Injured :( How do you stay motivated?

Options
So I tore a tendon in my foot.

Which means -- I need to recalculate my macros based on this new period of NOT doing a mixture of Insanity and weight training for a bit.

Recommendations? Anybody had to do this? How do you stay motivated? For me, the fitness piece of it is a huge component and helps a lot of other things fall into place. I think I could still manage some lifting? But right now it hurts like hell to walk so I'm taking it easy.

And at 187 pounds (6'1) male.... wondering if I should cut back to 1700 calories from my usual 2000 for weight loss.

Thoughts from folks?

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Healing something like that will involve some regrowth, and may be better served by looking at a eating at maintenance (or more) through your recovery to help assure a rapid return to activities.

Your weight has you in a healthy range for your height now (which is awesome!), and a 6-week break from a lot of lower body weight bearing exercise may not be too terrible. As you mentioned, there are quite a few muscles that can be strengthened without loading your feet too heavily.

As for the motivation... I choose to look at the causality for the injury, find some kinda "do better next time" frame of mind and move forward. I've seen similar injuries in people overworking their bodies (insufficient recovery) while in caloric deficit. Find the cause for your injury, get your body healthy and aim to KICK-A5S as you come out of this. A short recuperative rest/recovery as you focus on other body areas, and the on your rehabilitation would be motivation enough for me...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your body needs calories to heal. You should not cut back calories further than you are already doing.
    Upper body weights will help you feel better once you can walk more easily.
    How about swimming?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Change your calorie goal to maintenance, you need to fuel the healing process.

Do what you can with regards to exercise.
    Maybe use machines at the gym instead of free weights. You can probably convert some of your freeweight exercises to the machines quite easily.

Would you be able to use the rowing machine for cardio? The concept 2 site is great for motivation and runs challenges.

There are loads of seated or floor routines on YouTube if you are stuck at home.

If all else fails, lock the kitchen door and binge watch your favourite shows (jk B))

Hope the healing goes well.
    Cheers, h.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I tore my Achilles a few years ago and had to give up running for a while. I was pretty happy when my doctor referred me to a physical therapist so I could start strengthening that area again while it healed. The same thing happened when I tore my meniscus. These long-term recovery periods are hard to deal with emotionally, because you really want to move around and being sidelined is such a drag. Anyway, it was physical therapy and doing something positive for recovery that helped me stay motivated.

I actually wouldn't cut back calories. I think your body needs the fuel to repair itself, but that's just my opinion based on no facts whatsoever.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Healing something like that will involve some regrowth, and may be better served by looking at a eating at maintenance (or more) through your recovery to help assure a rapid return to activities.

Your weight has you in a healthy range for your height now (which is awesome!), and a 6-week break from a lot of lower body weight bearing exercise may not be too terrible. As you mentioned, there are quite a few muscles that can be strengthened without loading your feet too heavily.

As for the motivation... I choose to look at the causality for the injury, find some kinda "do better next time" frame of mind and move forward. I've seen similar injuries in people overworking their bodies (insufficient recovery) while in caloric deficit. Find the cause for your injury, get your body healthy and aim to KICK-A5S as you come out of this. A short recuperative rest/recovery as you focus on other body areas, and the on your rehabilitation would be motivation enough for me...

I didn't think about that, and could be part of the problem.

I've lost over 40 pounds since January (which I know is a lot) so I've been keeping to deficit for sure. I've been doing a mixture of Beachbody Insanity, running, weight training, running stairs and cycling 4-5 times a week... often to exhaustion.

Getting to healthy BMI was one my biggest goalpost!

Thanks for the advice. I'll switch to maintenance for now and try to do some weight training when I'm walking better. Doctor has me on a steroid and said "take it easy on the Insanity workouts for now."