Fat burning ideas

Options
Weight going down again but body fat rising. I know I need to work on fat in my diet but does anyone have any fat burning exercises or foods that have worked for you?

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Exercise in general? For food, I am not an expert but as far as I know it's based on the mixture, not on specific foods.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,903 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    How are you determining that your body fat is rising? If you are using body fat scales, those can be inaccurate and can be affected by several factors like your hydration level and the clothes you're wearing. Either way, engaging in some sort of resistance training and eating enough calories and protein will help burn a higher percentage of fat. Fat in your diet has little to no effect on burning fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    andyzee69 wrote: »
    Weight going down again but body fat rising. I know I need to work on fat in my diet but does anyone have any fat burning exercises or foods that have worked for you?

how are you measuring that your body fat is going up?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, and there are no fat burning exercises or foods. Any exercise is going to use a combination of fat stores and glycogen for energy. Focusing on exercise to burn a specific amount of calories isn't always the best approach. It's easy to wash out a workout session with food if you're not paying attention to how much you are eating.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. That's not how it works. Nor does any particular exercise 'fat burn'. Find a workout you enjoy, preferably one that involves some strength training as well as cardio.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How are you determining that your body fat is rising? If you are using body fat scales, those can be inaccurate and can be affected by several factors like your hydration level and the clothes you're wearing. Either way, engaging in some sort of resistance training and eating enough calories and protein will help burn a higher percentage of fat. Fat in your diet has little to no effect on burning fat.

Everything above! ^ Dietary fat should be in a reasonable range but that doesn't affect burning fat. Foods don't burn fat. What fuel burned during exercise doesn't matter. Resistance training and adequate protein are muscle sparing.
    Unless you got a DEXA scan, Hydrostatic Testing or BodPod, I'm guessing your measurement method is giving you an inaccurate conclusion.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any exercise burns a combination of fat & carbohydrates for fuel (in fact you burn a very high proportion of fat for fuel while sleeping) however the source of the fuel has nothing to do with weight loss, ultimately it comes down to energy balance (ie consuming fewer calories than you expend). Having said that there are innumerable other health benefits to starting to be more active (you don't need to bench press a school bus and you don't need to run a marathon).

There are compelling reasons for men over 40 to strength train, we start losing lean muscle mass a a rate of about 1% per year and strength training is one of the best ways to mitigate many of the indignities visited upon us by advancing years (at 61 I'm in better shape than i have been in decades). Ladies don;t feel left out, strength training can help maintain bone density.

Similarly there are no fat burning foods, fat burning pills etc focus on a well balanced diet at a modest caloric deficit. I'm curious how you've determined that your BF % has increased while losing weight.
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I mainly exercise by walking and doing planks for core strength. I measure my body fat using a new set of scales I've got.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you are using body fat scales, those can be inaccurate and can be affected by several factors like your hydration level
    Those ARE inaccurate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    andyzee69 wrote: »
    I mainly exercise by walking and doing planks for core strength. I measure my body fat using a new set of scales I've got.

Body composition scales that use bioelectrical impedance can give you varying results depending on your state of hydration and aren't terribly accurate. Unless you've been eating at an extreme caloric deficit and getting very little protein you probably haven't lost that much muscle mass and are actually losing primarily fat.

Walking is an excellent exercise as it's one we've evolved to be able to do 365 days a year ad infinitum barring any health impediments.