Tough Mudder Training

Options
Hi all!

My gym gets a big group together each year to do the Tough Mudder, and I've decided my new long-term fitness goal is to complete it next year! It'll be July 14, 2018. I currently work out 6 days a week, doing kickboxing 3 days/week and resistance band training 3 days/week (alternating upper and lower body days).

My biggest concern is running. I've never been a runner. The last time I ran (and walked) a mile, I finished in about 12 and a half minutes. And I was majorly struggling. Tough Mudder has a 3 month training program, but day 3 is "run 4 miles". That won't be happening anytime soon, lol. I'm thinking I will start with C25k (2 months), then move to a half marathon training program (3 months), and then do TM's program (3 months). At that point, I'll see what else it makes sense to do.

Has anyone completed a Tough Mudder/think that this sounds sufficient to prepare? I've read that upper body strength is huge too, so that is another thing I'll have to think about. I know I have almost an entire year to prepare, but I still want to get started right away so I feel ready when the time comes. This will be waaaaay out of my comfort zone, but I know it will feel awesome to finish! Any feedback is welcome. :smile:

Replies

• Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first TM I had only run as far as a 5k. Most of their courses are pretty flat and the obstacles break it up. You have plenty of time to train and work up your mileage.

And yes, focus on strength training as well. The thing about TM is that many obstacles are designed to require assistance from other people. You will meet plenty of other mudder on the course willing to help you out. Have fun with it!
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The only feedback I can offer is everyone in the Bodybuilding.com forums make fun of people who do the TM competition. Why do you think that is?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My gym gets a big group together each year to do the Tough Mudder, and I've decided my new long-term fitness goal is to complete it next year! It'll be July 14, 2018. I currently work out 6 days a week, doing kickboxing 3 days/week and resistance band training 3 days/week (alternating upper and lower body days).

My biggest concern is running. I've never been a runner. The last time I ran (and walked) a mile, I finished in about 12 and a half minutes. And I was majorly struggling. Tough Mudder has a 3 month training program, but day 3 is "run 4 miles". That won't be happening anytime soon, lol. I'm thinking I will start with C25k (2 months), then move to a half marathon training program (3 months), and then do TM's program (3 months). At that point, I'll see what else it makes sense to do.

Has anyone completed a Tough Mudder/think that this sounds sufficient to prepare? I've read that upper body strength is huge too, so that is another thing I'll have to think about. I know I have almost an entire year to prepare, but I still want to get started right away so I feel ready when the time comes. This will be waaaaay out of my comfort zone, but I know it will feel awesome to finish! Any feedback is welcome. :smile:

Awesome!

Tough Mudder is possibly my favorite of the OCRs as it stresses team building and the goal is to get everyone passed the obstacles. Just enjoy the ride and the mudfest.

As this is your first take it slowly. Depending on your start time the field gets muddy fast and makes the course treacherous. You have plenty of time and ensure you incorporate a good deal of trail running to build up your ankles for this. C25K is a great one - Zombies, Run! is another great option.

Upper body is huge, so lat/trap builders, pullups, and bodyweight exercises are key. TM and Spartan Race both have great daily/weekly exercises and videos showing best practices on finishing the obstacles.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The BF and I did one a few years ago. We actually slacked on training right before. We still finished, easily I definitely sucked at a few of the obstacles-but we did every single one. I fell in the water on the monkey bar things-but so did most people). It took me three tries to get up the wall, but I did it.

You want to have a solid base of running, but more just cardiovascular endurance in general. I think my sprint training was more important than distance. You run a bit, then hit an obstacle. Often the obstacle has a line. So you don't run for 4-5 miles at a pop, I would say I only did maybe 2-3 at a stretch, and most of the obstacles were about a mile apart.

However! There was TONS of climbing and maneuvering in slippery mud. I was thankful that my legs were very strong, and that I had endurance. I did lots of boot camp style classes, and when I ran I did hills and stairs. I also incorporated lots of lunges and awful leg-killing exercises-and was thankful I did because they took a beating. I highly recommend doing a *kitten* ton of lunges and walking lunges and side lunges. Just all the lunges. Plus, it's difficult to constantly start and stop. So you may want to run to the gym, do a circuit workout, then run home. For example.

