight), but suggest german volume training?!?!?! probably not the best for someone brand new to weight lifting.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do an internet search for beginning weight lifting programs and try one you think you might like. If you do, stick with it, if you don't try another. I like and am using StrongLifts 5x5. There are several from which to choose.

Like the barker used to say: You pays your money and you makes you choices. Most, however, are free, or have a small charge.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

StealthHealth beat me to it ^!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Hope this helps.

So much no!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Hope this helps.

Do not listen to this user.

There is stronger, and there is weaker. "Lean" or "toned" is a combination of muscle building and lower body fat.

German Volume Training was designed for lifters using exogenous testosterone. Unless you're taking those, as a woman you won't "bulk up like a man".

Look at Starting Strength, Stronglift, or The New Rules of Lifting for Women. All three are solid beginner programs for weight lifting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Hope this helps.

What?

Don't answer that. It's pretty much all wrong.

BTW - German Volume Training (GVT) is specifically for bulking. And not appropriate for a beginner.