DeskCycle . How to record activity?

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
I just bought a DeskCycle to get in some more exercise. At the moment I'm on the lowest setting ( as suggested by the manual).
The DeskCycle does tell me time, and distance I have gone but I honestly do not feel it's much effort to use this right now since it's on it's lowest setting.

I'm wondering what's a good option for recording my activity with the DeskCycle?

DeskCycle in case anyone was wondering
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1VDNQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Time and distance won't help because they calculators and databases that take that into account will give you an estimate for moving at that speed, which requires you to overcome air resistance. Because you're not moving, you don't have to do this.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OMG this looks awesome
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So I found this
    http://www.deskcycle.com/CalorieCalculator.html

Which I didn't know until now. I'm not sure if I truly believe the calorie burn so I'll probably just use part of the total but I thought I would share if anyone was interested.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what kind of work people do that they can cycle at the same time? I do a lot of resesrch and technical writing on the computer. I really don't know how I would do my work while cycling my feet all the time!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    So I found this
    http://www.deskcycle.com/CalorieCalculator.html

Which I didn't know until now. I'm not sure if I truly believe the calorie burn so I'll probably just use part of the total but I thought I would share if anyone was interested.

Why do they credit you with more calories for weighing more (with everything else being equal)? Sitting in a chair moving your feet isn't a weight bearing exercise, so your weight is irrelevant.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have one, I don't think it burns that many calories so I don't worry about logging it. Even if I pedal for a couple hours every day I doubt I would burn more than 100-200 so I just think of it as an extra calorie cushion. But, I would think the stats for a recumbent bike would be the closest estimate. I forget I'm pedaling sometimes while I'm working.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have one, I don't think it burns that many calories so I don't worry about logging it. Even if I pedal for a couple hours every day I doubt I would burn more than 100-200 so I just think of it as an extra calorie cushion.

I think you'd be surprised. That's an extra 1000 calories a week (assuming you just do it at work). It's significant.

Good point! I better get to pedaling! Thanks.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    96 cals per day = 35,040 cals per year
    10lbs of fat = 35,000cals.
    It is up to you if that is plus 10lbs, or minus 10lbs.
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this. Thanks for the link. I feel like I can't get enough exercise sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I got mine in February and love it. I concentrate on heart rate and not speed or distance.

I try to get my heart rate to around 110 bpm - bike for 30-60 minutes.

I'm sitting for an hour each way commuting to work and have a desk job.

I also have really bad osteoarthritis in both knees so simple things like walking are difficult.

Between it and keeping to my MFP calorie goal I've lost 42.5 lbs since April.

And I'm now able be more active than before.

It's been so great my 81 year old mother bought one and uses it every day. :)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm just curious what kind of work people do that they can cycle at the same time? I do a lot of resesrch and technical writing on the computer. I really don't know how I would do my work while cycling my feet all the time!
    I'm an administrator - I usually time my "rides" for when I'm doing a stretch of data entry, computer work.
    Lol I try not to make phone calls when doing it.
    I find I use my core muscles more as I'm concentrating on staying steady enough to type accurately while pedalling.