Anyway, it was AWESOME. Like I said, we were very fit beforehand and circumstances just so happened to limit our training for the few months before, and I still thought it was an amazing experience. Just hours of being outside, pushing yourself, focusing on the moment, not really knowing what to expect. People there are cool, too. Everyone helps each other. It's a great environment, and they are run extremely well (snacks at appropriate times, water, bathrooms). Very organized. Good luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    your planned training plan sounds about three times as extensive as the training I did when i did a TM. I had great ideas about properly training, and did a bit of c25k, but basically relied on brute force and ignorance to get me through. I could barely move the next day.

Running is only a small part of it, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part - I would probably skip the HM training plan set of your current planned schedule and swap it for more overall body conditioning. It's good to have a running base, but you don't need THAT much of a running base. Maybe up to about a 10k base but no more (even thought the TM is around 10-12 miles, there's so much stop start you won't notice the distance)

strength and flexibility are key. Take a look at some of the obstacles, and work on that - so monkey bars, climbing skills, how to avoid being electrocuted (you won't) are good things to practise. Most of the obstacles are pretty much impossible to do on your own so you will need to make sure you can keep up with your team. Even then, what tends to happen is that everyone helps everyone else, and complete strangers get everyone through with a big laugh.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would actually disagree - the running part is the part that everyone underestimates in an OCR/mud run. You need endurance (running and strength). My biggest tip is to not train too much too soon. Too many people just start doing all these crazy workouts and end up hurting themselves. If you have any extra weight, trying to drop that will definitely benefit you the most. Feel free to add me or message me more questions...I have to get going, didn't realize the time, ha! Good luck and get excited, you will have a blast!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only feedback I can offer is everyone in the Bodybuilding.com forums make fun of people who do the TM competition. Why do you think that is?

Anybody who's ever visited the bb.com forums knows the answer to that question. Bruh.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal!! I haven't run one yet, so I don't have any advice or recommendations, but I am planning to run one this October (I will only be a little over 10k ready by that point)! Feel free to add me if you want to talk about training or anything. Good luck!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about it as a long term goal as well for myself in the next year or so. I have added running in between my lifting days to build up more mileage but I have a bit of a ways to go with strength (I basically have spaghetti arms) for the time being. Good luck with your training!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the mudder in Payson, AZ (it's a 5k). This year it was at the beginning of June, so I assume it will be around the same time next year, which would give me about 10 months to prepare. There is no way I could even attempt it now, not sure I can be ready in 10 months. I'm currently 309 lbs with no upper body strength. Realistically, in 10 months I think I could lose 60 - 80 pounds, but can I build up my upper body strength at the same time?

I plan on hitting the gym to start strength training today, but I am doing the Strong Curves program, which doesn't have much upper body training. I wonder if I need to consider a different program? Or is this goal totally impossible and I should look at something more realistic?

I wonder when I'd have to start adding running to my routine. I currently do Zumba two days a week (1 hour sessions), hike two days a week (generally around 2 - 3 miles a day) and walk either on the treadmill or around the neighborhood on the other days. On my neighborhood walks I'm up to 3 miles, but I tend to only do about 1.5 on the treadmill--I have a low tolerance for boredom.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the mudder in Payson, AZ (it's a 5k). This year it was at the beginning of June, so I assume it will be around the same time next year, which would give me about 10 months to prepare. There is no way I could even attempt it now, not sure I can be ready in 10 months. I'm currently 309 lbs with no upper body strength. Realistically, in 10 months I think I could lose 60 - 80 pounds, but can I build up my upper body strength at the same time?

Serious question.... can you get out of bed unassisted?

If yes, then you have the upper body/core strength to move 309 lbs.

You have upper body strength. If you lose 60-80 lbs, and maintain that strength... You'll do just fine.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Serious question.... can you get out of bed unassisted?

If yes, then you have the upper body/core strength to move 309 lbs.

You have upper body strength. If you lose 60-80 lbs, and maintain that strength... You'll do just fine.

LOL. Good point. When I was 410 I could barely get out of bed and was constantly injuring my shoulders, but I can get out of bed without any problem these days.