2 weeks on keto and I feel like I'm stuck.

Options
Hey all so I'm post baby 2 months ago and I've decided to go Keto being that I have PCOS as well (carbs are not my friends). Well me and my husband are 2 weeks in and he's lost a total of 6 lbs and me 1 lb. I'm charting everything I dat staying under 30g of carbs a day until I get adjusted to 20g. Completely cut bread rice and pasta out, following keto recipes but I feel like I'm stuck. I feel like I'm not losing anything or doing it right because I stay hungry through out the day like literally stomach growling and it's so hard but I hold my temptations. I definitely do not want to give up I feel like I can learn to improve. Would love to get feedback and helpful tips

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a very long time. How much do you have to lose?

Importantly, how many calories are you eating?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Calories count when trying to lose weight. Even on ketogenic diets. BTDT, bounced up and down the same 10-15 lbs for three years while eating well under 50 grams of carb a day. Because I was eating thousands upon thousands of calories, sometimes daily, over what I was expending frequently enough to not lose any meaningful weight.

Measure and weigh all foods to be eaten, verify nutrition data against websites, labels, and USDA database vs. trusting the existing database of any tracking site to be accurate, log and track to see where you are at.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Are you breast feeding? Because that is changing your hormones it could be a major factor in your metabolism. Your body does not want you to lose weight, because it wants you to be able to sustain your baby.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    venus92 wrote: »
    Hey all so I'm post baby 2 months ago and I've decided to go Keto being that I have PCOS as well (carbs are not my friends). Well me and my husband are 2 weeks in and he's lost a total of 6 lbs and me 1 lb. I'm charting everything I dat staying under 30g of carbs a day until I get adjusted to 20g. Completely cut bread rice and pasta out, following keto recipes but I feel like I'm stuck. I feel like I'm not losing anything or doing it right because I stay hungry through out the day like literally stomach growling and it's so hard but I hold my temptations. I definitely do not want to give up I feel like I can learn to improve. Would love to get feedback and helpful tips

you mention nothing about the number of calories you are eating in a day - that is all that matters for weight loss.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months post partum and losing weight is a challenge. Your body is still healing from growing and delivering a baby. Why are you trying to be on a diet so soon after having the baby? I'm not dieting... but I am being selective with what I eat and not eating things I don't need at the moment. Excess sugary treats and what not that I might have loved while I was pregnant. I'm also walking 12-15k steps a day and the weight is slowly coming off. Give yourself more time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    I'm 3 months post partum and losing weight is a challenge. Your body is still healing from growing and delivering a baby. Why are you trying to be on a diet so soon after having the baby? I'm not dieting... but I am being selective with what I eat and not eating things I don't need at the moment. Excess sugary treats and what not that I might have loved while I was pregnant. I'm also walking 12-15k steps a day and the weight is slowly coming off. Give yourself more time.

If you're losing weight, you are in a deficit. Whether you are tracking and calling that being on a diet is up to you but you are deficiting; which to me is the same thing.
  • venus92
    venus92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    2 weeks is not a very long time. How much do you have to lose?

Importantly, how many calories are you eating?

17 lbs to go I am tracking on here and I eat about 1300 calories a day it says. Sometimes I eat under because since I'm new to keto idk what to make or eat
  • venus92
    edited July 2017
    Options
    here we go

Here we go?
  • venus92
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Are you breast feeding? Because that is changing your hormones it could be a major factor in your metabolism. Your body does not want you to lose weight, because it wants you to be able to sustain your baby.

I'm not breastfeeding at all
  • venus92
    Options
    wearmi1 wrote: »

Because I'm having surgery and I need my bum to be at a certain number. I've already lost my baby weight and I'm almost to my ore pregnancy weight so all this is my normal weight that has to go
  • venus92
    Options
    lienmiller wrote: »
    If you're not breast feeding, have you considered a product like InstaKetos or other keto supplement? I've been on Keto for about two weeks and drink InstaKetos every morning. Really helps with hunger pangs and helps you get/stay in ketosis at a bit higher carb count. I'm averaging 30-50 carbs a day and have lost more than 10 pounds.

I'll look into that. Thanks
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

1. Are you in ketosis(use strips/smell test)
    2. the first couple weeks are just water weight from your body adapting/adjusting
    3. If you're not reaching satiety, adjust your fat up a bit.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Calories do count, and I'm surprised to hear the first 2 weeks you only dropped 1lb since eating that few carbs will deplete your glycogen and water to the tune of 5-7lbs in most people, sometimes more the more weight they have to lose. If your carbs are that low and you didn't drop water, I would be scratching my head too. That being said, you'd have had to be in a helluva surplus to negate a glycogen drop and break relatively even so I'm even more confused!

ETA: My 2000th post <3 lol

She may not be all the way into ketosis and may not be depleting glycogen as fast as desired... I know that the immediate water weight loss is an attractive side effect of the Keto/LCHF diets.
  • venus92
    Options

2. the first couple weeks are just water weight from your body adapting/adjusting

Ok I'll try that. Like right now I ate lunch grilled chicken with lettuce wrap and I am starving.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Ok I'll try that. Like right now I ate lunch grilled chicken with lettuce wrap and I am starving.

ALSO, like others have said, if you're not in an overall deficit you're not going to lose "real weight" aka fat loss.

Keto is just one tool in a toolbox to help achieve satiety(fullness) in conjunction with a caloric deficit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Calories do count, and I'm surprised to hear the first 2 weeks you only dropped 1lb since eating that few carbs will deplete your glycogen and water to the tune of 5-7lbs in most people, sometimes more the more weight they have to lose. If your carbs are that low and you didn't drop water, I would be scratching my head too. That being said, you'd have had to be in a helluva surplus to negate a glycogen drop and break relatively even so I'm even more confused!

She may not be all the way into ketosis and may not be depleting glycogen as fast as desired... I know that the immediate water weight loss is an attractive side effect of the Keto/LCHF diets.

At 20-30g of carbs/day she'd definitely be depleted by 2 weeks time.
  • stanmann571
    Options

At 20-30g of carbs/day she'd definitely be depleted by 2 weeks time.

30g estimated.

This is MFP, we all know how good most people are at estimating.

And there's lots of places to slip up.