Getting Disability for Depression???

Options

Replies

• JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Complete and utter bulls!it. I have a neighbor who is in his forties.. been on disability since his twenties because of herniated disks... but I see this relaxed, plump overfed 'man' riding his bike ands running with kids all the damn time. Has nicer clothes then me, wears gold chains, his tv is twice the size of my doorway. And here I am workin two jobs most of the time. I once cracked a joke that I'm workin so he can relax.. which he replied sayin if I was with him I wouldn't have to work. That irritated me enough to blurt out I prefer real, hard working men who earn their *kitten*, to which he got defensive and replied I'm not his type anyway. Depression? I've been depressed, yet still understood that I had a job to do and the consequences if I didn't do my job. Not my problem that you get depressed and decide you don't wanna work anymore. At lest it shouldn't be, anyway.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Boy do I have experience in this area. Both for myself and my partner. I went through many years of therapy before I could reach the point that I am at today. I suffered from PTSD from my childhood, I was abused as a child and also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I was physically abused during my first marriage and so on. I could write a book. I never went on disability but there were times I would have to take a leave of absence from work to get some intense therapy and healing.

My partner is bi-polar, has PTSD, also a survivor of childhood abuse and sexual abuse (rape by her brothers). In the last four months, she has been in a mental health facility at least once each month. She is not on disability but she is currently on leave of absence from her job. In the last year and half, she has deteriorated rapidly. She has pseudo seizures that can happen anytime or anyplace. Her only forewarning is that she starts feeling "ants crawling on her brain". She hears voices telling her to kill herself and she has tried to commit suicide. One night this week she locked herself in the bathroom for the entire night crying and talking to the voices. I couldn't get in. Finally the next morning she was begging me to let her out of the bathroom. She thought I had locked her in there. It took me an hour to convince her she had to stand up and unlock the door. When she finally got out, she fell into my arms crying and exhausted.

No, she is not on disability yet, but as the former director of disabilities for the state of Kentucky, I have convinced her that she really needs to apply for disability and she has an appointment next month.

Please don't assume that all disabilities must be physical in nature. Actually mental disabilities can be much more crippling than physical ones. While I had good success eventually with years of therapy and finding the right combination of medications, a lot of people never do. Just pray that it never happens to you.

The last part of your statement is what I learned. I was coming from a physical meaning of disability. I didn't know depression could be so problematic. So why is it classified on such a low degree of severity then, is it because it's capacities can range from minor to severe? I hope your partner gets help, because yeah, you really can't function if your mind won't let you.

I do apologize if I offended anyone. I didn't purposefully mean to. I still think that people with crippling depression need more than just a check every month. I really think it's important for a psychiatrist to really be working with them that CARES. If the money helps alleviate a burden on the mind, then that's what's needed, but they should not be pushed aside and given up on just because typical avenues haven't worked for them. My family member is struggling with disability right now. Her doctors just load her up on pain meds and send her on her way. When she calls back cause they either don't work or stopped working, they either give her more and tell her to wait. No compassion, no desire to help, just here's some money, here's some food stamps, here's some health insurance, try not to let the door hit you on the way out. Oh, and make sure you're back by the 15th, so that your 800.00 for you equates to 1500.00 for me. I gotta keep your cycle going you know.

Yeah. Can you tell America's standard of healthcare makes me a little irritated?

My partner sees a psychiatrist and psychologist regularly, like every two weeks. Guess who pays for her health care? I do! I pay $466.00 per month for her COBRA insurance. We're not married because our state doesn't recognize same-sex marriage. But let's just say I was totally out of the picture. She is not on SSI or SSD or any state or federal programs. Where would she live, how would she be able to eat, how would she be able to have medical care, how would she pay for her medicines, some that cost over $200 per month AFTER her health insurance co-pay? Her out-of-pocket medical expenses this year alone have exceeded $50,000. That is just hospitalizations, not doctor visits or medicines. She has no savings left. She is penniless. No one can really think she is enjoying any of these. We were used to taking 3 vacations per year because we could afford it. There are no vacations this year. Her employer WILL NOT let her come back to work while she is having seizures. She has to be able to do her job 100% without any limitations. So no if she gets SSD, it wont mean we get to resume vacations, it means she will be able to pay for her healthcare and that will probably be all.

She used to be such an active person. Now I watch her stay in bed for the biggest part of the day and the rest of the day I watch her talk to people that are not even here. She will not leave the house unless it is for a doctor's appointment. It has even taken a toll on me, watching a once vital person spiral out of control and become the vegetable she is today. She had a horrible event happen in January 2012 that turned her world upside down and she has deteriorated since then.

