Fasting for weight control, and so much more WOW!

Options
124»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    I do daily intermittent fasting. Not too strict. I just go 18-20 hours since I last ate. Finished last night around 830pm so today Ill eat at 230 pm and finish hopefully by 730 pm. Ill take in around 2400 cals and it maintains my weight. I feel great and havent been this cut since my 20's.

I find when Im in a rut if I compress the time frame to 4 hour eating windows, it works best for me. I can take in 1800 cals, feel stuffed and be 600 cals under my daily target.

Coffee, water and keeping busy gets me thru the fasting period.

I find on say a 2 day fast like I am starting this evening there is part of me when approaching the breaking of it that does not want to finish, It's is a feeling that is hard to explain and I am still as a newbie trying to articulate it.

And for those saying fasting is not normal and not good for the body, it is completley the opposite I am starting to discover.

Human evolution has taken 100,000's of years to evolve, what is not normal is three plus meals a day at regular intervals with a nice little breakfast in the morning, that constant producing of insulin, no wonder we have so many weight problem issues and diabetes today. What has been normal is constant fasting with the need for fast busts of energy and strength when that moment comes when a food source is available, so would the body really take it's energy from muscle when they would so badly be needed. But then obviously a fast can go too long, drought for example, then the muscle becomes an option.

If humans have evolving as you state, why would 3 meals a day not be normal now for where we've evolved to? Why should we eat the way we did back then, if we are no longer the way we were back then? This doesn't make sense to me.

That is why there is so much obesity and food related illnesses.. because humans are now eating so much more and frequently.

Bad food is marketed in a way that I think should be criminal in the way it makes people ill, and then we have the huge pharmaceutical companies to make all their food related illness better

Personally, I think much of it is that our food consumption habits have not changed where our lifestyle habits have. People just are not active anymore so they are not burning off the calories consumed.

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do extreme fasting. Just do 16:8, or me I prefer 23:1. Whatever works for you. But as mentioned above, you shouldn't consume anything but water during your fasting state.
  • kokonani
    Options
    I'm not fasting for weight loss, but rather maintenance. I tend to overeat if I eat 3 meals a day. Somehow starting the day with breakfast triggers a eating binge and makes me hungry all day. But fasting actually does the opposite and doesn't make me hungry until it's my eating time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love how fasting melts those inches off!t667565uugd23.jpg;)

All that lean muscle just melting right off... ok. :noway:

No, does not work like that.

Your body burns glucose from your liver in the majority of people, and when that is not available it eats away at fat stores and any other proteins sources and waste, even scar tissue before muscle even becomes an option, and that is a long way down the road.

Right... and that's healthy? K. No thanks.

Yes it is

take it we are going to get no more interuptions from you now seeing as though you are so anti, Bye

And thanks for massive contribution

I'll answer what I want. Have fun starving yourself.

How is it I'm "starving" myself when I eat like a King,?? I can eat basically anything I want and loads of it!! I have my cake and eat it too- literally!!

Who are you in the quoted portions? I'm trying to follow the conversation and don't see how she claimed you were starving yourself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I wish people would also stop using the term "water fasting." Noone calls it that. It's just fasting. People still drink water during a normal fast in any country that I've ever been in (which include a *kitten* ton of muslim countries)

I don't think it is to emphasize that they still drink water during fasting, but that they drink nothing else. I have heard of broth fasting, kale soup fasting, fasting with specially mixed herbal teas and so much more. All of those are fasting. Water fasting is just the one with nothing but water.

All of those other things are NOT fasts. Fasting is taking in NO NOURISHMENT for a designated period of time. Water is allowed because it is not nourishing.

I have fasted for religious reasons. Usually a day but once for 3 days. I would never do it for weight loss purposes.

Cannot say I am fasting for religious reasons, but I totally get the spiritual reasoning why people do it, had a great chat with a muslim gut the ither day about fasting.

I am coming around to seeing fasting as a great way to re balance the body mental and physical. I am reading up a lot at the moment on the subject of the increase in HGH, which if done naturally, which it is in this case, has huge health benefits for people, also reading up a lot on insulin while fasting. Which in a rounabout way leads to healthy weight control, not just the shedding of weight during the fast,

Part of it is for the discipline and part of it is so you can devote the time normally taken up by the preparation and eating of meals to spiritual matters (praying, meditation, scripture reading, etc.)

I do not advocate fasting for weight loss and you really cannot "reset" your body but if someone chooses to not eat for a day to mentally prepare them for beginning a weight loss program I would tell them to go for it. A day without food will harm nobody . . . but those with specialized nutritional needs like pregnant women, insulin dependent diabetics, etc. should not do it.

Agree with this.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    hmm I guess when I eat and snack throughout the day I should be fat and have insulin problems then. I dont have any of those issues. insulin doesnt make a person fat or obese.I made myself that way from eating way too much food.

I was always thin until I started becoming less active and eating more.even while obese I didnt have any insulin issues. for some they dont produce enough insulin,some dont produce enough, for some its genetic and has no bearing on their way of eating.

so saying being fat is because you have insulin issues from eating all day is a blanket statement.if you are eating too much food and become overweight sure you can develop diabetes but a thin person can also develop diabetes.

for me many times I do 16:8 because Im not a big breakfast person. some days Im hungry and eat breakfast. some people may also overeat while fasting too which can cause weight gain as well. some people cant fast because of hypoglycemia and other health issues.

• kokonani
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Your body burns glucose from your liver in the majority of people, and when that is not available it eats away at fat stores and any other proteins sources and waste, even scar tissue before muscle even becomes an option, and that is a long way down the road.

Yes it is

take it we are going to get no more interuptions from you now seeing as though you are so anti, Bye

How is it I'm "starving" myself when I eat like a King,?? I can eat basically anything I want and loads of it!! I have my cake and eat it too- literally!!

Who are you in the quoted portions? I'm trying to follow the conversation and don't see how she claimed you were starving yourself.

Chef barbell said , "have fun starving yourself". On fasting.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes it is

Chef barbell said , "have fun starving yourself". On fasting.

The fasting being referred to is the nothing but water for multiple days not IF like you are doing. Two completely different beasts.

Exactly... seems like 2 or more different convos in one thread. It's hella confusing.
This discussion has been closed.