Why do cheap eggs make me sick?

Options

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    CMNVA wrote: »
    It's probably something in the feed. Eggland's Best eggs actually have a little bit lower calorie count than a regular egg based on the hens' feed.

This is from their website:

The unique patented diet of our hens is nutritionally superior to that fed to other hens, so Eggland's Best hens lay naturally superior eggs. Eggland's Best hens are fed a wholesome all-vegetarian, high-quality diet with no animal fat, no animal by-products, and no recycled or processed food.

I hate that "all-vegetarian" is used as a marker for superior when it comes to eggs! If I could get them, I'd take the eggs from chickens who are out foraging for bugs over vegetarian fed any day. I'm on board with the rest of the diet, there just isn't anything better about vegetarian chickens!

I only by Eggland's because when I was eating at a strict deficit, their eggs were 5-10 calories less than regular eggs. Hey, I take what I can get. I stuck with them because I actually like the quality of the egg. They are consistent. My store brand (cheaper) eggs sometimes had odd colored whites, blood in them, or other odd things.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's probably something in the feed. Eggland's Best eggs actually have a little bit lower calorie count than a regular egg based on the hens' feed.

The unique patented diet of our hens is nutritionally superior to that fed to other hens, so Eggland's Best hens lay naturally superior eggs. Eggland's Best hens are fed a wholesome all-vegetarian, high-quality diet with no animal fat, no animal by-products, and no recycled or processed food.

I hate that "all-vegetarian" is used as a marker for superior when it comes to eggs! If I could get them, I'd take the eggs from chickens who are out foraging for bugs over vegetarian fed any day. I'm on board with the rest of the diet, there just isn't anything better about vegetarian chickens!

Totally.

The thing about the diet being superior is also puffery, it basically means nothing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My local eggs are going for 49¢ a dozen so I am glad I don't react to anything.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Well according to Eggland, they feed thier chickens magic awesomeness that is different grom the biring crap most people feed them. Probably has to do with something in the feed of regular chickens you ate sensitive to.

http://www.egglandsbest.com/superior-nutrition/eb-eggs-vs-ordinary-eggs/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

How on earth can they be that cheap. That's kind of alarming.
  • ourenchantedcottage
    ourenchantedcottage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to live by where Eggland Best Chicken Farm is. The government had to step in for their treatment of those chickens and the filth from that farm. No way would I ever purchase those that were distributed from that chicken farm. People pay a lot for those eggs, but I wouldn't, those are silo eggs. Anyone can look it up on the internet they are located in New England. There are probably eggs at your local natural food store for cheaper than Eggland Best. You know when you get a farm fresh egg and the yolk is almost orange and white is firm.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

last year we had a bird flu go through that wiped out much of the laying stock so they went up to an average of $1.99 a dozen. The producers restocked with more than normal and the hens they brought in were resistant to the flu so right now we have an overabundance of eggs. Helps that I live in an agricultural state.

We should eventually balance out to an average of around $1.00 a dozen.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

We find them on sale that low occasionally too. :)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I vote for cheaper feed. You are allergic to something in the cheaper feed. Maybe soy.

Soy is pretty universal to commercial chicken feed. In fact, it is a right PITA to find commercial scratch without soy and when you do, you pay a significant premium for it. :\

From Eggland's Best FAQ @ http://www.egglandsbest.com/faqs/ (emphasis mine):
    What is special about feed consumed by flocks producing Eggland’s Best eggs?

Eggland’s Best hens are fed a strictly controlled, high-quality all-vegetarian diet that contains no animal fat, no animal by-products, and no recycled or processed food commonly found in livestock and poultry feeds. Our wholesome feed contains soybean meal, healthy grains, canola oil, and/or flax seed, which are high in Omega-3 fatty acid content, and our Biotene® supplement, a unique supplement that includes rice bran, alfalfa meal, sea kelp, and Vitamin E. Because the unique diet of our hens is nutritionally superior to what is fed to other hens, Eggland’s Best hens lay nutritionally superior eggs.

Also, "cage-free" just means they are not in cages. There is no requirement or guarantee of either adequate space per bird, still, let alone access outside the commercial "hen house" (long barn, usually). If the facility is certified humane though each bird gets a whopping 1.5 square feet of space guaranteed.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Chickens aren't supposed to be vegetarian. My eggs (who lay fabulous eggs) roam my yard at least a couple of hours every day eating all kinds of yummy bugs. I feel sorry for the vegetarian chickens.

Same here.... our chickens are also let out of the coop on the regular and they love to hunt around for bugs. Just have to keep them out of our garden! They are treated like queens and the eggs taste better with the bright yolks.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

We have cheap eggs in the US because our chickens aren't vaccinated. If anyone is paying more than $1.50 for our salmonella covered eggs it's too much.

Not in California. Our chickens require bigger cages, so $1.50 is a great deal around here.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I pay $8 a dozen for my free range eggs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I pay $8 a dozen for my free range eggs.

We can get organic for $9/10, and free range for $6/7....for 800g cartons. $1/2 seems like a steal!