Eating habits

Options
I've noticed as over the past year since I have changed my eating habits (for the better) I can't help but notice and comment on the eating habits of my family! For example how much lucozade my brother drinks which is basically just sugar! I feel bad for doing it but i can't help it! Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I appreciate my friends and family still talking to me, and not dreading having to see me, so no. And you can help it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself how that would have made you feel when you were still overweight and unhealthy. Words are cheap. Why not just try leading by example?
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did in the past with my sister who is very heavy but I stopped once I put myself in her shoes. People did that to me when I was big and I hated it so I won't do it to others. You can nicely say that whatever someone is drinking or eating is unhealthy but if they don't care then it's not your problem.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Notice-yes. Comment-no way in H*ll :p
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I notice everything but I rarely comment unless it's my son. I don't think my son needs to drink 260 calorie drinks one after the other....but outside of that - nah, he's a growing boy!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing, commenting on, and hoping to reduce my wife's Coca Cola consumption for 34 years. My weight loss had nothing to do with it.

She quit drinking coke cold turkey each time she was pregnant. All three times, her 7 month weight was less than her conception weight, her full-term weight was about the same as her conception weight, and her post-partum weight was 40 lb less than her conception weight. Her post-delivery weight management plan was always to pack the fat back on with coke.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been really resisting the urge to comment on my spouse and mom's bad habits, but I remind myself that they are grown-up people and their diet is their business. If commenting on someone else's eating choices led to weight loss, no one would be overweight!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope - I never feel the need to act superior to my friends and family by lecturing them on their choices. I assume the are mature adults who can make their own decisions.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not eating habits, but I worry about my parents' fitness level. I've been trying to tell them that strength training isn't just for 'youngsters' (I'm 45; they're in their 70s). And they just laugh me off. I don't bring it up constantly. More like, when they say, "Wow. I'm really impressed that you've taken up dumbbells," I say, "you know, you should too," and give a quick explanation as to how it helps you retain muscle and that even when you're older it helps you slow down the muscle loss. End of the day, though, I have to do me and hope they try doing them.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You maybe can't help but notice, but you can certainly control what you say to other people. It's really none of your business what another person eats/drinks, unless they are your child.