While I agree there are some people who are on disability that should not be, I refuse to judge anyone without hardcore evidence to the contrary. Let me give you a point in case. Before I retired one particular case comes to mind. A man had applied for disability based on a back condition. We denied his case for disability and he appealed. While we were in the appeal process, we had one of our investigators "tail him". This man with the disabling back condition was filmed playing golf, mowing his yard (push mower), loading his boat onto his truck by himself and unloading his boat at the boat dock by himself, etc. I've done all of these things in my lifetime and yes you must use your back to perform all these functions he was captured on film doing, especially playing golf. Needless to say, when we presented our case at the appeal hearing, he was denied.

My partner not only has mental disabilities, but physical ones too. She has sciatica, she has COPD (she will be on oxygen in less than a year), she has insomnia, she is manic, personality disorder and all kinds of mental disorders. She does not want to even live. I have to lock all of our medications in a safe. I've had to safeguard the house from razors, box cutters, my gun, knives, etc. I wake up in the middle of the night to find our furniture all re-arranged and she will never remember anything she says or does during these episodes. I've had her wake me up in the middle of the night and tell me to hurry up and get ready that we have company coming over to spend the night. I walk into the living room to find our sectional couch made up into 3 beds with pillows, blankets, a stuffed animal for each one. No one is coming over but the voices tell her they are. The voices are mostly her dead relatives telling her to come to them.

So really, come change places with me for a week and see if you still believe people cant be disabled mentally. I could honestly use the break. I've gone from being her partner to being her caretaker as well as caretaker for my elderly parents. Every time I leave the house to help out my parents or just do normal every day life stuff, I have to constantly worry about what is going on at my house.

Please understand that I'm not scolding you for your post, but trying to give you some insight into the daily life of a person with mental illness. I don't know about your neighbor but I do know from first-hand experience how mental illness has affected my life and my partner's life.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    It may have been a short diagnosis to give you. There may be other issues that you aren't privy to. Sometimes it's just easier to tell people something they can almost wrap their minds around rather than attempting to explain the whole medical history with them. Depression falls on many levels and you must not judge on that one statement. :heart:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wow. I just cannot believe this thread.

I had depression, anxiety, agoraphobia and various eating disorders for 12 years. At some points I couldn't leave the house, and that wasn't just when I had Agoraphobia.

I barely went to school, nevermind college or work. Do you really think someone who's trying to kill themselves is fit to go to work?

I would like to add that now a few years on, I have a good job that is well paid, I am renting my own house and saving for a mortgage. So whilst it can ruin your life and put it on hold, if you are able to get help, medication and therapy, you can go on to live a normal life.

Just LOL at this thread and the OP. I find it hard to believe in this day and age anyone is so cray to think this way. I think you possibly have more issues than any of us 'schizos' ever had. :noway:
  • cavachon7
    cavachon7 Posts: 5
    Options
    It's about time mental health was covered under health insurance plans, honestly.

THIS. I was on short term disability and had to go into treatment for a mental illness. It took months of fighting with the insurance companies to get approvals and coverage. I can't imagine what it's like for 99% of the population suffering from mental diseases.
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. Which unfortunately meant in my third year of university I had to take time off and go on disability. This was only a temporary stop gap so that I can get well and go back to univesity. I suffer with severe, psychotic depressions and yes, when depressed, I am not be able to work. I can't get dressed, I can't leave the house without panic attacks. i lay in bed all day and cry, and the psychotic symptoms I experience during my depressions mean I am often terrified people are plotting to kill me or demons are after me. I can also experience hallucinations, although this is very rare. Whilst deeply depressed, I once become so convinced my boyfriend was trying to kill me I attacked him. I have had treatment ranging from hospital to nurses visiting my home every day. I find your attitude very offensive. You have no idea what this ladies depressions are like, even if you have suffered depression, every one has different experiences of depression.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have 4 wisdom teeth out soon, and I will get sick pay and a week off work for that. That's nowhere near as debilitating as depression.

Yet, OP would find the first one okay. If only mental illness could be cured with surgery and a weeks recovery, huh.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    As a schizo on medication who currently cannot work I take mild offence to that.

But to the point of the thread, yes clinical depression can be crippling to the point where a person cannot work. Is it really your place to be judging the veracity of someone else's mental illness?

Do you have personal experience with it, or...?

I'm very sorry. I shortened the work out of sheer laziness. I will go back and fix it.

