Stress fracture? Toe hurts awful

Options
My fourth toe hurts terribly, particularly when walking or applying pressure -- but I don't recall injuring it in a direct way.

I've been running and doing Insanity quite a bit, but this has me struggling and needing to take a rest for cardio.

Not sure if it's a go-to-the-doctor thing, yet. But damn, it hurts, radiates out from the toe -- hurts WAY more when trying to walk.

Anybody have any experience with random stress fractures or something similar?

Replies

• TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a big toe problem. I find I walk on the side of my foot to take the pressure off. I put up with it for months. Thought I had gout as it hurt to touch it, walk on it, wear shoes, not wear shoes, throb when off my feet, etc. it always hurt.

Turns out after several scans I have bad arthritis in that one toe and it was hurting so bad because of the inflammation. I was put on decent medication for 10 days to bring the inflammation down and restricted to certain footwear. I notice it gets particularly bad now only when I wear heeled shoes or do a lot of walking.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Be careful you might have injured it with the workouts. I injured my heel running.

Might be a good idea to get it checked out since there could be a fracture. Hope it feels better
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. I thought I had a stress fracture but it turns out I have arthritis. Totally different treatment needed.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    as far as figuring out how it happened, that might be easier to track down once you know what it is. so i think the first stage would be to find out what's wrong with it. something that hurts that much definitely seems like it needs diagnosing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you jammed it hard. Insanity has burpees and running in place right? Just coming down wrong doing HIGH IMPACT movements can easily jack up the tendons and ligaments that lead to the toes. Should probably get it
    X-rayed to be sure or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    My fourth toe hurts terribly, particularly when walking or applying pressure -- but I don't recall injuring it in a direct way.

I've been running and doing Insanity quite a bit, but this has me struggling and needing to take a rest for cardio.

Not sure if it's a go-to-the-doctor thing, yet. But damn, it hurts, radiates out from the toe -- hurts WAY more when trying to walk.

Anybody have any experience with random stress fractures or something similar?

Yeah its a 'go to the doctor" thing...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As a general rule: if you can't put weight on it, it's a "go to the doctor" thing. It could be something or it could be nothing that can't be helped by simple rest, either way a doctor is the only way to find out.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Go to the dr; I broke 3 toes (tripping on the stairs); it didn't hurt, but toes were sore and purple. I got frostbite in 6 toes, b/c I wasn't wearing proper cold weather footwear (and was then diagnosed with a vascular condition).

Don't neglect your feet.

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My big toe pain was also diagnosed as arthritis (and bone spurs). I'd see a doctor to rule out a stress fracture, though. Sometimes the pain wakes me up in the middle of the night, and sometimes it doesn't hurt much at all. I think the connection is with the shoes I choose to wear.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Okay I went to the doctor.

Torn ligament. They put me on a steroid. Should be better in 2-3 weeks if not sooner, but no Insanity for awhile :(.... Thanks for the advice, folks!
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sounds like you jammed it hard. Insanity has burpees and running in place right? Just coming down wrong doing HIGH IMPACT movements can easily jack up the tendons and ligaments that lead to the toes. Should probably get it
    X-rayed to be sure or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah Insanity is a lot of jump training, burpees, running in place, jumping jacks etc...

I was going pretty strong with it. I also think I need a better pair of workout shoes, these are pretty run down. Going to fix that problem, too.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was about to write a similar post! I have been doing stuff similar to insanity for 9 weeks, then my right knee started bugging me. So this week I switched to a weightlifting program and lower impact cardio and now my left foot is killing me. Top of my foot and under my arch a bit. I have a metal plate in that ankle but haven't had any issues until now. I can walk on it with a limp. Stress fracture? Ligament? Arthritis? Your guess is as good as mine.