Running: How much is too much?

I've been running for a while now, and ran a lot in my youth. Since I've dropped 85+ lbs and am within 15lbs of goal weight, I've really upped my game. Originally I targeted 5k, and once I was consistently able to run 3 miles, I looked for 10k training plans. I don't have a race in mind per-se, more something to keep me on track. I've been following this: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. I found week 1 and 2 very easy, so I jumped to week 4. I still feel like I could do more, and have a hard time getting lighter workouts in on the cross train days, so I end up with basically 4 rest days and 3 running days, and I'm left wanting more.

Since I'm not actually training for a race, can I or should I run more frequently?

I feel like I finally got the hang of this and ran one day for 4.5 miles, and while I was definitely tired when I was done, ran it slow enough I was able to maintain a solid pace throughout the run and could have kept going.

Suggestions?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Duh. Maybe my answer was "Click on the Intermediate" link: http://halhigdon.com/training/51123/10-K-Training-Guide-Intermedite-Program. This seems more like what I'm capable of and has more running days. I really struggle with non-running days because I don't really know what to do.

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    It's smart to stick to a plan when building mileage so that you don't overdo it, so it's good that you found one you like.

My recommendation is to work in some form of strength training as cross-training. I very strongly believe that this can help with injury prevention for runners, especially when you're increasing mileage, and starting to run higher miles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How long is "awhile"?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Cross training is a good idea, what do you struggle with?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Hey that's awesome that you have so much energy and can go beyond the training program! I don't think there's a limit on how much is "too much"; as long as you are staying healthy and injury free, making sure your shoes fit you properly and suit your biomechanics, and most importantly, as long as you feel good, go as long as you want. If you are craving shorter faster runs, or untimed runs exploring a park or a trail, or if you find a race you feel motivated to sign up for, then do that. You can build in so much variety into your running; just keep it fun.
  • fitoverfortymom
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How long is "awhile"?

Recently? Around 3 months. I've ran off and on for years.
  • fitoverfortymom

I don't know what to do other than walk.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    There are tons of workouts online that you can stream (Body Rock, Daily Burn, Fitness Burner etc). This would be a nice way to cross train on your non running days! It is best to take some rest from running. Strength training would a be an even better option. :)
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    General advice is not to up your mileage by more than 10% per week. This is especially true for new runners and those returning from injury. Also, consider a strength / core work out on your non running days. Or, if you chose do one or both of the strength / core after a run.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Sorry meant to add that the 10% rule and strength/core to support running is to help prevent injuries. If you are looking for a cross training sport try swimming. It will definitely support your running.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    I find that yoga and strength training help my running. I use these acitivities for active recovery days. I learned the hard way that just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. :)

I recently discovered kettlebell strength training. The workout kick my butt! Really works the core muscles (that are important for runners).
  • fitoverfortymom
    I do think the core (and other) strength work will benefit me the most now, so rather than upping my runs, I can focus on that. I'm a little time and resource constrained, so free videos in the basement it will have to be.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    If you intend to keep upping your mileage walking on your off days is a good recovery, cross training like other folk have said a little strength training and agree stick to 10% increases, just think by Christmas you would be up to 40 miles for a long run and 80 miles a week sticking to the 10% rule. 100 miles a week is top end, a lot of runners are in the 40-50 miles a week range.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Any amount of time is too much running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Swimming or cycling go well with running.

I run 3x a week, bike 2 x and on biking days add in some bodyweight resistance work. Other days I'll just walk.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    You can run as often as you like. Its called "run streaking" (not the other kind of streaking hahahaha)

Cross training wise, do anything that's not running! Cycling, Swimming, Rowing, Strength training... all of it is important so find something you enjoy :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

I ride my bike, lift weights, and sometimes yoga. Find something else you enjoy.

If you want a home workout check out the Iron Strength DVD.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I really like the advice you are getting.
    1) Do not increase your mileage by more than 10 percent per week to avoid injury.
    2) If you want something more, find something else to do and cross train: Lift weights, or practice yoga, or swim, or bike, or take a spin class, or do Crossfit, or walk, or.......
  • fitoverfortymom
    Wow. This is all so helpful. I'm definitely going to stick with the novice plan I've been on and am going to work on finding other things I enjoy to cross train. I mean, I'm mostly running simply to see how far I can take it, but I'm in no hurry. I definitely dont want a setback due to injury. I'm also 15lbs from my goal weight and really want to have a solid, active plan in place as I ease into maintenance.