How Friendly Are Gym Folks?

Options
13»

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I am a gym member. I am not seeking social contact when I am working out. I try not to be rude, either, and I will acknowledge people when they speak to me and try to modify my normal "dammit I'll bite you" expression that I have when I am concentrating hard. Inside, I am saying "OK enough now go away."
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    are people friendly? some are, some arent. some of these go to gyms.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have gym buddies. But I have spent 10 hours in the weight room per week for 3 years. It took time. And even now, sometimes we ignore each other if we are not in the mood to engage.

I am generally pleasant to people at the gym. I have yelled at a few *kitten* though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I checked your locale to see if you were in the US and then Meet Up is an option. And you live near me! I'm in Irvine!

There are tons of active meet up groups for hiking and biking and other fitness stuff.

Maybe try getting your feet wet there as one option. There are all kinds of folks in the hiking groups I've been to. I go to a gym and lift and do cardio, I also belong to a yoga studio. When I lift I'm very focused inward, same thing with cardio. Yoga is a lot more social and all we do hiking is chat.

You can have whatever kind of experience you want when you work out.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    They are friendly as long as you don't talk to them or otherwise interrupt their flow. :D;)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Gyms are part of normal society Therefore how people are in a gym is very muc a reflection of society. There are nice people and not so nice people. At some gyms people keep to themselves, others may be more beign part of a family thype gym.
    Have a look around some that are near (if there is only one then yes that is difficult) and talk to people, ask questions. It is really easy to see if the 'vibe' and you match.

I decided on my gym that way (choice between three for me) and have no regrets.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do what I need to do at the gym, maybe the occasional nod or smile or "are you done with that?", and focus on myself. Cultures of gyms are totally different- try out a few to find on that suits your style.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Having worked in gyms for almost all of my life, I'll tell you that there are too many variables to figure out if you'll find the right gym buddy. Most people are there for themselves first and foremost and just like to get their own workouts done. Many times just having to wait for equipment can be annoying to some and then add on top of that waiting for a gym buddy to finish. Or having a gym buddy that shows up late or not at all. Things to consider.
    Personally I train by myself and have for years.
    Many of my clients like that we can "talk" while I train them and count reps. So maybe consider hiring a trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Depends. My gym caters to body builders and weightlifters mainly who are very focused on their work so I don't socialize very often, and I'm okay with that. I have had trials at other gyms where it was mostly moms and fellow college aged women and we talked a lot about everything. Best advice I'd have is to scope em out. Try and get a free day/week and see how it feels!