Trying lose a few pounds whilst trying to concieve. Please help

Options
Ok so I'm tcc but I'm wanting to lose a bit of my belly and get active. I'm 5'7 and at 10.4 stones (144 pounds). Yes I know I'm within my BMI but I'm at the upper half and I feel fat. I also feel unhealthy because the weight is at my midsection. I'm now eating 1300 -1400 calories and walking 10,000 steps daily along with some cardio (cycling) a few times a week and ab exercises. I was wondering is this safe when tcc and also am I able to do the ab exercises? Things like toe touches, crunches, side crunches, planks etc... and mountain climbers. Also jump roping
please help :)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Being at a healthy BMI ideally you want to be set to 0.5lb loss per week, no reason to be eating under your BMR (Amount needed to maintain your body in a resting state - which is around 1400 for your height/weight).

Given that is more your body composition than your weight that you are unhappy with, have you considered re-comping? This is where you'd eat at maintenance (for your stats at sedentary around 1750) but ensure you're getting adequate protein and follow a good progressive lifting program. More info here https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I think you are speaking about two different things here. What the poster said above about recomp is probably the way you want to go (well based off of your goals it sounds that way). You trying to conceive is a separate thing. Don't know your history but in general you should be fine however once you do actually conceive you will need to consult with your doctor about your regimen and when you you started it. He/she will guide you from there.

Good luck with both your goals!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    if you are doing all those ab exercises to lose weight around your midsection - that's not how it works. you need to lose fat overall and can't target where it comes off of.
  • betterme2k17
    betterme2k17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    if you are doing all those ab exercises to lose weight around your midsection - that's not how it works. you need to lose fat overall and can't target where it comes off of.
    Yes yes I'm aware, hence the cardio. The ab exercises are to build a hopefully stronger core/ab muscles

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Yes yes I'm aware, hence the cardio. The ab exercises are to build a hopefully stronger core/ab muscles

You won't be building any muscles when you're in a significant calorie deficit.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've been involved with a fertility clinic for the past 4 years and successfully conceived my first little guy naturally 2 years ago, trying to conceive my second now. In general, moderate daily exercise is recommended to improve fertility... what you are doing sounds moderate (intense is not recommended, no activity is not recommended). For a normal weight individual drastically cutting calories and weight loss can cause issues with ovulation, not in all cases but in some. When trying to conceive I cannot have any sort of deficit and also have to make sure to keep my fat levels up.
  • betterme2k17
    betterme2k17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I've been involved with a fertility clinic for the past 4 years and successfully conceived my first little guy naturally 2 years ago, trying to conceive my second now. In general, moderate daily exercise is recommended to improve fertility... what you are doing sounds moderate (intense is not recommended, no activity is not recommended). For a normal weight individual drastically cutting calories and weight loss can cause issues with ovulation, not in all cases but in some. When trying to conceive I cannot have any sort of deficit and also have to make sure to keep my fat levels up.

Thanks so much for this :)
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I went towards a calorie deficit that was too low, I got down to mid-BMI (apparently too low for my type of structure) and stopped ovulating or menstruating altogether. Why don't you increase your calories to have a smaller deficit and continue your work outs as they are? - (Not sure if you've conceived before and know you have no trouble conceiving)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Echoing recomp - that may make you happier.

As far as TTC, barring any other health issues, you should be fine. My OB did not recommend intense ab work after the first trimester. I did t25 through the first and half of the 2nd trimester with my youngest, and I'm over 30, and out weighed you by 50lbs. Towards the end I was just walking a few times a week and swimming on occasion. Just really listen to your body once you do conceive so you don't push too hard.

And "they" are doing research that is showing that it takes our bodies up to and sometimes over a year to really recover from pregnancy and childbirth, so give yourself grace!