my fitness pal vs lap band

Options
attybell
attybell Posts: 81 Member
I'm 36 have know about mfp for awhile but never really got into it much, I'm scheduled to have lap band soon but my sister
has started using this app and really loves it, now I'm second guessing is this going to be like all other diet/ phases
or should I procede with the surgery

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much you have to lose
    id never have that surgery done

here you count calories and track exercise and its a really good app
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    and you cant just get the lap band and not change your habits - eating and exercise e it don't work like that
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Lap Band Surgery Results - The Bad News

First and foremost is the extremely high rate of minor or annoying lap band problems and lap band complications which have been shown to occur in as many as 33% of patients.6 Problems range anywhere from your body simply not tolerating the band (leading to vomiting or an ongoing feeling of discomfort) to band slippage that can require reoperation. This leads us to the other big negative…

The rate of lap band patients requiring reoperation is high. It has been shown to occur in as many as 37% of patients.6 Reoperation can be the result of not enough weight being lost or complications that require band removal. Our Lap Band Surgery Failure page dives into the particulars.

When comparing the good and the bad lap band surgery results, it’s important to recognize the impact your actions can have.

For example, lap band patients who attend support groups lose noticeably more weight than patients who go it alone.7
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    why not do both - nothing wrong with the lap bad as a tool for weight loss, but without learning to control your portions and make some lifestyle changes the chances of overriding the band are gonna be much higher.

I think the band is a great tool though for sure, most people on here will disagree with me (I have no personal experience with the band - just clarifying)
  • Docmahi
    Options
    Lap Band Surgery Results - The Bad News

First and foremost is the extremely high rate of minor or annoying lap band problems and lap band complications which have been shown to occur in as many as 33% of patients.6 Problems range anywhere from your body simply not tolerating the band (leading to vomiting or an ongoing feeling of discomfort) to band slippage that can require reoperation. This leads us to the other big negative…

The rate of lap band patients requiring reoperation is high. It has been shown to occur in as many as 37% of patients.6 Reoperation can be the result of not enough weight being lost or complications that require band removal. Our Lap Band Surgery Failure page dives into the particulars.

When comparing the good and the bad lap band surgery results, it’s important to recognize the impact your actions can have.

For example, lap band patients who attend support groups lose noticeably more weight than patients who go it alone.7

all surgeries have risks, and implanting of any foreign object can cause the need of future surgical revisions - that doesn't mean they are massive operations - gastric feeding tubes have to be replaces, as do central lines, PTFE dialysis grafts yada yada
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Some Things That Can Go Wrong With Weight Loss Surgery

Pulmonary embolus

The main risk of death from bariatric surgery is the same as with every other abdominal surgery—pulmonary embolus (PE). This is a blood clot which breaks loose and travels from the legs or the pelvis to the lung and lodges there. Once there a part of that lung is unable to transfer oxygen to the blood.

This all starts from a blood clot, known as a deep venous thrombosis (DVT). Most DVT happen during the operation. During the operation a patient is still, which can cause their blood to pool in the legs or the pelvis, and surgery tends to make blood coagulate more easily. This can be a good thing, but if it coagulates while in the blood vessel, it can develop into DVT. There is a classic triad, named after the famous Dr. Virchow, called Virchow’s triad. It states that DVT will occur when there is stasis, injury to the vessel, and hypercoagulability. Well, these two occur during every operation.

Surgery causes a hypercoagulable state—that is, a state where blood tends to clot more. Some medical conditions cause patients’ blood tends to clot. These include Leiden’s disease, low levels of protein C or protein S, and some other conditions.

Surgeons do two things that greatly decrease the risk of DVT. First, they give you an injection of either heparin or a low-molecular weight heparin to keep the blood a bit on the “thin” side. If it is too thin it won’t clot, and during surgery you want your blood to clot some. You will also wear some sequential compression stockings on your legs. These stockings have little air activated pumps which pump up like a roller. You will probably wear these stockings after surgery while you are resting. These stockings work in two ways. The first is obvious— they keep the blood from pooling too much. However, they really work by a more complicated mechanism, one that keeps the blood a bit thin.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I admit, I don't quite get why people get the lap band. Why not just gastric bypass? It seems less annoying/likely to mess up.
  • Docmahi
    Options
    Some Things That Can Go Wrong With Weight Loss Surgery

Pulmonary embolus

The main risk of death from bariatric surgery is the same as with every other abdominal surgery—pulmonary embolus (PE). This is a blood clot which breaks loose and travels from the legs or the pelvis to the lung and lodges there. Once there a part of that lung is unable to transfer oxygen to the blood.

This all starts from a blood clot, known as a deep venous thrombosis (DVT). Most DVT happen during the operation. During the operation a patient is still, which can cause their blood to pool in the legs or the pelvis, and surgery tends to make blood coagulate more easily. This can be a good thing, but if it coagulates while in the blood vessel, it can develop into DVT. There is a classic triad, named after the famous Dr. Virchow, called Virchow’s triad. It states that DVT will occur when there is stasis, injury to the vessel, and hypercoagulability. Well, these two occur during every operation.

