what vitamins should I take to help me out

Options
not looking for diet pills but actual vitamin suggestions, maybe b6 or b12? I need energy and metabolism support.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    When going on a lower calorie diet it is often recommended you take a daily multivitamin. Do not take individual vitamins unless your doctor tells you to. Even a walmart brand will do.
    Do not take gummies, since often they are just vitamins without the minerals. Pretty much candy. For energy, make sure you are tracking your protein intake. Woman's daily minimum is 46 grams / day. My minimum goal is 70grams/ day.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    B12 only increases your energy level if you are actually deficient
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil. I figure Vitamin D I get plenty of from food and/or the sun. My calcium levels seem to be fine based on the foods I eat. MFP has a report feature, if you are curious you can see your daily amounts for different vitamins. Not everything is tracked accurately but it can give you an idea. Potassium is one that isn't tracked by most labels so ignore that one, you're likely getting 10x more than what MFP reports.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Regular cardio exercise did the most for my energy/metabolism. Enough food helps too, as has been mentioned.

Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is low on Vitamin D. I suggest to all women of childbearing age that they take a Folic Acid supplement (or a pregnancy multi).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    A GP can test for deficiencies in a lot of these - I'd start with that and then ask the doctor what they recommend.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i take methyl versions of B vitamins
    and vitamin D as cholecalciferol
  • Lindseyh717
    Lindseyh717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    alright I will start with a non gummy multivitamin and as for testing for any deficiencies, I can't I have no insurance and my last blood work cost 1000 for just a simple iron test.
    but I appreciate everyone's input. advice is the best thing for me right now.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those tests are expensive. And even with insurance, people have to pay a deductible out of pocket. A vitamin D test once cost me $350 because I asked for it. I had no medical need for it, therefore insurance did not pay. That is why.... I take a multivitamin... I'm not rich.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I take a daily vitamin that's supposed to support weight loss, it's vitamin code- perfect weight... it's basically just a regular multivitamin but loaded with B vitamins and some green tea extract, but in all honesty if you're loading up on B vitamins and your urine looks like it can glow in the dark then you're peeing out your money lol...
    But I like vitamin code, even the regular women's multivitamin they have as the vitamins are food based and absorb better, and you don't need to eat before taking them! They're usually at your local vitamin shoppe
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Unless you are deficient of something, a multivitamin will do. If there is any possibility you might want to conceive, take a prenatal instead. Women's multivitamins have more Folic Acid, prenatals have even more.

I also take fish oil because I have found, anecdotally, I do not get constipated when I take one regularly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I take a daily vitamin that's supposed to support weight loss, it's vitamin code- perfect weight... it's basically just a regular multivitamin but loaded with B vitamins and some green tea extract, but in all honesty if you're loading up on B vitamins and your urine looks like it can glow in the dark then you're peeing out your money lol...
    But I like vitamin code, even the regular women's multivitamin they have as the vitamins are food based and absorb better, and you don't need to eat before taking them! They're usually at your local vitamin shoppe

multi vitamins do nothing for weight loss...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - there is no vitamin that boosts metabolism...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Huh, that was definitely a privilege moment for me, sorry about that - my insurance covers pretty through blood-work once a year and I assumed that was normal. And of course, if you don't have insurance you don't have insurance. I wouldn't jump to expecting much result from vitamins/supplements if you're not actually in a deficient situation, but a multi-vitamin is unlikely to hurt.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I take MegaFoods women one daily--it has everything you need
  • nattysjourney
    nattysjourney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take my one a day vitamins and add 2 fish oil vitamins as well
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I love my gummy vitamins. I was low on Vitamin D. Doc told me to take it. Then months later checked labs again. Now I was way too high. So if you take the D, get retested later on.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    GNC has a mini multi I take and I also take a probiotic. That's it.