New to running = knee pain.. ouch!

Options
Hi all,

So, after years of avoiding exercise at all costs, I realize it's time to start moving if I ever want to reach my fitness goals. I've been using MFP for the past 2 weeks and I'm down 2.5 lbs, so I'm happy about that- but I understand exercise plays a big role in weight loss. I've started walking u p to 4 miles each day (brisk walk) and over the past week I've included intervals of light jogging into the routine. I've never been a runner, and I'm sure I look quite ridiculous doing it- but it feels good.. everywhere except for my knees! Is this normal? I've found that if I walk 10 min, jog 2, walk 10, jog 3, etc.. it helps a little.. I'm taking baby steps and just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction :blush:

Thanks!!

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Focus on taking short, quick, light steps. Overstriding and having your heel be the first point of contact with the ground are hard on your knees.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You need to warm up differently when running. Try about 30 squats and 30 lunges each leg. Look into the c25k program. Tons of threads on here about that.
  • mgesa1227
    mgesa1227 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey! I experienced that. I was running almost daily for close to 2 weeks and I think I gave myself a case of runners knee. Ice and limiting activity for a couple of days seemed to help, and when I started working out again I opted for the elliptical. Within a week and a half I was able to run again. I've also started using weights to build up my leg muscles, and strength in general. Seems to be helping!
  • oo7nrw
    oo7nrw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another possible issue could be over pronation. You can try out some arch support and see if it helps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes normal, but not necessarily ok . Dont do things that cause you knee pain. It can take a while to toughen up your knees, you should do a program like c25K that eases you into running. Also if you are overweight that will make it even harder on your knees. make sure you have the correct shoes.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Couch to 5K program, too. I've downloaded the app on my phone (it's from Zen Labs) and have been enjoying it, as it eases you gradually into running. I'd also encourage you to go to a local running store and have someone there fit you for new shoes. Good shoes make all the difference for me. When I went, they had me try five different pairs of shoes from different companies and studied my jogging gait. I'm very happy with what I have, and suffer no shin splints, ankle strains, or knee pain. But for now: stick to walking.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Oh! And if you aren't already running on a good surface, that might be affecting your knees. Pavement can be brutal. If you can find a nearby area with running trails, or can use the local high school track, that might help.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing? If you haven't already visit a local running store. They should look at your gate and then suggest appropriate shoes. Usually they have a treadmill set up to test shoes out. A good proper shoe can make a world of difference. Also make sure you track the mileage on your shoes, and replace them when needed.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Others have said it, but I want to say it again ... shoes. They make all the difference. I'm flat footed, so I assumed that I over-pronate and bought stability shoes online specifically for over-pronators. My knees killed. I finally listened to every runner ever and went to a running shoe store. Feet flat as a board, but neutral stride. Bought new shoes, no knee pain ever since.

Long story short, check into a possible issue with your shoes. Going to a running store, if that's an option for you, would be a great idea
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Physiotherapy worked for my bad knees. Always warm up before a run and incorporate the exercises your physiotherapist gives you. Mine recommended a resistance band. Don't skip the stretches after a run either.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You need to warm up differently when running. Try about 30 squats and 30 lunges each leg. Look into the c25k program. Tons of threads on here about that.

I never warm up before running other than by walking.

What shoes are you wearing OP? maybe decrease your running intervals to start with.

Rest and ice your knee till the pain stops.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing OP? Are they running shoes or just run of the mill trainers? Even though you think you are only jogging, running shoes are an excellent investment and the right ones should stop any knee pain :)

X
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago and I did have some knee pain for the first month. It wasn't that bad so I was able to live with it and as I got more used to running it went away and hasn't come back! I'm certainly not an expert and generally you probably don't want to ignore pain, but that as my experience when first starting out
  • pebs24390
    pebs24390 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This can be ligament weakness or weak knees in general , both can be improved by knee supports and try to run on soft ground to avoid as much shock to the knees as possible . If u can try cycling or swimming as they are less strenious on joints.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Same problem here .. shoes make a huge difference . I pronate my feet so invested in great shoes with much arch support and a very sturdy sole ( Aasics have a great variety ) . Also you can add some Dr scholls inserts to absorb some of the shock while running . Don't overdue it at first , rest and ice your knees and shins on off days . Also build your hamstrings and quads to better support your knees . Oh and run on grass or asphalt instead of harder surfaces like concrete :blush:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    quad stretch - heel to bum, close eyes and sweat, try to 'relax' into it from the front of the hip - helped a lot the couple of times i tried to become a runner and was instantly terrified that i'd ruined my knees forever. i'm a cyclist, so overactive/tight quads are perennial in my life and running probably just tips me over the edge.

still can't/won't/don't run, but doing that stretch did ease a lot of the pressure from the rectus femoris tendon across my kneecaps while they were suffering.

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, shoes! Also some weight lifting to strengthen leg muscles and correct imbalances helps. You have the right idea easing into it and doing run/walk intervals. I'm glad you feel good!

Also some people have crappy knees and just can't run. Talk to a doctor/PT if you still have knee pain; contrary to popular belief, running shouldn't hurt.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SHOES!!! If you haven't go to Fleet Feet or another Running shoe store and get fitted.

Good shoes will change your life.

Also. slow down.. your pace....your cadence... your distance... as a beginning runner

C25K is one good program.
  • four_bumblebees
    four_bumblebees Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K I had horrible knee pain even at week 1, to the point where I was limping around and I had to take a month off. I got good shoes and started stretching more and that helped, but only a bit. I finally went to a chiropractor and it turned out that my hips were rotated and it was straining my knees. He put them back into place, gave me some more stretches to do, and I have since completed C25K and haven't had any problems with my knees! Hip problems may not be the solution for you and definitely don't discount the importance of good shoes, easing into it, etc., but if that still doesn't work then it might be something to look into.
  • ineedtogain1011
    ineedtogain1011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Warm up.