Options
Protein bars, energy bars, etc.?
How are they?
Thanks

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes and they are good for the most part.
  • arcornell09
    arcornell09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat their soups for lunch and I think they're good
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi! Haven't done too much with that line though.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the protein bars. The low cal bread is as good as Sarah Lee and way cheaper. Light string cheese was a miss. It's definitely worth shopping there but there is some experimentation.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Love the multigrain flatbreads. The knockoff Fiber One lemon bars are pretty decent, too.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yo. I do a lot of my shopping at Aldi's. Right now their Elevation by Millville bars are my jam. I've been happy with a majority of the house brands.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Just read the labels. Some can be candy bars in disguise. I will not eat a bar that has more than 10 grams of sugar in it. You'd be surprised how sugar packed some bars are. They think people don't read labels.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like the cookie dough protein bars. The boxes say "compare to Balance Bar," and I do find that the bars live up to the claim. I personally like a full egg, yolk and everything, but I did like the liquid egg white substitute (the one in the yellow carton).
  • twinlyblessed10
    twinlyblessed10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!
  • twinlyblessed10
    twinlyblessed10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just read the labels. Some can be candy bars in disguise. I will not eat a bar that has more than 10 grams of sugar in it. You'd be surprised how sugar packed some bars are. They think people don't read labels.

Yes, this is what I'm worried about... The sugar. I was thinking of having a bar on between meals if I felt hungry.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Love the multigrain flatbreads. The knockoff Fiber One lemon bars are pretty decent, too.

Along with this-their Knock Your Sprouts off sprouted whole grains bread is freakin' amazing! It's right next to the flat breads. 1 slice is only 60 calories and has a nice little protein punch. I toast 2 slices every day for breakfast and then spread 1 triangle of the Aldi low calorie cheese spread (their version of Laughing Cow), or a bit of raw honey. Sooo good!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sugar is not evil, but some manufacturers are packing in way too much into these protein bars. The cookie dough one mentioned above is 17 grams of sugar. Simply not necessary. Walmart has Pure Protein which might not be as sweet and tasty, but have a lot less sugar. Reading labels is a great skill.
    For snacks I keep a jar of almonds on my countertop and eat 10 for a snack. Or I grab a baby bell cheese and 5 nice wheat crackers. Many good ideas out there.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Along with this-their Knock Your Sprouts off sprouted whole grains bread is freakin' amazing! It's right next to the flat breads. 1 slice is only 60 calories and has a nice little protein punch. I toast 2 slices every day for breakfast and then spread 1 triangle of the Aldi low calorie cheese spread (their version of Laughing Cow), or a bit of raw honey. Sooo good!

Oh! And the Aldi version of the Laughing Cow is 25 cals compared to the 35 for the "real deal". And this backyard beekeeper appreciates your use of raw honey. :p
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My sister has loads of Fit & Active stuff, always. Drink packets, breakfast sandwiches, 100 cal chocolate dipped pretzel packs, whole wheat tortillas. Probably lots of other stuff but that's all I can find without tearing up the freezer.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

The lemon fiber bars from Aldi are great. I tried the Great Value ones from Walmart. They tasted a bit soapy and smelled like vomit.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the protein bars. Strawberry is my favorite. Elevation can be a little bit of a ripoff but the Peppermint Wellness Bar is amazing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use the Fit and Active brand for some things. Their canned diced tomatoes are no salt added and their Greek yogurt is fat free and low in calories for the flavored ones. I don't search it out when shopping there, but I do compare it to the basic brand.

I do love their Elevation protein bars. 20 grams of protein for $1 !!! I hope they come out with more flavors than just the 2 they have at the moment (although the chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are really yummy).
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The 14 calorie frozen fruit and vanilla cream bars are a hit at my house. Love Aldi's!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I buy the mozzarella cheese sticks, 2% American cheese slices, Greek yogurt, and frozen turkey meatballs on the regular. I also love the Elevation knockoff Clif bars in the white chocolate macadamia nut.
  • justinesprouse
    justinesprouse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Overall this is a great brand to buy especially if you are still getting used to eating healthier. I haven't tried every product but what I have tried is tasty and a decent price.