Did Birds Eye increase the calories on their frozen whole grain brown rice by 100?

Options
Shortieweightloss
Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
A few weeks ago, I used up some old bags of Birds Eye frozen brown rice that had been sitting in my freezer for a few months, and I very distinctly remembered the rice being 150 calories per serving. So today, I was measuring out a serving of the rice from a recently purchased bag since it fit my calorie budget, when I noticed the bag said it was 250 calories per serving. I looked up pictures of the nutrition labels online because I was wondering if I was going crazy. In fact, it looks like Birds Eye is now saying there are 100 more calories for LESS rice than they previously listed a serving as. The label used to say it was 150 calories per 1 cup, and now it says 250 calories per 3/4 cup.

Here is a page with the old label: https://www.meijer.com/product/grocery/frozen/birds-eye-steamfresh-brown-rice-10-oz-bag/t1/t1-865/t2/t2-9975/1450001280.uts

Here's the new one: https://www.birdseye.com/product/rice/

Am I missing something or are these the exact same products?

It's upsetting to think I was eating 100+ calories more than I was logging. When you're really short like me, those 100 calories make a difference!

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The packaging seems to think that 3/4 of a cup is 143g but 1 cup is 136g, so that's odd in itself!

The old one lists the ingredients as just water and rice, does your new packaging state anything in addition to those? The birdseye website won't show me :(
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm sure there was a thread on the same product a couple of months ago...

It could be that the labeling was wrong, or they cook it differently - perhaps more or less water is absorbed?

ETA - tagged you in the post
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The packaging seems to think that 3/4 of a cup is 143g but 1 cup is 136g, so that's odd in itself!

The old one lists the ingredients as just water and rice, does your new packaging state anything in addition to those? The birdseye website won't show me :(
    The ingredients are just water and rice on the new packaging as well!
    I'm sure there was a thread on the same product a couple of months ago...

It could be that the labeling was wrong, or they cook it differently - perhaps more or less water is absorbed?

ETA - tagged you in the post

Thank you! Seems no one really knew for sure what was going on in the other thread either. This is making me very hesitant to trust Birds Eye, which sucks because I rely a lot on their products given I just cook for myself and making fresh meals from scratch is often more trouble than it's worth. :(
  • eleonard1995
    eleonard1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Literally just had the same problem when picking up a bag for the first time in a few months. I definitely knew it was 150 and a cup now less in a serving and 100 more cals?! I can't believe there isn't more about this, I checked birds eye website and they have the nutrition as 250, so it seems someone had been lying for years now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've seen some very fishy stuff with frozen veggies.