Help need motivation!!!

Options
So I am proud of my loss almost 35 lbs. I am almost at my goal. I figured if you exercise and stay under your calorie goals you should be able to be normal. I am not talking about bad foods all the time. But come on I want to eat chicken wings with the coworkers. Pizza with the kids. Not everyday but I know I have to work extra to eat these things...then why the heck am I gaining? Back slid 5 pounds. Yea i know it's not much but since I barely lose a pound a month...I am looking at freaking 5 months to get rid of them. Sometimes it's just not fair! (whinny I know) It's not like I sit down and eat a bag of oreos...ah oreo the cookie I can't eat anymore. I gave up Mcdonalds and fast food except pizza. Though I eat less pizza than I use to. I gave up real soda. Haven't had one since last October. So why the heck can't I eat bad stuff sometimes. I get tired of eating greens....ugh

How do you stay motivated. I know this is a lifestyle change. I have been at this for almost 2 years. The longest ever. So how do you have cheat days but don't destroy all your hard work?

Replies

• alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When you dscover the answer please let me know!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Cheat day foods usually have a lot of sodium. Also, seems like your calories are all over the board. Maybe time to talk to a dietician or nutritionist?
    And I don't want to come off all "clean eatery" with this last thing, cause I'm not a clean eater, but you do seem to have quite a bit of processed foods in your diary. Maybe sub in some fresh produce??
    Hang in there!! You'll get it figured out!!
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yup I just took a stroll through my diary the last couple weeks have not been my best. How do you eat fresh all the time? Especially with two kids and a man that don't want to eat as they say like rabbits?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since Feb 2011 and the same is true of me. That excess sodium in crap/processed/restaurant food will wreak havoc. Pizza is loaded with it. It doesn't take much of a jump in sodium intake for me to wake up with swollen eyes and fingers. Ugh, I hate that. I watch my sodium more closely than anything else because it can mean a 5 lb difference in one day.
    There are days I just know I will be swollen up from too much sodium the day before, and I accept that BEFORE I do it. I know ahead of time it will take me 3-5 days to drop the extra weight.
    I find a lot of motivation just by checking out MFP and reading how others handle the same things I face. My other motivation is my old body in the mirror -- just looks so much better to see a "normal" size person looking back at me.
    Just take it one day at a time; don't fret. You'll get there.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    I have also noticed that if its less calories it means more sodium... Any snack ideas that actually taste good? Maybe I just need new meal ideas. Seems like we eat the same 10 meals. :frown:
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize that sodium can add that much weight. I burn extra calories on my cheat days. Thinking it would balance out. So even if I do that I can gain if my sodium is way off? Because this 5 pound gain came on in less than two weeks.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sodium can make you look fat because of the water inside your body

sugar also can make you fat

bad fats also

and foods or drinks high in calories

be sure to do cardio and lifting to burn calories and be fit
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    How do you flush the extra sodium if you do go over?
  • lisabinco
    Options
    Yup I just took a stroll through my diary the last couple weeks have not been my best. How do you eat fresh all the time? Especially with two kids and a man that don't want to eat as they say like rabbits?
    Feeding your children nutritious food is like giving them the gift of health. Something you do because it's good for them in the long run, whether they like it or not. It's a change, however, that perhaps should happen gradually rather than all at once. Just focus on one fresh dish a week, then maybe two, and add something fresh a step at a time. Phase out the not-so-fresh-and-healthy stuff gradually. It could be so gradual that no one really notices or minds the change.
    Buy a crockpot. They are wonderful things. Make big batches and freeze in containers for another meal. Get a rice cooker. It will steam veggies of all kinds as well as make rice. And I don't mean that awful quick-cooking rice. I just made a huge batch of wild rice tonight with veggies and low sodium broth -- tasty! -- and the leftovers go in a ziploc baggie (flattened into squares about 1/2 inch thick) and I freeze it; just break off a chunk and microwave it for another dish later.
    Personally, I cook at home a lot more now using as much vegetables and fruits as possible. Hubby has gradually become a fan of my healthy meals. I don't cook everyday. I cook large batches of stuff maybe twice a week, and we eat on that for a week. I have found lots of great recipes for vegetables and fruits. Eating well is more than just salad.
    Small steps will be easier for everyone. You can do this.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    How do you flush the extra sodium if you do go over?
    Occasionally I'll "work it off" with a swim or a long walk, but I'm not a big workout fan. Mostly I know it will dissipate over the next couple of days, and in the meantime I go right back to watching my sodium intake like a hawk.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    how to stay motivated, when you look in the mirror are you satisfied? thats all the motivation i ever need. and you should find about "counting macros" thats what this sight is for. then you can eat pizza some times
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I have also noticed that if its less calories it means more sodium... Any snack ideas that actually taste good? Maybe I just need new meal ideas. Seems like we eat the same 10 meals. :frown:
    Snacks at my house are now raw nuts, grapes, carrots, apple slices or cherries. Whatever's in season. One of my favorite summertime snacks is this: coarsley slice up some fresh strawberries (I do two large containers at a time) into a big Tupperware container. Add about a 1/4 cup of pineapple juice (I use the juice from Del Monte Pineapple in 100% pineapple juice). Let it sit for a day in the 'frig to "marinate." Stir it maybe once. It will sweeten up nicely. It will keep for several days. As a snack, in a bowl, with banana slices and pineapple chunks, it's very nice. You can add a few walnuts or pecans to it, too. The grandkids love it! It's also good on oatmeal or in a smoothie.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Not happy with the mirror image. Not yet anyway. But I am working on that. I was getting there but I noticed my gain was in my gut. The most annoying area to gain.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    So I am proud of my loss almost 35 lbs. I am almost at my goal.
    And by the way, congratulations on the loss of 35 pounds! Very good! Keep that in mind when you get frustrated. That's a real accomplishment.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    thanks was 35 till i weight today. Just adjusted my gain. :( Hoping the sodium i have in my system takes a hike. ;)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) could be your friend. I still have pizza, cookies, chips and ice cream when I want (though usually not all on the same day) by working the rest of my food around to hit my macros for the day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

An example of applying IIFYM:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

Being able to eat things without having any forbidden foods can make a huge difference.
  • docpagala7
    Options
    Here is my blog post about getting your focus and motivation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/docpagala7?month=201303

It's a bit of a read, but this will give you insight from my perspective. Enjoy! :glasses:
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the info...going to check out the links. I appreciate all the help I can get.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Love the blog thanks. Though while siting in front of the boob tube I keep my large water bottle handy. In hopes to curb that comfort food crave while being in active.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons I have easily maintained for well over 2 years now is because I eat whatever I want. I just make sure it fits in my calories and that I try to pick the healthiest versions of my favorites as often as possible. It's a good thing I tend to enjoy healthier foods and don't like most fast food and heavily processed garbage anyway. That makes it easier! I don't eliminate anything because I want to be willing and able to live like this forever. This is my life and I want it to be enjoyable. :drinker: