Moving away from weight watchers - anyone else?

Options
Hi! I'm using MFP to track food for free. I did Weight watchers for a long time, lost 20lb, but hit a plateau because that program doesn't address underlying emotional eating issues. So I'm doing that work in other avenues, but still needed a place to track food without spending $70/ month! So here I am! I will, however, sorely miss their social media platform which was the best. Anyone tried WW and then opted out? - Nikki

Replies

• Strives4Progress
    Strives4Progress Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried it and found it wasn't a great program for me. I'm much happier tracking my calories and macros on mfp. I did pay for 6 months of meetings so I just go weigh in to keep some accountability.
  • kewteepi
    kewteepi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried WW also! Since trying calorie count I prefer this method. I will agree that the WW community on social media was GREAT. Is there a platform here somewhat like WW?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers was a disaster for me. Years back I tried it and felt like I was dying. Then I did a conversion to calories and discovered they were only allowing me 800 calories a day! I dropped them like a hot potato. Also, why pay money needlessly when MFP is free and much more accurate.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tried it and found it wasn't a great program for me. I'm much happier tracking my calories and macros on mfp. I did pay for 6 months of meetings so I just go weigh in to keep some accountability.

You can take part in an accountability thread to substitute for the WW checkins. :)
  • NacoleO
    NacoleO Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do WW online. For now I'm tracking in both apps. But I am thinking of canceling my WW online membership.
  • cmkoob731
    cmkoob731 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did WW as well and love the app and SM but did not like the $50 a month I was spending and the meetings really weren't that great couldn't find anyone to connect with. I did lose 60 lbs though. I've gained 20lbs back that's why I am doing fitness pal I have to be accountable!!
  • Losingformykids1
    Losingformykids1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes!! I just quit WW yesterday in fact. I lost 15lbs on it, but I'd rather track for free and get a gym membership instead!!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    cmkoob731 wrote: »
    I did WW as well and love the app and SM but did not like the $50 a month I was spending and the meetings really weren't that great couldn't find anyone to connect with. I did lose 60 lbs though. I've gained 20lbs back that's why I am doing fitness pal I have to be accountable!!

Ohhhh yeah. I learned some good habits with WW (water, veggies, dairy), but I really do better with more protein then their points allowed. And I was amazed at the amount of woo that would come up in meetings! Doing much better here on MFP -- and saving $50+ a month is pretty awesome, too.

• katpawsx2
    katpawsx2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was going to re-join WW today but decided it was more money than i wanted to spend. Besides, after a few weeks i get crazy counting points and having to figure them out. So, I'm starting tomorrow morning with MFP. B)
  • janetgris
    janetgris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning away from WW too, it's been a great program for me, I love WW! I've lost 46 pounds this year, but I think I've outgrown it. I want to focus more on my health and fitness and I want to know what I'm eating as far as calories, carbs, protein, etc. I'm excited to be here.
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime ww member and tend to do dual tracking from time to time. There is no denying the plan has its place but it doesn't fit for every person/every goal. I think you can lose weight with either method.

You've got this!
  • socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30 lbs with WW then I couldn't maintain. I gained it all back. I joined again and restarted 8 time before I gave up. I think this program is much more realistic for a long term healthy life style change. The last time I went to the doctor I found at I am pre-diabetic. I'm really trying to focus on tracking my sugar now and protein. It's so much easier not having to convert everything to points.

• CirocBda
    CirocBda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ladies
    Keto is the answer
    Joe
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    CirocBda wrote: »
    Ladies
    Keto is the answer
    Joe

If you are so freely providing "the answer" to WW vs. MFP is Keto, could you please elaborate why?
  • Christiee1993x
    Christiee1993x Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I went a couple of weeks. Dropped a stone maybe. But then realised how little calories I was eating, that I'd been feeling rubbish and it tied in with when I began weightwatchers so I used the money I'd spend there weekly and bought some digital scales and weighed myself weekly for free and logged food here for free
  • CirocBda
    CirocBda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I started Keto I did use MFP to track, and it worked well. (13 months ago) but you get to the point you don't need to use MFP because you can finally do it on your own.
    But the problem with the North American diet is really the food pyramid.
    I'm 5'-8" and was 220ibs. 13 months ago, I'm 180ibs have kept it off and my weight fluctuates 2-6ibs.
    Feel the best I ever have.
    Just trying to help you out, I'm not at my goal but now it's not about weight it's about appearance and how toned I am
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I did WW in the past, but got so tired of having to convert food to points, carry all these papers/charts/point conversion tools. Also, I just got tired of having to leave the house to go to meetings and the online WW app wasn't satisfactory to me. PLUS you have to pay while this one is free.
  • netstar45
    netstar45 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just left weight watchers. I think I just got bored with the program. I hit a 6 month plateau and decided to try some other things. I may go back in a year or so. We will see. This is my first time seriously trying MFP. Let's see what happens!
  • bscarlson80
    bscarlson80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also doing keto and really love it! I am down about 14 pounds in about 7 weeks. WW just wasn't working for me anymore. I feel better than I have in years. I think for me it has finally been more about feeling better than losing a set amount of weight.
  • elizjen7
    elizjen7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just quit WW myself last week. I am a lifetime member, but this time around, I hated having to go to meetings and found I wasn't losing any weight. E-tools was a pain at times. However, right now I'm struggling with my weight loss.
    I can't seem to lose on a consistent basis.