And yes I do. I was clinically depressed for a long time. So was my brother. He was hospitalized because of it, and on meds. But disability was never offered to him to help. My mom has a mental disorder, that I will not disclose. But no disability. I was just wondering is all. I have mental illness rampant in my family, but disability for it? It still doesn't seem right.

I

It may work differently where you live, but disability benefit is applied for, it isn't just offered to you. And yes, depression can prevent you from leaving the house, let alone prevent you from working depending on it's severity.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think on any kind of welfare system, there are going to be people who find a way to cheat it. That being said, I think that number is probably very small compared to the people who actually need to utilize welfare benefits.

For some people, yes, depression as well as other emotional and psychological disorders can be very crippling. I had a few relatives who were so bad off, they needed to be hospitalized for a brief period of time. Their disorders negatively affected their school work. I imagine that someone in that state probably would have a difficult if not impossible time trying to do a job as well. Sometimes, this can be a difficult judgment call to make, because some people are around that threshold, but if someone is clearly struggling to do basic tasks and social activities due to a psychological disorder, I'd say that would make them rather incapacitated to work.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I live with someone who suffers from depression.....I think I am becoming DISABLED! :frown:
    Seriously, it can be BAD!

This post gets my vote.

1) Schizophrenia and depression are two completely different disorders. They can impact each other, but they're different in the same way the being obese and having diabetes are different, but impact each other.

2) Living with someone who has depression, as in someone who's clinically diagnosed with depression, not someone who's sad because they're having a bad day, is hell. Pure hell. Like one of the rings in the hell described by Dante. It's also like standing on the edge of a pool and not being able to help save the person you love as you watch them drown. Between the helplessness that the caregiver feels and the crap they have to deal with, it wears everyone down.

If the woman mentioned by the OP is scamming the system, that's it's own form of mental illness right there. Something's not right in her noggin. If she IS depressed, yes, it can be debilitating to the point of being unbelievable.

Things depressed people (clinically depressed people) might do / I've seen them do:
    - Not eat
    - Binge eat (eating an ENTIRE pound of brick cheese in one sitting, with an entire bag of pepperoni in one sitting and an entire box of Triscuits. Just because. )
    - Not bathe for days. DAYS.
    - Not change their clothes for days
    - Not shave. Not brush their teeth
    - Sleep a LOT. Like, all the time. Like more than the dog sleeps and then have insomnia for days
    - Get easily upset about things that "rational" people don't get upset about
    - Get eerily quiet and zone, staring out into space
    - Not want to leave the house to go to work, school, the store
    - Become easily argumentative
    - Lose interest in their family and friends
    - Live in squalor / in a mess / in clutter
    - not seek help for depression because they're too depressed (maybe feeling hopeless or worthless) to see their behavior as needing help or being beyond help.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Awhile back I met a woman who used to live in my old neighborhood. She was a very nice woman. We would talk everytime we saw each other. One day out of the sake of conversation I asked her where did she work. She told me she didn't work. I looked confused because she lived alone except for her 16 year old son, so I knew something didn't seem right. I think she could read the expression in my face because she said, "oh, I'm in disability due to depression."

It took a lot of conscious thought to keep my face straight.

You're getting disability for being depressed?

What are your thoughts? Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of money? Can depression really be so crippling that you can't work? I mean, even people with highly crippling mental disabilities on medication can go to work...... Is someone's depression so damning that they just won't be able to work? To me that's a hopeless existence.

Depression can indeed, be completely debilitating and render the person helpless. Real depression is a lot different to just being "fed-up",

I am taking it you have never suffered such depression otherwise you would not have had to try to keep a straight face.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I used to work with people with extreme depression. Depression can be far worse than certain physical disabilities, without a doubt.

Just think, people who commit suicide are depressed - for whatever reasons. If people can be depressed enough to take their own life, then I'm sure people can be depressed enough to not work.

As for receiving a disability benefit it depends. Some people get depressed to the point they cannot get it together to even wash themselves, take basic care of themselves. Some can't leave the house unsupervised, etc. So yes, I do think certain individuals should get some kind of disability entitlement. It should be means tested, based on someones individual circumstances.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has a disability, mental or otherwise, doesn't mean they automatically get a gov't check. They have to apply.

Just applying for a disability payment doesn't mean they'll get one. They'll have to fight for it.

Just because a person seems relatively normal to in a passing conversation doesn't mean they aren't dealing with a crippling disorder that prevents them from having a normal life. Saying hello to your neighbor doesn't give you intimate knowledge of them.

Just because you edited you're original post doesn't mean we can't still sense the tremendous animosity behind it.
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have battled, (still fighting) breast cancer, and talk about depression..................IT IS FOR REAL !!!!
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Awesome word "entitlement".