Surgery causes a hypercoagulable state—that is, a state where blood tends to clot more. Some medical conditions cause patients’ blood tends to clot. These include Leiden’s disease, low levels of protein C or protein S, and some other conditions.

Surgeons do two things that greatly decrease the risk of DVT. First, they give you an injection of either heparin or a low-molecular weight heparin to keep the blood a bit on the “thin” side. If it is too thin it won’t clot, and during surgery you want your blood to clot some. You will also wear some sequential compression stockings on your legs. These stockings have little air activated pumps which pump up like a roller. You will probably wear these stockings after surgery while you are resting. These stockings work in two ways. The first is obvious— they keep the blood from pooling too much. However, they really work by a more complicated mechanism, one that keeps the blood a bit thin.

flying planes, being a truck driver, professional gamer, medical student (cant move for effing hours), any desk job, all have DVT risks
  • Docmahi
    Options
    I admit, I don't quite get why people get the lap band. Why not just gastric bypass? It seems less annoying/likely to mess up.

much more invasive - not done as much anymore
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    why not do both - nothing wrong with the lap bad as a tool for weight loss, but without learning to control your portions and make some lifestyle changes the chances of overriding the band are gonna be much higher.

I think the band is a great tool though for sure, most people on here will disagree with me (I have no personal experience with the band - just clarifying)

Agree, the lap band is not a magic wand, you will still have to watch what you eat(even more so at first) nothing easy about it. either way you need to log. Surgery should never be entered into lightly and most weight loss surgeries come with counseling first which is Very Important.
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The lap band is a tool and it is only effective if you follow a healthy diet and weight loss. I have a meeting next Friday with a bariatric doctor to go over the options.

I know the decision is not easy. I have people in my family who have done it and not lost much and even gained weight why because they thought it would fix the problem.

if your going to do it make sure that you understand that it is just a tool and not the cure. I know it took me a long time to realize that I need the help to lose weight and that it is going to be a long hard journey before and after the surgery.

Just know that it wont fix the problem but if you stick to diet and exercise it will help very much.

good luck and feel free to add me if you want to talk.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options

much more invasive - not done as much anymore

My mother got gastric bypass two years ago and she was told by her doctor that gastric bypass can be safer because they've had a lot more practice doing it (it's been around a lot longer) and that people can have the band slip/move pretty often. Either way they have to cut you open. Also don't you have to go back in to have the band tightened regularly or something? That really sounds too time consuming.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, lap band/weight loss surgery in general doesn't teach you to develop correct dietary and fitness habits. It forces you to lose weight because you physically can't eat very much anymore (for a while, until you stretch the stomach back out, which is dangerous), but can have a host of complications that you don't want to mess with. But the biggest point is that the surgery acts as a cop-out in replacement for actually developing better habits that you can use throughout your life.

My opinion, don't do it. But it is ultimately your choice as I don't know your particular situation or dietary history. I went from morbidly obese to endurance athlete over a couple years, so if I can do it, you can.
  • attybell
    attybell Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I probably should loose around 90lbs , I'm tall and carry my weight really well but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still in need of some intervention.. After reading all the success stories I cant help but to think maybe I can do this .. really has me thinking
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Personally I would avoid unnecessary surgery.
    Things can go wrong ( yes every day life things can happen too) but why add more risk
    Mfp has worked for so many who stick with it. Its free. Its not life threatening at its worst.
    Try mfp for free first ;)
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can TOTALLY do this! I believe you really can. I've lost over 130 pounds and still dropping by eating better and moving more. Calories in and calories out, really. You can do it, trust us.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know 4 people that had lap band, 3 put the a large portion of the weight back. Because after they lost the weight they went back to drinking soda and eating crap and none of the 3 did or now do any exercise.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to whether you should or shouldn't get weight-loss surgery, though for me, it would be a very last resort, and only under a real medical need to lose weight. That said, you should be doing MFP either way. Many people here do and have been wonderfully successful. Learning all the habits that go with healthy weight loss is just as crucial with weight loss surgery as without. Maybe try it and see how it goes for you. Certainly, I have found the ability to do things here that I thought were impossible for me. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had scheduled a gastric sleeve surgery in December 2012. The weather got crazy and I cancelled. I have now lost 73 pounds by changing my eating habits and MFP. I am so thankful I never had the surgery.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or... I had VSG surgery AND I use MFP. Having the surgery just helps me be able to stick under my calories better... but if I'm not conscious of what I'm eating, I can still go over calories even WITH bariatric surgery so I use MFP to keep me on my toes and also to help me make sure I'm getting all my protein in.

As for whether you actually NEED the surgery or not.. only you know the answer to that question.