We really do live in the greatest country in the world!

I personally hated to read what some of the posters in this thread are going through, thoughts and prayers.

The rest of MY personal opinions on this subject...I will keep to myself.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I guess I better prepare for my eyes to get stick in the back of my head.

DavPaul- I edited the post because I offended a user. That's not what I intended to do. As for having "tremendous animosity" towards this woman, yeah right. I don't have time to have tremendous animosity about her. If you think my post has tremendous animosity then I would hate for you to see how I am with my son. I have been known to scowl at children who dare try to touch my pooh bear with hands they just put in their nose. Seriously, don't hyperbolize the situation.

And to the poster who said I'm not trying to scold you, don't worry, I'm not that sensitive. That didn't even cross my mind. Lol! I appreciate you being so open to help me understand. Thank you.

And as far as this topic goes, I got what I needed from it. I learned a lot from everyone who came forward. I can see now why people on disability need it for depression. I just hope they don't become a casualty of the system.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I live with someone who suffers from depression.....I think I am becoming DISABLED! :frown:
    Seriously, it can be BAD!

This post gets my vote.

1) Schizophrenia and depression are two completely different disorders. They can impact each other, but they're different in the same way the being obese and having diabetes are different, but impact each other.

2) Living with someone who has depression, as in someone who's clinically diagnosed with depression, not someone who's sad because they're having a bad day, is hell. Pure hell. Like one of the rings in the hell described by Dante. It's also like standing on the edge of a pool and not being able to help save the person you love as you watch them drown. Between the helplessness that the caregiver feels and the crap they have to deal with, it wears everyone down.

If the woman mentioned by the OP is scamming the system, that's it's own form of mental illness right there. Something's not right in her noggin. If she IS depressed, yes, it can be debilitating to the point of being unbelievable.

Things depressed people (clinically depressed people) might do / I've seen them do:
    - Not eat
    - Binge eat (eating an ENTIRE pound of brick cheese in one sitting, with an entire bag of pepperoni in one sitting and an entire box of Triscuits. Just because. )
    - Not bathe for days. DAYS.
    - Not change their clothes for days
    - Not shave. Not brush their teeth
    - Sleep a LOT. Like, all the time. Like more than the dog sleeps and then have insomnia for days
    - Get easily upset about things that "rational" people don't get upset about
    - Get eerily quiet and zone, staring out into space
    - Not want to leave the house to go to work, school, the store
    - Become easily argumentative
    - Lose interest in their family and friends
    - Live in squalor / in a mess / in clutter
    - not seek help for depression because they're too depressed (maybe feeling hopeless or worthless) to see their behavior as needing help or being beyond help.
    I've been through all of those things you listed.... both with myself and my boyfriend since we both suffer from clinical depression. The pool/drowning analogy you used is a good way to explain what it's like to be with someone with the disorder, but I would add that while you're watching them drown, most of the time they don't know they're drowning, and often when they do know, they just don't care.

I've been so depressed that I would call in sick for work at a job that I love just because I didn't feel like getting out of bed for days. I just didn't want to exist. Depression hurts emotionally, spiritually, and sometimes physically. I also deal with chronic migraines and chronic daily headache so I'm usually in physical pain every day on top of the depression.

If I could get approved for disability, I might do it just to lessen the misery by not forcing myself to suffer through work when I feel so horrible. Sometimes you want to do anything to feel just a little better, but personally I'd be afraid to go on disability for fear of judgement from others who just don't understand, as well as the fact that I would feel like I've given up (just for me personally. I'm not saying that people who have had to use disability benefits have given up). I've never looked at trying to get disability because I know that on good days, I can still do things so I feel like I shouldn't, but then a string of bad days comes along when all I want to do is crawl into a dark hole by myself and never emerge, and I think that maybe some kind of benefits would help.

Sorry for the random strings of thoughts. I just started typing in a stream-of-consciousness kind of way.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow. I just cannot believe this thread.

This.
    :noway:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has a disability, mental or otherwise, doesn't mean they automatically get a gov't check. They have to apply.

Just applying for a disability payment doesn't mean they'll get one. They'll have to fight for it.

Just because a person seems relatively normal to in a passing conversation doesn't mean they aren't dealing with a crippling disorder that prevents them from having a normal life. Saying hello to your neighbor doesn't give you intimate knowledge of them.

Just because you edited you're original post doesn't mean we can't still sense the tremendous animosity behind it.

WELL SAID!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with getting disability for it...
This discussion has been closed.